Hi new canadian member

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kawarthagal

Assistant Cook
:rolleyes: Hi everyone,this is Lynda from Oshawa Ontario.I found this site while looking for canadian thanksgiving recipes.I'm an avid user of my crock pot (I've got 2 of em).I also cook using my oven and not much by microwave.
I love cooking simple inexpensive nutricious recipes.I'm always looking for new ideas>as i cook for one other person.Also I am looking for heart smart recipes (not full of fats) as i am over 40 and really starting to watch what we eat.
I work full time at a demanding job and love to cook especially when i've got my days off or on the weekends.We like chicken :chicken: and fish recipes,pastas etc but not much into the beef and pork.
My interests are in older recipes like the kind your grandma has and old :chef:british recipes .

Welcome kawarthagal!

You've come to the right place. There's lots of good information and you'll meet friends you won't have imagined being without. Great site.

I, too, am a fan of the crockpot. Won't even admit how many I have. There are only two of us here also, so I can relate when it comes to downsized cooking. You'll get lots of answers.

Glad to have you with us and greetings from your southern neighbor!

Hi Lynda,
Happy Thanksgiving:) Welcome to DC..I'm so glad you've found the site. I'm sure you will enjoy all the recipes for just about any thing you'd like. You will come to also enjoy all the wonderful people you will meet...Just find a topic of choice and post a note..Someone will come along and offer you help,recipes, and a big smile:)
kadesma

Hi Lynda,

Welcome and Happy Thanksgiving! I have fogotten all about my crock pot. I believe I've had it for a few years now but I've only used in once! Being a crockpot novice, I keep thinking that stews are the only thing that crockpots can cook well. Do you have any favorite crock pot recipes? I hope to get inspired to use the crockpot more frequently.

Janice

Hi janice,sorry i havent been on too much lately,as i've been training in a new job,the early hours leave me pretty tired in the evening.I also have a few bookmarked websites i go to
I just asked my other half what was his favorites in the crock pot
These are his absolute favorites:
Acorn Squash
Crock pot tuna casserole
Crock pot ham and coke
Roast beef

My other half eats the squash he scrapes it right down to the skin......just loves it!!
In fact this is the only way i will cook squash now forget about the oven...
Acorn Squash
3 acorn squash, cut in half and seeded
2 teaspoons salt (i usually just put in a dash instead)
1/2 teaspoon pepper (same as above)
1/2 cup water
Fill cavity with brown sugar instead
6 spoonfuls of butter,one for each half
1 teaspoon of Nutmeg or cinnamon (this is nice
Season squash with salt and pepper.
Sprinkle with other ingredients.
Pour water into cooker.
Add squash, alternating so they do not rest directly on top of each other.
Wrap the individual halves tightly with aluminum foil.
Cook on high 1 hour. Reduce to low and cook for 5 to 6 additional hours. Serves 6.
*1 hour on high is the equivalent to 2 on low,watch when you open the foil up it will be extremely hot and steamy

I came across this one while looking for some frugal recipes online a while back.
Crock pot tuna casserole
1 can of tuna fish, packed in water, drained
1 can cream of mushroom soup
16 oz. pasta of your choice, we like medium shells or twists
2 c. water, more or less as needed
Salt and pepper to taste
I also have added about a cup of mixed vegtables
Directions:Place ingredients in crock pot and cook on slow until noodles are soft, about 4 hours.
You can also add chopped onions and substitute the Healthy Request soup for a low fat healthier version.
Just watch you put enough water in this one,as the pasta seems to dry the casserole up somewhat
especially if left cooking for too long.

I obtained a really nice ham for thanksgiving lately and did it in the crock pot,this was really delicious,
i know it really sounds gross.
Ham and coke
1 can Coke
1 cup brown sugar ( I only used about 2 tbsp)
Put ham in crockpot, mix Coke and brown sugar, and pour over top.The mixture seems to make a glaze
Crock on low 8-10 hours.

Last weekend i got a really nice outside round roast on sale which was about 4lbs
Roast beef
3-5 pounds of beef (chuck roast)
1 cup water
1/4 cup soy sauce
1 cup celery, chopped
1 cup onion, chopped
Potatoes sliced or halfed
I usually season very lightly or with small amount of pepper
The key is to put all the vegetables at the bottom,then the meat on top

And one chicken recipe i had bookmarked but haven't tried yet
Lemon Herb Roasted Chicken (Crockpot)
This is an easy chicken recipe. It doesn't come out quite like oven roasted chicken but it's delicious.

3-4 lb chicken
1/2 cup chopped onion
2 Tbs butter
juice of one lemon
1/2 tsp salt
1 Tbs fresh parsley (or 1 tsp dried)
1/4 tsp thyme
1/4 tsp paprika

Rinse chicken, pat dry, and remove any excess fat. Put the onion inside the chicken and rub the skin with butter. Put the chicken in the crockpot.
Squeeze the lemon over the chicken and sprinkle with the salt, parsley, thyme, and paprika.
Cover and cook on low 8-10 hours.

I hope you enjoy some of these,have fun!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom