How to cook tender, juicy beef roast?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SomaW

Assistant Cook
hi, it's me, Soma....been a member here for years, but had to change my email address, so tried a number of ways....no success, had to re-register. My new moniker is SomaW instead of just Soma.

I had a deeeeelishus pot roast at IKEA t'other day, so went to my local shop, bought a sirloin tip which looked good....now: how to cook it to the tenderness, juiciness that IKEA produced? (maybe they used a different cut too).

Looking for tips on the juiciest, tenderist, beef roast (pot or otherwise).

Thanks!

Sirloin tip could be an oven roast rather than a pot roast. I'd roast it to your preferred degree of doneness and serve it with the sides of your choice. Use the pan drippings to make a gravy.

Thanks Andy. I just pulled it out of 325 degree oven, covered, after an hour, and it's tough as chewing gum.
Any way I can save it?

325 for an hour? What weight is it? Sounds like it might not have been in there long enough. I normally cook a roasting joint for 20 mins per pound plus 20 mins. I chop some onions, carrot & celery, drizzle them with olive oil & sit the roast on top. Add some olive oil, S&P, dry mustard powder or herbs (depending on mood!) to the meat & rub it in.

For a pot roast I 'll use the slower oven, but still give it the 20 mins per pound or so, but not the additional 20 mins. And plenty of veg in the pan.

Last edited:
Thanks .....I put it back in for another hour at 300 degrees, and we ate some for lunch.....was ok, but will cook more. Roast is 3 pounds.

When I cook sirloin tip as a roast, I always put some water in the pan - an inch or two. The roast sits in the liquid and gets flipped over at some point.

If the roast has had all the fat trimmed off it - as they seem to love to do in our Canadian supermarkets - then I will often ask for some loose beef fat which I'll add to the roast before it goes in the oven.

Room temperature roast @ 500F for 5 minutes. Reduce temp to 200F and cook 1 hour per pound. Perfect every time. Been cooking roasts with this method since I learned about it 10+ years ago.

Room temperature roast @ 500F for 5 minutes. Reduce temp to 200F and cook 1 hour per pound. Perfect every time. Been cooking roasts with this method since I learned about it 10+ years ago.
Is that for sirloin tip and other boneless roasts as well?

If the roast has had all the fat trimmed off it - as they seem to love to do in our Canadian supermarkets - then I will often ask for some loose beef fat which I'll add to the roast before it goes in the oven.

That's unusual to cut off all the fat. Fat weighs, and they would make more money selling the roast.

Craig, do you get the same tenderness as you would in a crockpot? Do you cover it or leave it open? Any seasoning or soup or anything added?

Hal

That's unusual to cut off all the fat. Fat weighs, and they would make more money selling the roast.
More often than not the fat is gone. That's often the same for a decent pork roast, so no crackling. I'm not sure why they do it, but I'd guess it's something to do with a customer base that isn't that well educated when it comes to meat fat / roasts etc. In England I think you'll still see joints sold with a decent amount of fat still on, because we still have the Sunday Roast tradition (not what it was, but it's still alive).

Well I just put it back into the oven, at 325. On my 'convection setting' this reads 300, and cooked it for 2 more hours. It got a bit black, but fork-tender and deeelishous!

Thanks everyone, for all your advice. In future, I will do as CraigC suggests!

Craig. I was going to provide your method, but thought it being a pot roast, it would not apply.

Craig, do you get the same tenderness as you would in a crockpot? Do you cover it or leave it open? Any seasoning or soup or anything added?

Hal

There is no comparison between a roast braised for hours vs a tender cut roasted rare or medium rare.
This thread is a bit ambiguous, as a sirloin tip roast is not a tender cut and is most likely relegated to a pot with some liquid.

Well I just put it back into the oven, at 325. On my 'convection setting' this reads 300, and cooked it for 2 more hours. It got a bit black, but fork-tender and deeelishous!

Thanks everyone, for all your advice. In future, I will do as CraigC suggests!

Is Mo and Larry there too? :ROFLMAO:

Hal

I have never cooked anything in a crockpot, but have made pot roast. I think the tenderness is different than a fall apart pot roast as the meat stays intact. It is really a low and slow method that yields a tender, rare roast. Generally S&P are the only seasonings, but I have been known to use a packet of Lipton onion soup mix as a rub. It is roasted uncovered, in a rack. The rack can be an actual roasting rack or rolled up aluminum foil.

I have never cooked anything in a crockpot, but have made pot roast. I think the tenderness is different than a fall apart pot roast as the meat stays intact. It is really a low and slow method that yields a tender, rare roast. Generally S&P are the only seasonings, but I have been known to use a packet of Lipton onion soup mix as a rub. It is roasted uncovered, in a rack. The rack can be an actual roasting rack or rolled up aluminum foil.

There is where my problem lies. DH will not eat any meat that is the least bit pink, so I usually only cook pot roast. If I cooked an eye of round to his satisfaction it would be hard and tough I think.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom