How to make pumpkin pie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

prn_s

Assistant Cook
Hi, all. Now, I'm interested making pies. So, have anyone have some ideas to make pumpkin pie?? let's share your own amazing recipe. Thanks :chef:

This is a great place to start!

https://www.verybestbaking.com/recipes/18470/libbys-famous-pumpkin-pie/

18470lrg.jpg

You can use fresh cooked pumpkin, carrots or winter squash in place of the canned pumpkin and fresh milk in place of the canned milk with good results.

Good luck!!!

I always use a ginger snap crushed cookie for the crust. It enhances the seasonings of the pie filling itself. But the standard recipe on the back of the Libby Pumpkin can is a never fail.

Libby's canned pumpkin (plain canned pumpkin, not pumpkin pie filling) works for me, with pumpkin pie spice. I too am a fan of crushed ginger cookie crust. Lots of whipped cream on the finished product.

Last edited:
I use this recipe too but I cut back on the clove as I don't like that taste so much.

It's perfectly OK to use canned pumpkin (not canned pumpkin pie filling).

I purchased two small sweet pumpkins during pumpkin season. Cooked them down and have enough pureed pumpkin for one large pie and a small 7" one for Pirate alone. Like you Andy, I too put less than 1/8 tsp of clove in my recipe. It is too overpowering. So both of my pies this year will be made with fresh pumpkin instead of the canned. But I do have a can of pumpkin for later in the year.

Next year I am going to buy more than two pumpkins. A big difference between fresh and canned.

This is a great place to start!

https://www.verybestbaking.com/recipes/18470/libbys-famous-pumpkin-pie/

18470lrg.jpg

You can use fresh cooked pumpkin, carrots or winter squash in place of the canned pumpkin and fresh milk in place of the canned milk with good results.

Good luck!!!

Yes! This is the gold standard recipe. I've tried others over the years and this one is the one that the pumpkin pie lovers always enjoy.

For consistent results I definitely prefer canned pumpkin.

I also use the Libby's recipe. We like extra spice in ours so I use the spices from the recipe but then add about 2 tsp of pumpkin pie spice too. I also sprinkle cinnamon on top after baking.

I use the Libby's recipe, too, although I made it with honey from our hives instead of sugar once last summer. It was *really* good and since we have a few gallons of honey right now, I'll be doing that again.

Standard pumpkin pie recipe:

The Ultimate Pumpkin Pie​

Ingredients:

Pie Shell

1¼ cups all-purpose flour
½ tsp salt
⅓ cup shortening
4 to 5 Tbs ice water

Filling

2 medium sugar pumpkins
1 Tbs vegetable oil
1 9-inch pastry for single crust pie
½ tsp ground cinnamon
¼ tsp ground ginger
⅛ tsp ground allspice
⅛ tsp ground nutmeg
⅛ tsp ground cloves
1 Tbs dark rum
1 tsp salt
4 eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup honey, warmed slightly
½ cup milk
½ cup heavy whipping cream
Whipped cream for garnish
Cinnamon for garnish
chopped pecans for garnish

Instructions:

Preheat the oven to 350°F.

Cut the pumpkin in half and scrape out the seeds and stringy pulp with a large serving spoon or ice cream scoop. Discard the pulp, but save the seeds. Lightly oil the cut surface of the pumpkin and place it cut side down on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake at 350°F for 45-50 minutes, until the flesh is tender when poked with a fork.

In a large bowl, combine flour and salt and use a pastry cutter to cut in the shortening until the dough is crumbly. Gradually add water, tossing the pastry dough with a fork until a ball forms. Shape the dough into a flat disk, wrap it in plastic wrap, and refrigerate it for at least 30 minutes.

Cool the pumpkin for 10 minutes and then peel away the skin. Puree the pumpkin flesh in a blender or food processor in small batches. Put 2 cups of the pumpkin puree in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle. Add the ginger, cinnamon and salt. Beat in the eggs, rum, honey, milk and cream.
Increase the oven temperature to 425°F.

Roll out the pastry dough into a 12-inch circle. Transfer the pastry dough to a pie pan, press it firmly into the bottom and sides of the pie pan, trim it to ½-inch beyond edge of the pan, and flute the edges. Line the shell with aluminum foil or parchment paper, fill the pan with pie weights and bake the crust in a 425°F oven for 10 minutes. Remove the foil or parchment paper and pie weights and bake for an additional 5 minutes, until the crust is just slightly browned.

Pour the filling into pie shell. Bake the pie in a 425°F oven for 15 minutes, reduce the temperature to 350°F and bake the pie for an additional 40 to 50 minutes, until a knife inserted 1 inch from edge of the pie comes out clean. Cool the pie on a wire rack for two hours and store it in the refrigerator until ready to serve. Cut the pie into serving pieces, add a large dollop of whipped cream to each slice, and add a light dusting of cinnamon and a pinch of chopped pecans over the whipped cream.

Or, if you want to try something different:

French Pumpkin Pie​

Ingredients:

6 Tbs Butter
3 lb sugar pumpkin, seeded, peeled, and diced
2 granny smith apples, peeled, cored, and diced
¾ cup brown sugar
½ tsp Amoretti Madagascar-Bourbon vanilla extract with specks (20 Fold)
¼ cup pecans, toasted and chopped
2 sheets puff pastry, 7½" × 14½"
1 egg, lightly beaten

Instructions:

Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the pumpkin and apples, and cook, stirring occasionally, for 8 to 10 minutes. Reduce heat to low, add the sugar and vanilla extract, and scrape the browned bits from the bottom of skillet with a wooden spoon. Cover the skillet, and cook until pumpkin and apples are very soft and jammy, but still holding their shape, about 30 minutes. Set the pumpkin mixture aside to cool. When cool, stir in the pecans.

Preheat the oven to 350°F.

Roll out 1 sheet of puff pastry into a square on a lightly floured surface. Using an 11" tart ring as a guide, cut out a circle and set aside. Roll out the remaining sheet of pastry into a square; then ease the pastry into the tart ring and set it on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Trim the edges to overhang by ¼-inch.

Fill the pastry with pumpkin mixture, and lay the second pastry circle over the filling. Carefully tuck the edge of the top pastry between the filling and the bottom pastry and brush the surface with the egg. Fold the overhanging edge of the bottom pastry back over the top pastry. Bake until golden brown, 35 to 40 minutes. Allow to cool before serving.

How To Make Pumpkin Puree

Reference:

1 small/medium sugar or baking pumpkin about 11/2- 2 lbs each
•1 fresh 5-pound pumpkin = about 4-1/2 cups cooked, mashed pumpkin
•1 pound fresh pumpkin = about 1 cup cooked, mashed pumpkin
•1 15-ounce can pumpkin = 1-3/4 cups mashed pumpkin
•1 29-ounce can pumpkin = 3-1/2 cups mashed pumpkin
--

Use sugar pumpkins – they are on the small side. Cut them in half. If you are using a larger pumpkin you will want to at least cut it into quarters depending on the size. Remove the seeds.

Lay the pumpkin pieces flesh side down in a shallow baking pan. Add just enough water to cover the bottom of the pan.

Bake at 375 degrees till tender. About 1/2 hour to 45 minutes. When a fork penetrates though the skin into the pumpkin flesh easily it is done.

Scoop the pumpkin flesh out with a large spoon while the pumpkin is still warm.

Process the pumpkin flesh though a blender to create the puree.
Can or freeze -your choice.

If you like pumpkin puree a little thicker, set it in a sieve over a bowl and allow to drain off the excess liquid in the fridge for a few hours.

I have always used the Libby can recipe also, wondering since I never remember to buy a can of evaporated milk and have to go get it, has anyone used regular milk in its place. If so a difference?

I have always used the Libby can recipe also, wondering since I never remember to buy a can of evaporated milk and have to go get it, has anyone used regular milk in its place. If so a difference?

Pumpkin pie filling is very forgiving.

I've used 2% and skim milk because I rarely have a can of milk on the shelf. I reduce the amount of fresh milk to 1 cup instead of the 12 ounces of evaporated milk that the recipe calls for.

I've also reduced the sugar by 1/3 to 1/2 with good results.

I make sure to pile extra whipped cream on my slice to offset the changes. :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

I also use the Libby's recipe. We like extra spice in ours so I use the spices from the recipe but then add about 2 tsp of pumpkin pie spice too. I also sprinkle cinnamon on top after baking.

We are the opposite. DH gets heartburn if I use the amount of spices called for in the Libby's recipe, so I use half. DH will not eat any pumpkin pie but mine for that reason. No one else in my family ever complained that there was not enough spice.

Also, I use half white sugar and half brown sugar because that is what my mother always did.

If I make a pumpkin pie, it's fresh pumpkin only and I use the Betty Crocker or Southern Living recipe.

Last edited:
I always use Libby's recipe with a couple of exceptions. I grate the ginger and i use fresh grated nutmeg instead of cloves. Also... I mix the spices in with the pumpkin BEFORE adding eggs.

Back
Top Bottom