Hi, new to posting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

classiccook

Assistant Cook
Thought I'd say hi, I've read some of the threads but this is the first time I'm posting. I've decided to sign up because I have a specific question (that I'll post elsewhere) but also just wanted to say hi. It seems like there are a number of professionals here, but I'm not one of them. I live in Northern Virginia (I usually say DC because I'm a couple miles from there so it makes more sense to people), and am a full time student. I am a vegetarian, and cook as much local food as possible.

Welcome Classic.

There are a few of us at least from your area - breezy will probably be along (Culpepper) before long.

We are not vegetarians but often make meals without meat, not for any specific reason.

Jump on in. I learn so much from other's questions and the responses. Sometimes it leads me into thinking about cooking possibilities that had very little to do with the posted question or recipe.

Again, welcome aboard.

Welcome, Classic. I am new to the forum as well, and hope to see you around. Cooking local sounds like fun. I try in the summer, but I wouldn't be eating much in the winter if I couldn't buy from US and other sources.

Hi, Classic. Welcome to DC. Sounds redundant, doesn't it, given where you live. I'm familiar with your area. Buck and I lived in the DC suburban area for 30 years before moving to Kentucky.

We're not vegetarians but, for variety's sake, I plan one meatless meal for every four with a meat/poultry/fish one. It's fun and we enjoy the different non-meat protein dishes we can add to our mealtime repertoire.

Stick around and become part of our big DC family. We're glad you've found us.

Thanks! What a surprise to get so many welcoming comments!

By the way, I noted before that there seemed to be a lot of professional cooks here but that was until I saw "assistant cook" under my name and realized it was the title for people who haven't posted much. Duh! :wacko:

Heh, I felt the same way CC. I am enjoying reading all of the threads, but wonder if I will ever get beyone asst cook status.

By the way, I noted before that there seemed to be a lot of professional cooks here but that was until I saw "assistant cook" under my name and realized it was the title for people who haven't posted much. Duh! :wacko:

:LOL: - We do actually have some professionals here. When you wade through the posts I'm sure you'll find them! Welcome to Discuss Cooking and I look forward to some of your favorite recipes!

Heh, I felt the same way CC. I am enjoying reading all of the threads, but wonder if I will ever get beyone asst cook status.
Hey Cordel, I only joined DC at the end of Oct and I am not too far from 500 posts already!!! Okay I am a blabber mouth, I know!!;) But to get the most out of any forum, you need to contribute, even if it is only to have someone tell you that you are on the wrong track. At least that gets the discussions happening. Without activity, forums fall over. We don't want that for DC!! It doesn't take long to go up the ranks like that!

There are quite a few topics where my knowledge has been severely limited but then by further reading, I can see a point that I may be able to contribute to within the same thread, even if it is just querying something that is different to in Australia. I haven't started many threads but I try to keep an eye on the threads and post when I can. I also hate to see someone post a new thread and then not have anybody respond to it, so if I can make that person feel like they have been acknowledged, I will, even if I can't actually help them.

There are also so many game threads that you don't need to know anything about that you can join. Have some fun and create some too!!:)

Thanks, Bilby. Your post in my introduction thread kept me coming back, so I have been trying to follow that example. As time goes on we newbies will get to know others, and be more willing to start or contribute to threads.

Cordel, don't think of yourself as a newbie!! Think of yourself as a member and don't hold back (within reason of course!). Some people with very few posts have been around for ages, they just don't post. If you do something that isn't quite right, someone will politely tell you. For all we know, you could be the most experienced chef on the site. It is only what you type that will tell us otherwise. Anonyminity gives confidence or bravado if you let it.

Glad I inspired you. Now, I just need to find your first thread and remember what I said!! LOL

Cordel, don't think of yourself as a newbie!! Think of yourself as a member and don't hold back (within reason of course!). Some people with very few posts have been around for ages, they just don't post. If you do something that isn't quite right, someone will politely tell you. For all we know, you could be the most experienced chef on the site. It is only what you type that will tell us otherwise. Anonyminity gives confidence or bravado if you let it.

Glad I inspired you. Now, I just need to find your first thread and remember what I said!! LOL

I totally agree. There's alot of forums where I take in info instead of posting alot. Good attitude to have.

Hey Cordel, I only joined DC at the end of Oct and I am not too far from 500 posts already!!! Okay I am a blabber mouth, I know!!;) But to get the most out of any forum, you need to contribute, even if it is only to have someone tell you that you are on the wrong track. At least that gets the discussions happening. Without activity, forums fall over. We don't want that for DC!! It doesn't take long to go up the ranks like that!

There are quite a few topics where my knowledge has been severely limited but then by further reading, I can see a point that I may be able to contribute to within the same thread, even if it is just querying something that is different to in Australia. I haven't started many threads but I try to keep an eye on the threads and post when I can. I also hate to see someone post a new thread and then not have anybody respond to it, so if I can make that person feel like they have been acknowledged, I will, even if I can't actually help them.

There are also so many game threads that you don't need to know anything about that you can join. Have some fun and create some too!!:)

Hi!
I'm new also.... only 2 weeks old! Be careful it's hard to tear yourself away from the 'puter here!

Oh, and Bilby here will have you at executive chef in no time!!! ;)

Hmm, I am spending too much time cooking, I guess. I am not posting at nearly your rate. Bilby's posts are chatty and easy to respond to.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom