"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > New Member Introductions!

Old 01-28-2011, 08:18 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Howdy Folks!

Name's Craig. I live in south Florida. Been cooking for awhile. Big chili head, seafood freak and love trying new cuisines and ingredients. The wife and I have been doing our own herb and vegi garden for a couple years now and enjoy the produce and savings on our food bill. 100% carnivore, but can easily deal with vegis, even tofu which I sometimes refer to as toad food.

Big on spearfishing and harvesting from our local waters. 100% support sustainable resources of seafood. Hate invasive species, both land and sea. We really have a massive amount of these.

Look forward to learning and contributing what knowledge I have.

Craig

Old 01-28-2011, 09:06 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

welcome! much to learn here.

Old 01-29-2011, 12:16 AM   #3
Head Chef

Hi CraigC
Welcome to DC

Josie
Old 01-29-2011, 12:21 AM   #4
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Hello Craig! You are in the right place for food lovers.
Old 01-29-2011, 12:34 AM   #5
Cupcake

Welcome to DC. Feel free to share anything you know about the mini-lobster season. I keep threatening to take my vacation during that time!
Old 01-29-2011, 11:44 AM   #6
Cook

welcome to DC!! I'm sure you will love it here :] its a great community!
Old 01-29-2011, 12:19 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathleenA View Post
Welcome to DC. Feel free to share anything you know about the mini-lobster season. I keep threatening to take my vacation during that time!
DON'T! You will regret it! I can't use my normal reference to that time as this is a "G" rated site. It's a contest to see the number of divers/freedivers killed vs the number of lobster taken. Two died this past season if I recall correctly. If you go to the Keys, during the mini season (last Wednesday and Thursday of July), be prepared for the road block leaving Key Largo as the FWC checks peoples catch. The limit in the Keys is 6 per person/per day (must have saltwater fishing license and lobster stamp to count). The rest of the state the limit is 12 perperson/per day. Regular season starts August 6th and runs through March 31st of the following year. Bag limit is 6 per person/per day. Used to allow that (6 per) or 24 per boat. Those days are long gone. I dive mainly off of Ft. Lauderdale (actually captained a dive boat in the late '80's and early '90's). This was during the years I taught scuba. Once you leave Port Everglades during mini season, I swear you can walk to Bimini across the boats that are jam packed out there. I could tell stories for hours about the stupid stuff I have personally seen people do during mini. It's like everyone has gold fever.

Thanks everyone for the welcome.

Craig
Old 01-29-2011, 05:39 PM   #8
Cupcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
DON'T! You will regret it! I can't use my normal reference to that time as this is a "G" rated site. It's a contest to see the number of divers/freedivers killed vs the number of lobster taken. Two died this past season if I recall correctly. If you go to the Keys, during the mini season (last Wednesday and Thursday of July), be prepared for the road block leaving Key Largo as the FWC checks peoples catch. The limit in the Keys is 6 per person/per day (must have saltwater fishing license and lobster stamp to count). The rest of the state the limit is 12 perperson/per day. Regular season starts August 6th and runs through March 31st of the following year. Bag limit is 6 per person/per day. Used to allow that (6 per) or 24 per boat. Those days are long gone. I dive mainly off of Ft. Lauderdale (actually captained a dive boat in the late '80's and early '90's). This was during the years I taught scuba. Once you leave Port Everglades during mini season, I swear you can walk to Bimini across the boats that are jam packed out there. I could tell stories for hours about the stupid stuff I have personally seen people do during mini. It's like everyone has gold fever.

Thanks everyone for the welcome.

Craig
Soooooo....wait for the regular season? I've never gone lobster diving! I'm dying to give it a try!
Old 01-29-2011, 05:44 PM   #9
Master Chef

Site Moderator

Welcome to DC!!!
Old 01-29-2011, 05:49 PM   #10
Executive Chef

Hey Craig! I'll try not to be too serious