"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > New Member Introductions!

Old 11-08-2013, 01:30 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

I would hardly call a cheap metal peeler that cost $1.00 going first class. I don't have to have the latest and greatest, but I do want equipment in my kitchen that works better than what my mother had. My KA mixer certainly beats a wooden spoon when it comes to going first class.

Old 11-08-2013, 02:05 PM   #12
Executive Chef

I also have a KA mixer and many things my mother did not have.
I could start a list if you like?
I found the inexpensive old timey metal type peeler to work the best for me.

When I say go first class, I don't mean I have to have the most expensive. I want to have the best.
So if you think my cheap peeler is second class, thats just fine with me.

Old 11-08-2013, 02:16 PM   #13
Certified Pretend Chef

Quality tools and the right tools for the job make any job easier. That said, I don't want or need the very best. I need tools that perform well. Not $1000 Japanese knives, but ones that stay sharp and feel good in my hand. For me, multi-ply stainless pans are the best so that's what I buy. Not necessarily All-Clad, but multi-ply. For non-stick, which I don't use often, I buy cheap pans made of thick AL with a non-stick coating and toss them when they fail to perform. Bamboo utensils for the stove 5 for $6.00. Cutting boards - easy care plastic.
Old 11-08-2013, 02:43 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Quality tools and the right tools for the job make any job easier. That said, I don't want or need the very best. I need tools that perform well. Not $1000 Japanese knives, but ones that stay sharp and feel good in my hand. For me, multi-ply stainless pans are the best so that's what I buy. Not necessarily All-Clad, but multi-ply. For non-stick, which I don't use often, I buy cheap pans made of thick AL with a non-stick coating and toss them when they fail to perform. Bamboo utensils for the stove 5 for $6.00. Cutting boards - easy care plastic.
I gave my Japanese $150.00 knife away to my son. It was a gift and she meant well, but too sharp and long for me. I have bought my knives, pans and other items as I needed them. As my income over the years increased, I have replaced some very early purchases. My pans were bought one at a time for a specific need. Not always the top of the line. A Revere Ware double boiler pan was given as a Christmas gift more than 25 years ago. I think I have used the top maybe twice. I prefer the bowl over hot water. An item I would never have bought myself. I don't have two pans that match. I buy a package of 3 wooden spoons at the $ store. They get tossed about twice a year to be replaced. Yard sales are my favorite to find kitchen items. I want functionality and ease of cleaning. I don't want to spend my last days on earth cleaning. And over the years, useless item have been tossed real quick. Strainers with handles. In fact, handles on just about all my kitchen items that I use the most. I hate bowls that have no handles. Very difficult to scrape out the contents while you are hugging the bowl to you.
Old 11-09-2013, 04:03 PM   #15
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I gave my Japanese $150.00 knife away to my son. It was a gift and she meant well, but too sharp and long for me.
Is there a tradition (well, a superstition, really) where you are that you must never give a knife as a gift? Over here, if you receive a knife as a gift (even if you requested it) you must give the giver a penny otherwise you will cut the friendship.
Old 11-09-2013, 04:05 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
Is there a tradition (well, a superstition, really) where you are that you must never give a knife as a gift? Over here, if you receive a knife as a gift (even if you requested it) you must give the giver a penny otherwise you will cut the friendship.
I have heard that here also. It goes for anything sharp or pointed. Scissors!
Old 11-09-2013, 05:26 PM   #17
Executive Chef

When I got married the first time :/ 40 years ago we received a Chicago Cutlery knife set that had a penny included. So yes, this is apparently tradition on both sides of the pond, but sadly a lot of traditions have gone by the wayside. I think it's a nice sentiment though. Back on topic........ermm.....what was the topic again? Lol!
Old 11-09-2013, 10:36 PM   #18
Proud American

Hello!

I am trying to put together cookware and these other things for my basement kitchen.

Everyone here will help you very much for anything! You must just ask.

Welcome to this website!

With love,
~Cat
Old 11-09-2013, 10:57 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatPat View Post
Hello!

I am trying to put together cookware and these other things for my basement kitchen.

Everyone here will help you very much for anything! You must just ask.

Welcome to this website!

With love,
~Cat
Hello Cat! Glad to see you are still with us. How did the test go?
Old 11-09-2013, 11:02 PM   #20
Proud American

The test went very nicely! I was away for my friend's children were hit by a car and I have been to the hospital every day.

I posted of this but no one answered. It is a terrible accident. One child is not expected to survive this.

I made a 94 on my test. I do not like that. I should have done this much better.

With love,
~Cat