"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > New Member Introductions!

Old 08-09-2007, 09:10 AM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by italy
wahh you are all expert in cooking.. saw it from the left hand side below your username.
Hi, Italy. That's something the forum software adds automatically as the number of times you post increases. I can't find a page that lists the levels and how many posts correspond to each level, though. Maybe one of the admins can chime in.

Old 08-09-2007, 12:58 PM   #12
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic
Hi, Italy. That's something the forum software adds automatically as the number of times you post increases. I can't find a page that lists the levels and how many posts correspond to each level, though. Maybe one of the admins can chime in.
haha.. ic.. thought it refers to your job or something like you guys are an expert but still ... you guys must have more experience than i am.. :p

italy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 01:40 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
haha.. ic.. thought it refers to your job or something like you guys are an expert but still ... you guys must have more experience than i am.. :p
Well, in his case, his user ID does refer to his job Click on his name, then on "Find more posts by this user," or something like that. Good stuff.
Old 08-10-2007, 04:43 AM   #14
Assistant Cook

right.. haha then i could be an expert when i post a lot of messages..
without having to learn to cook better.. that sounds interesting haha.. :p
Old 08-10-2007, 09:05 AM   #15
Master Chef

Actually, though there are professional chefs and cooks on this site, there are a lot of talented ameteurs as well. And you will find recipes and techniques from all over the world.

Look at the different categories for ideas. Often, you can find something that looks interesting, and use it as inspiration to create something quite unique and tasty. Look at the techniques used in the recipes.

It doesn't reall matter where you live. A piece of beef reacts the same way to the same techniques wherever you are. Eggs cook the same way in boiling water here as they do where you live. Cornstarch thickens a sauce the same way as well. You see what I mean?

NO matter what cuisine you love, learning a variety of cooking techniques will give you more freedom to create the foods you love, and your very own heirloom recipes. We can certainly help by giving advice and instruction. But the best teacher is experience. Enjoy your journey through the culinary world and don't limit yourself to the cooking styles and techniques from just one area of the world.

As was stated by a famous American inventor (Thomas Edison) "Genius is ten percent inspiration and ninety percent persperation."

This means that you achieve you goals through hard work. There is no substitute.

Seeeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 12:46 PM   #16
Assistant Cook

hei Goodweed of the north... Wah i like you enthusiasm.. that is very encouraging... thank you !!!

with quote from TAEdison.. good stuff.. what about you ? how skillful are you after joining this forum? or are you already an expert when joining this forum?

wah i am so lucky to join this forum..

will keep learning and searching..

Old 08-10-2007, 05:07 PM   #17
Master Chef

Quote:
hei Goodweed of the north... Wah i like you enthusiasm.. that is very encouraging... thank you !!!

with quote from TAEdison.. good stuff.. what about you ? how skillful are you after joining this forum? or are you already an expert when joining this forum?

wah i am so lucky to join this forum..

will keep learning and searching..

Some might call me expert. But I'm far from that. I am an above average amature who has tried so many different things, and has a lot of experiance behind me, ever with an eye to imporving my skills.

That being said, I don't think that there are very many things that I can't handle in the kitchen.

Seeeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North.

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Old 08-10-2007, 07:26 PM   #18
Assistant Cook

hei.. see your pic.. i can see that you are expert..
it has only been two years since i can really hold a knife correctly..
starting with simple dishes and now learning how to make my favourite italian food myself..
YEs it is a journey.. and it will be wonderful
Old 08-11-2007, 09:58 AM   #19
Master Chef

The recipe I'm giving you certainly is not Itallian. But it is deliscious and will give you a basic batter that can be used in so many ways. It is "Goodweed's World Famous Pancakes". I hope you can translate from my British standard measurements to metric. Enjoy.

World’s Best Pancakes

These pancakes are so light, fluffy, and moist, they leterally melt in your mouth. The flavor is classic, slightly sweet, but with a ballanced flavor between all ingredients. Once you have tried this recipe, you will never again use a box mix.

Another great thing about this recipe is that you can mix a large batch of the dry ingredients in advance, then place them into an airtight container and scoop out what you need for however many people you are going to serve.

To go a step further, I one time mixed in enough powdered milk to make 1 cup per cup of flour used, and enough powdered egg to make 1 egg per cup fo flour. Then, when I went camping, I just added water and the pancakes were as good as when made from all fresh ingredients.

You will have fun changing this recipe by adding things like M & M’s or peanuts, or bits of banana. I’ve added maple extract, or used maple syrup in place of sugar. I’ve add vanilla and nutmeg. You can really get creative, as long as all of the basic ingredients, both wet and dry, are there. Enjoy.

The key to these pancakes is proper technique. Follow this recipe and you will be known as the pancake king or queen of your household.

Dry Ingredients:
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 tbs. Sugar or sweetener of choice (I use Splenda)
½ tsp. salt
1 tbs. Double-acting baking powder (Calumet or Clabber Girl brand)

Wet Ingredients”
¾ cup milk
3 tbs. Cooking oil
1 large egg.

Preheat an elctric griddle, or suitable non-stick, or cast-ion pan. For an electric griddle, heat to 370 degrees. For the other two pans, heat until water dances on the surface.

Combine all dry ingredients into a large, stainless steel, glass, or plastic bowl with a wire whisk. Add the wet ingredients and stir until blended in. But do not overmix as this will toughen the pancakes. Leave small lumps in the batter. They will disappear as the pancakes cook.

Spoon the three to four tbs. of batter onto the cooking surface. If I catch you squishing the cooking pancakes with a spatula, I’ll come over and whap your hands. Once they are cooking, leave them alone! Turn when bubble appear on the surface, but before they remain open. Cook for about forty more seconds. Remove and serve immediately.

This batter also works well for waffles. If you thin it with more liquid, and add an extra egg, you have a wonderful crepe batter. If you substitute conrstarch for ½ of the flour, you have a very good tempura batter.

As I said above, play with the recipe after learning to make the original. Make it yours. And feel free to share it with others, so long as they know where it originated. It is copyright protected by law. And I don’t charge for this, my signature recipe.

Enjoy.

From the kitchen of Bob Flowers

Seeeeeya: Goodweed of the North

Old 08-11-2007, 04:30 PM   #20
Assistant Cook

wahhh thank you so much goodweed.. will try them soon when i have time.. and will give you the feedback..

hey it seems like you like baking? or you do like cooking generally? well i can learn from you though haha..

regards,

Italy