Hi! My name is not-so-slim Shady!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The Late Night Gourmet

Assistant Cook
Seriously, though...my name is Rob. I'm very glad I found this site! Here's a little bit about me:

I have two teenagers who keep things very busy around our house during the daytime. I also work long hours at Ford Motor Company, and I do want to spend time with my family every day. If I try to cook when my kids have their friends over, I'm certain to be interrupted. In other words, my available times for cooking are very limited. I don't want to give up on anything I love - my family, my job, my cooking - so I do most of my cooking after everyone has gone to bed. My wife is a teacher, so this can be very late at night during the summer. Sometimes, I don't get started with my prep work until 12:30 a.m. Am I crazy?? Maybe. I'm also constantly working on healthier ways to prepare food. I deconstruct every recipe I like, and try to make it with healthier ingredients. The big challenge is keeping the food tasty.

Hi Rob, and welcome!
So you are basically doing make ahead meals to be served at another time? That works for many meals, but not for a last minute healthy Stir Fry for example.

Hmmm...I never thought of it that way, but I suppose that's what I'm doing. This might be meals for lunch the next day, or a freshly-made pasta or stew that can be enjoyed throughout the week. Last night/this morning, I made rice pudding, candied almonds, and - for the first time - baklava. Everything came out well, with a minimum of smoke on the stove. ;)

We often make 2-3 mains ahead on our days off. They are either finished during the week or ready to just heat up. Sides are done the day we are having that meal.

I have two jobs, one of which is seasonal. The seasonal is in full swing right now and I work at least 6 days, so have little spare time.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom