"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > New Member Introductions!

Old 04-06-2009, 05:01 AM   #11
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by timm99 View Post
Hello. I am new to this forum. But not to forum-ing. I do not cook as much as I buy those magazines with all the recipes with the pictures. I love those magazines.

I want to cook more, but don't because I do not have anyone to cook for. But I want to start some type of process where I am moving toward making a nice meal every Saturday. So I thought I would join a place like this and maybe get off my rear and get something going. I know how to cook. I helped my mom growing up. I worked in a restaurant years ago but that was mainly kitchen prep. And I have watched a lot of the Food Network. I just need to get to it.

Is this the best place like this for cooking?

Tim.
Welcome Tim
I think that's a great idea, (making a nice meal every Saturday), we do the same! That way you have all week to get some ideas together. You'll enjoy it here.

Old 04-07-2009, 08:25 PM   #12
Assistant Cook

Thanks so much everyone. I am a list maker. I went through my magazines and started a list today for this Saturday's meal. I think taking that time to think about it and gather ingredients will help me prepare for making it happen.

Old 04-07-2009, 08:30 PM   #13
Head Chef

Welcome Tim - when I was a single gal, I also made myself a really nice meal every Sat night. Eventually, I cooked 2-3 times per week and I always made myself a special meal on Sat night (with dessert!). Learning to cook for one just means you have to scale the recipe back if you can to adjust the portion size. This is a great place with lots of good people, recipes and advice.

So, what are you going to make on Sat night?
Old 04-07-2009, 08:32 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Hi, Tim. Welcome to DC. I was recently widowed and am now cooking for one. It's a different world for me, but it can be done...I think. Still learning.

I'm a list-maker, too. I plan my menus in advance and create a grocery list from the recipe ingredients. I understand your mindset.

Stick around here. There's a wealth of information and help available.
Old 04-07-2009, 08:57 PM   #15
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toots View Post
So, what are you going to make on Sat night?
Grilled salmon with mango avocado salsa topping.
Old 04-07-2009, 09:20 PM   #16
Senior Cook

the more you cook at home, the more exciting it gets, an it gives you something to think about all day, like what you are going to cook for supper. You will enjoy it
Old 04-07-2009, 09:28 PM   #17
Assistant Cook

I was playing golf with a guy a few years ago who was talking about what he was going to cook that night. When I asked why he cooked instead of went out to eat, he said that when he cooked, he made food just the way he liked it. I remember thinking that he also was enjoying talking about what he was going to cook.
Old 04-08-2009, 06:12 AM   #18
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by appleyard14 View Post
the more you cook at home, the more exciting it gets, an it gives you something to think about all day, like what you are going to cook for supper. You will enjoy it
I agree with this. After a stressful day at work, cooking is a nice way for me to relax. May sound weird, but I enjoy cooking and doing little projects in the kitchen helps me unwind and forget about the BS and stress of the office.

Your dinner on Sat night sounds great -