"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > New Member Introductions!

Old 03-05-2014, 07:02 PM   #11
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Is that for sirloin tip and other boneless roasts as well?
I have used this with eye of round, prime rib, top sirloin, etc and haven't been disappointed.

Old 03-05-2014, 08:05 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
I have used this with eye of round, prime rib, top sirloin, etc and haven't been disappointed.
Thank you. I'll try it next time I buy one of those huge chunks of sirloin tip at Costco.

Old 03-06-2014, 08:57 AM   #13
Executive Chef

Quote:

I have posted your instructions in my recipe file. I have never been successful with eye of round, and I'm anxious to try this.
Old 03-06-2014, 09:05 AM   #14
Senior Cook

Craig, do you get the same tenderness as you would in a crockpot? Do you cover it or leave it open? Any seasoning or soup or anything added?

Hal
Old 03-06-2014, 12:15 PM   #15
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
That's unusual to cut off all the fat. Fat weighs, and they would make more money selling the roast.
More often than not the fat is gone. That's often the same for a decent pork roast, so no crackling. I'm not sure why they do it, but I'd guess it's something to do with a customer base that isn't that well educated when it comes to meat fat / roasts etc. In England I think you'll still see joints sold with a decent amount of fat still on, because we still have the Sunday Roast tradition (not what it was, but it's still alive).
Old 03-06-2014, 12:24 PM   #16
Assistant Cook

Well I just put it back into the oven, at 325. On my 'convection setting' this reads 300, and cooked it for 2 more hours. It got a bit black, but fork-tender and deeelishous!

Thanks everyone, for all your advice. In future, I will do as CraigC suggests!
Old 03-06-2014, 12:40 PM   #17
Executive Chef

Quote:
Room temperature roast @ 500F for 5 minutes. Reduce temp to 200F and cook 1 hour per pound. Perfect every time. Been cooking roasts with this method since I learned about it 10+ years ago.
Craig. I was going to provide your method, but thought it being a pot roast, it would not apply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Home Cook View Post
Craig, do you get the same tenderness as you would in a crockpot? Do you cover it or leave it open? Any seasoning or soup or anything added?

Hal
There is no comparison between a roast braised for hours vs a tender cut roasted rare or medium rare.
This thread is a bit ambiguous, as a sirloin tip roast is not a tender cut and is most likely relegated to a pot with some liquid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomaW View Post
Well I just put it back into the oven, at 325. On my 'convection setting' this reads 300, and cooked it for 2 more hours. It got a bit black, but fork-tender and deeelishous!

Thanks everyone, for all your advice. In future, I will do as CraigC suggests!
Is Mo and Larry there too?
Old 03-06-2014, 02:13 PM   #18
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Home Cook View Post

Hal
I have never cooked anything in a crockpot, but have made pot roast. I think the tenderness is different than a fall apart pot roast as the meat stays intact. It is really a low and slow method that yields a tender, rare roast. Generally S&P are the only seasonings, but I have been known to use a packet of Lipton onion soup mix as a rub. It is roasted uncovered, in a rack. The rack can be an actual roasting rack or rolled up aluminum foil.
Old 03-07-2014, 08:09 AM   #19
Executive Chef

Quote:
I have never cooked anything in a crockpot, but have made pot roast. I think the tenderness is different than a fall apart pot roast as the meat stays intact. It is really a low and slow method that yields a tender, rare roast. Generally S&P are the only seasonings, but I have been known to use a packet of Lipton onion soup mix as a rub. It is roasted uncovered, in a rack. The rack can be an actual roasting rack or rolled up aluminum foil.

There is where my problem lies. DH will not eat any meat that is the least bit pink, so I usually only cook pot roast. If I cooked an eye of round to his satisfaction it would be hard and tough I think.

Tags
beef, cook, how to, roast