High Hopes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dc2123

Cook
Hey guys and girls, I'm new to the forum and I'll be frequenting this site very often. I'm 23 years old and currently looking for my first job in a kitchen. I'm sure there will be a lot of people telling me not to do it, but I want to hear opinions from everyone.

My main thing right now is finding a culinary book that isn't entirely focused on recipes or definitions. I need a book that teaches me about food safety, knife technique, food technique. I need a book that I can actually read and take in knowledge in a concise way. If you guys can help me with that it be a great start.

Can't help you with the book part but if you have the desire to work in a professional kitchen then go for it! Just because it didn't work for one person doesn't mean it isn't right for you. Good luck!

And welcome to DC!

Oh by the way-
39817-albums933-picture5567.jpg

One of my sons is a professional chef. In his journey from working in local restaurants to what he's doing now, he had the opportunity to learn from people with formal training. I learned the pinch grip from him, and learned other knife skills simply by practicing. I have a B.S. in Electrical Engineering Technology, and so know the value of formal schooling. But that being said, often, your best teacher is someone who is trained and can show you first hand how to hold the knife, what kind of knives are used for what purpose, and careful practice. The same is true for every tool used in the kitchen. For instance, do you season a mineral pan, or a carbon steel wok, the same way you would season cast iron? Do you need to season aluminum cookwear.

Other things, like cooking techniques, can be learned by asking questions, right here on DC. There are a bunch of knowledgeable cooks on DC who can help you with everything from making cookies, to a Chateaubriand, to apple tarts, to derivative sauces.

You will love it here. There are knife sharpening experts, and pastry experts, and soup experts, and stir fry experts, and...

We look forward to your questions, and to your ideas. Welcome to DC.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Back
Top Bottom