"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > New Member Introductions!

Old 02-05-2007, 03:25 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Hi, (or aloha) from Hawaii!

I'm an all-around IT guy with a good sense of humor and a love for good conversation. I'm originally from DC. When I was 3, I moved to central Texas with my family, finished HS in 2000, then moved to Dallas for university. After graduating from university in 2004, I decided I'd make a big change in my life, and moved to Hawaii.

Well, that worked out well in one way (I started a business here, an underground data center.) That said, I don't like living here. It's far too expensive and I don't really fit well with the "laid back" lifestyle, so I'm planning to move back to Dallas or Austin (or some other larger city with low cost of living!) I'll keep the business, luckily, can run it remotely. :) I do work, as well, to keep my days occupied. Right now I'm working for the State of Hawaii, maintaining/modifying/etc their financial management information system. Don't gag - COBOL! It's funny, the system is nearly a full decade older than I am.

I recently (the past year or so) started to cook. I made a huge lifestyle change. I was a smoker, drank regularily (much more than I should), did not eat vegetables (almost a strict carnivour, except for the staples such as potatoes), etc. Well, I quit smoking, I only drink socially, and even then much small amounts, and I'm eating salad every day! I feel a lot better, both physically and mentally. Cooking is one of the ways I've started to spend my "free time" that used to be taken up by my vices. It relaxes me, and as a bonus - it's much healthier than the alternatives here.

Why is it, that in America, if you want a relatively inexpensive meal, your only choice is fast food (death) or cooking? There's no inbetween, restaurants will charge you an arm and a leg, fast food is a few pennies. I miss the cafes in Europe. Oh well, now i cook!

I love traveling, I've been pretty much everywhere in Europe, from Germany to Italy to Russia to Romania and so forth. I normally spend a few weeks to a month, and since I travel alone I always have a blast going out and meeting new people. I've got friends all over now! ;) This is my other hobby, other than cooking. It's slowed down a bit though, since I work and generally a month off at a time is frowned upon. :p

I came here to learn the "secrets" of culinary art. I've been cooking primarily Italian food (my fav.) but I am trying to expand my abilities to other ethnic foods. I've got a bunch of great books, but sometimes I have questions that only another human/cook can answer. Google doesn't always cut it! See my post in the beef forums, for an example. ;)

Well, before you all pass out/fall asleep/pass away, I better end this post! I look forward to interacting with you all, this seems like a really wonderful community, and I know I will learn volumes of new things. I'm quite excited, you see!

Cheers,
David

Old 02-05-2007, 03:36 AM   #2
Executive Chef

Hi David, welcome to DC! Nice to know that you are now living a more healthy life. I am sure you will benefit greatly from this forum. So start getting actively involved!

Old 02-05-2007, 05:49 AM   #3
Executive Chef

Aloha! Welcome to DC and good luck with moving back to the mainland!!
Old 02-05-2007, 08:12 AM   #4
Head Chef

Hi David - this is a great board, good recipes, cooking advice and great people - welcome!

I will soon be a Texan myself as my husband's company is relocating us to Austin in the next couple of months.
Good luck with your move back to the mainland - and welcome to DC!
Old 02-05-2007, 09:20 AM   #5
Master Chef

Welcome David, so glad you are going to be with us. I know you will have a good time.
Old 02-05-2007, 01:30 PM   #6
Assistant Cook

Thank you all for the very warm welcome, one day later and I've already learned a few things. :)

My best wishes to all,
David
Old 02-05-2007, 01:38 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Send a message via Skype™ to MJ
Hi David. Welcome to DC!
Old 02-05-2007, 01:58 PM   #8
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ
Hi David. Welcome to DC!
Wow, an admin welcome... now I'm honored!

Hope your day is marvelous,
David
Old 02-05-2007, 02:24 PM   #9
Hospitality Queen

Welcome Welcome Welcome!
We're so glad you're here!

*however, now that I know you're a computer guy, I may ask you a few questions now and then...
Old 02-05-2007, 03:29 PM   #10
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkath
Welcome Welcome Welcome!
We're so glad you're here!

*however, now that I know you're a computer guy, I may ask you a few questions now and then...
Absolutely feel free to ask anything you'd like! It's always my pleasure to help out others, just as others help out me. I'm feeling extra benevolent today, I'll even charge you 1/2 my consulting rate! Hehe, just kidding! Feel free to PM or if there is an off-topic discussion area or even a computer section, feel free to make a post there. I'll check on this forum for such places later and make sure I check them daily.

The welcome-feeling computer nerd,
David