Howdy from a novice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DaveM

Assistant Cook
Hey Everyone... how is it going.

I just joined the forum and hoping to glean so great knowledge. I'm arguably a complete novice at cooking, so please bear with me.

If you don't mind I do have a question. I'm looking to learn how to preserve food (extend the shelf life) of some baked goods. Say maybe by a few months, max one year...preferably with natural options....I've heard this is possible, but no clue how.... :huh:

Does anyone have any thoughts on the best way to accomplish this? If so, is it possible to buy the ingredients at a local store?

Love to hear your thoughts...

Thanks a bunch,
Dave

Welcome Dave.
The only method I know of to store baked goods for long periods is freezing.
Not sure you can expect great quality after one year, but for sure you can freeze things for a very long time with excellent results.
I freeze bread all the time and when I take it out and thaw it, its as good as the day I bought it.

Welcome to DC! I freeze my bread too. Otherwise we don't go through a whole loaf before it gets stale.

Hi Dave. Welcome to DC.

Many baked goods can be frozen successfully. Are you looking for additive ingredients to give baked goods a longer shelf life (like Twinkies that last for ever?)

Hi Everyone,

My apologies on the long delay in responding. Life, go figure :) And thank you all so very much for the warm welcome and responses. Definitely 'precaite it!

Anyhow, in truth I was looking for something a little beyond the path of freezing. Perhaps one, or two levels further. More to the suggestion of Andy M. (See above thread).

He mentioned additives, which is exactly what I was driving towards. I've been researching mixed tocopherols and looking to learn more about them. I gather mixed tocopherols are a plausible solution; yet looking to learn the "specifics".Things like how to use (add) them when cooking, how long it extends the shelf life, proper usage, etc.

Any thoughts on this? If further clarification is needed, I'll gladly offer it. :)

Thanks again!
-Dave

On Additives

Hi Dave. Welcome to DC.

Many baked goods can be frozen successfully. Are you looking for additive ingredients to give baked goods a longer shelf life (like Twinkies that last for ever?)

@AndyM... yes! additive ingredients are what I am looking to learn about. From what I gather mixed tocopherols are a decent option. Love to hear your thoughts. :chef:

Thanks,
Dave

Sorry, Dave. I have no experience with chemical additives for food preservation. I'm limited to wrapping or freezing.

Welcome to DC, Dave! :flowers:

I don't have any helpful advice for you, as I just freeze my bread too. I can't go through a whole loaf myself without it going stale.

Welcome to DC. I think you will find most folks here are into canning or freezing in order to extend shelf life. Other than canning, which I no longer do, for me, I may freeze an individual layer of cake. And then thaw out all the layers later to put the cake together for frosting. And like others, I too freeze my bread.

As I got older and now live alone, I have made a concerted effort to get away from the chemicals used to extend shelf life. I prefer to eat foods as fresh as I can get. And what I do not use, they go into the freezer. The best method for preserving food for me. :angel:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom