"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > New Member Introductions!

Old 12-23-2012, 05:44 PM   #11
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLC View Post
I missed that the first time. But the rest applies. The current fashions in vegetarian pizzas and vegetarian tacos include so many good ones requiring minimal prep. Doesn't take a vegetarian to like the one I saw recently, taco with tempura fried avocado wedges and shredded cabbage with wasabi sour cream.
Stop, you are making me hungry...

Old 12-23-2012, 05:49 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

My idea of a perfect meal is a big bowl of steamed broccoli with a big hunk of butter on it. And I am not even a vegetarian.

Old 12-23-2012, 06:03 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

They are more expensive, but take advantage of the prepped veg in the produce department.

Even better, since you are cooking for one, take advantage of the salad bar, if your store has one, for fresh veg already chopped, you can buy exactly what you need with no waste, who says that salad bars are only for making a salad! This is a huge time saver!

Commit to learn one new dish every week, and before you know it, you'll have a collection of easy go-to recipes.

Don't get bogged down with complicated recipes. TV chefs are constantly challenged to make more interesting and complicated foods, so following their recipes full of exotic or expensive ingredients, can be daunting. Learn "base" recipes that are easy to build on and customize.

And clean as you go, no need to make cooking more of a chore than it needs to be.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 06:28 PM   #14
Master Chef

There are frozen vegetable mixes that you can use that cuts down on prep time. There are stir fry veggie mixes, chopped onion, chopped green pepper, and other mixes. I like two in particular. One has onion celery and green pepper that I use in my jambalaya and and onion green pepper and carrot that I use in my chili. So check out the frozen section as well if you want to add to a dish.
Old 12-23-2012, 06:38 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

A friend (who is a vegetarian) made a simple lunch for us the other day. She put three potatoes in the microwave (nuked those), chopped up a red onion, some cilantro. Mixed chick peas and the cilantro with the mashed up potatoes. We ate those on piri (punched a hole in the top), scooped the mixture in, dressed with yogurt, taramind (sp) sauce, and some powdered Indian spice (I think it came with the piris). It was fun to eat and suprisingly filling. When cooking for one, your freezer is your best friend. Freeze the leftovers in portions so you can grab them quickly. On the weekend, make a big pot of vegetarian chili and freeze that in portions for a quick lunch. Welcome to DC, btw. I love to cook, but not every day. Some days, I just want a big bowl of popcorn.
Old 12-23-2012, 06:52 PM   #16
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Head for your local library. You will find a plethora of cook books for vegetarians. Head to your local store and pickup the fixings for a salad.

Cooking doesn't have to be daunting or a waste of time. Keep in mind the end result. Something you enjoy eating and a sense of accomplishment. Tearing up lettuce, adding and peeling cucumbers, carrots are activities that will feed you a nourishing meal. Discuss with your friends their eating habits. You may find out that one of them is also a vegetarian. You can compare notes.

And lastly, come back here. The folks here are friendly and ready at the drop of a hat to help.

Welcome to DC. A fun place to be.

+1
Old 12-24-2012, 12:07 AM   #17
Cook

"I'm vegetarian. I can make pretty much only make mashed potatoes and, perhaps bizarrely, punjabi chole. I've made it a bunch of times using a recipe and a seasoning packet."
Nothing bizarre about punjabi chole! It also goes by the name of "chana masala", "chana" meaning chickpeas, as you know, and "masala" meaning mixed spices, so I assume that you are able to buy masala spice mix. That is fine, my BGD and I sometimes buy premixes at oriental groceries, but if you ever decide to save money and make your own, for one portion combine 1 teaspoon (tsp) each of turmeric, cummin, coriander, and garam masala (this last one, "hot spice mix" can also be made from scratch, but you can find it premixed in the spice section of any good supermarket with the other spices that I mention) and 1/2 tsp of chilli powder. Most of us make it up in bulk and store it at room temperature in a tightly lidded jar. You can use this with yr chickpeas, or, if you are not vegan and can eat eggs, add it to egg curry or andai masala. You will need:
6 Hard boiled eggs. These should be cooked and ready when you start the masala. Peel off the shells, but leave them whole.
6 Tablespoons (Tbs) of any kind of vegetable oil (don't waste money on olive oil here)
Two large onions chopped to a small dice (there should be a video on YouTube that demonstrates this. All you need is an onion a board, and a sharp knife)
1 14.5 oz can of diced tomatoes
2 Tbs tomato ketchup (transfer the rest to a small jar with a tight lid and save in the 'fridge')
Fry the diced onions in the olive oil in a pan on medium heat until soft and translucent, about five mins. Don't let them turn brown.
Add enough water to one portion of masala in a container (not plastic!) to make a paste, and add it to the onions and cook for about 10 minutes or so.
Add the diced tomatoes. This should provide enough moisture, but if the paste is beginning to stick, add a little water and stir it in.
Stir in the tomato paste and cook for about 15 minutes or so. As you are cooking and tasting, add any salt that you think is needed.
Add the whole boiled eggs and let them warm through.
Serve with rice or whatever you fancy.
If you like this, there are other masala recipes on line, I'm sure, and if you follow this and some of the excellent ideas already posted, in no time you'll be cooking and enjoying good food!
Cheers
Old 12-25-2012, 08:22 PM   #18
Assistant Cook

You guys are totally awesome. Thanks so much for the suggestions. I will be taking your suggestions and your responses have gotten me excited about cooking. Maybe I can ride this motivation into being more cooking-friendly.

Merry Christmas to everyone!
Old 12-26-2012, 03:04 AM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Welcome to DC Panda and Merry Christmas to you too
Old 12-26-2012, 07:47 AM   #20
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandathorax View Post
You guys are totally awesome. Thanks so much for the suggestions. I will be taking your suggestions and your responses have gotten me excited about cooking. Maybe I can ride this motivation into being more cooking-friendly.

Merry Christmas to everyone!
Thanks, panda. One more thing -- if you wouldn't mind, can you tell us where/how/why "pandathorax" comes from? Inquiring minds (and nosy people) would love to know.

Tags
cooking