I feel like I'm home again!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Your right about the High School group thing. Right now we are new and have a tendency to huddle up. As time goes on we will start to spread out. You will notice that we are from all over the world. Even with that we found ourselves as close as any family can get.

I understand your curiosity about this mass emigration to DC. Everyone is closed mouthed and I can understand that too.

However in broad terms, it was a free speech thing and we felt an Administer over stepped the bounds. You can imagine it had to be something radical or members that had over 5000-10000 posts would not have decided to leave. We choose not to reveal the sight name, as there are folks there that we still love and respect. We also respect the fact that the administraters have invested their own money, time, and risk, to form a private enterprise, and have every right to run that business the way they see fit. We just choose not to agree.

The folks that landed on your Island are good, kind, generous folks. They are extreamly knowledgeable (I am an exception to that rule, but every town needs a fool).

If we seem clique'y we're not, we just swam ashore from a shipwreck and are happy to see that many of our family made it. We'll spread out and hopefully the natives will accept us.

I am so sorry if I opened a can o' worms, so to speak. I didn't mean to leave anyone outside the circle of conversation. I was just so excited to find all the family that I'd been missing! A little over-exuberant perhaps.

Silvercliff and GB said it all! We are refugees who come here only hoping to expand our happy family and discuss food, our love for food, and everything about food. There is no ulterior motive, no hidden agenda - we just want a safe place to play and new friends to play with.

:):) Happy Happy I am I am! The sun is shining, there's a "breeze" that makes the boat rock gently, the coffee is roasting, I don't have to work today, and my friends are only a WAP away! Life is truly good. :)

I am one of the newbies, and just shrieked when I found so many good friends here. And new ones to make. Nothing could be so good, so whoopee everyone.

I can see both sides of this story very clearly and certainly can't add much to what GB has already offered.

Refugees, you likely have already noticed that DC is a family, and a welcoming one at that. We hope you like it here. You will likely also have noticed that you have (inadvertently I am sure!) stepped on a toe or two with your appearance of cliquey-ness. DC has been invaded before and those who remember it are a bit leery. If you just follow GB's advice to keep the personal stuff to PMs the "old guard" will feel more comfortable and less "taken over" thus smoothing the transition for us all.

A hearty welcome to you all. You will be appreciated here.

hi guys, guess who???? :)

well, i hope my comments haven't hurt anyone's feelings. i apologize if they have, and i'm glad the air has been cleared a little. i understand and completely respect all of the newbies reasons for wanting to leave things in the past, or at least show professional courtesy to other sites.

btw, i don't represent this site in any way, so my comments were strictly my own. i think a few of us felt the way i did, and was just looking for a wink or a nod. not a pissin' match.

ok, well, nothin' to see here folks... move along now.. c'mon, move along...

and welcome again, harborwitch.

p.s. anyone of the new members in or around nyc are always welcome for a tour of the cbs studios in manhattan, or a pint up the block if you're around late.

Oh is she Alix! Joisey City. She doesn't know it yet, but one of these days her and Julia Childs cat might find a short, rotund, bald headed man knocking on their door :LOL: . All I've seen of NYC was in 1967 when I had an hour layover at Penn Station and got to walk around the block.

LOL, thanks BJ. And I asked because my sister lives in Roebling. I want to visit her again soon (when I can afford it :rolleyes: ), so maybe I will be able to meet some more new friends while I'm at it.

I have to say..... I think these folks are really nice. And Im afraid we scarred them away. :ermm: No reason to knock them. We (I) have open arms and until they cause trouble, there is no need to question hardly on where they came from or why. Let them enjoy the site.
You all know from 2002 that Ive been here and watched people come..... and go. And I hope you remember that I am VERRRRRRY upset when folks act like jerks. These people have not even had the CHANCE! :huh:
Let them be guys. If they decide to do "dumb" things THEN dish it out.

Personally Im disappointed in our hospitality in this instance. :ermm:

For the new folks...... WELCOME!!!!!!!!
23.gif
23.gif

Thank you Deadly Sushi. I fully understand the trepidation of some of the members and do not hold it against them in the least. You'll probably see cjs [Jean] call me Pollyanna because I always try to see the positive side of things...that's only one of the names she calls me :ROFLMAO: . So far, I couldn't have had a warmer welcome and any friendlier exchanges. Another day or two and you'll need a crowbar to budge me!:LOL: I can see the warm family here in DC and I WANT IN:) .

I love your name DEADLY SUSHI. My ship in the Navy stopped in Okinawa while we were on cruise and one of the officers took several of us to a Japanese restaurant. We were the only non-Japanese in the place and he was the only one that spoke Japanese. He told us to look at the bank of shaved ice behind the counter and pick out what we wanted to eat..these fish, shrimp, etc., were still flipping and trying to crawl around. I saw this lovely yellow fish that looked like it was practicing for the olympics and chose it. Then as was my want, I began chattering at the Japanese gentlemen on either side of me, not knowing if they understood a word or not. Pretty soon this platter with various bowls on and around it was deposited in front of me with this gorgeous yellow(ish) fish in the center...eyeballs and all. That was ok, you know the old "when in Rome," saying. I had chopsticks and a spoon. There was this delicious kind of seaweedy looking soup that was quite..uh different, kind of sourish...oh well, I ate it and next to it was whole kernel corn...now how am I going to manage that? The two Japanese gentlemen were having the time of their life watching me. I finally managed to shove the corn into the spoon with my chopsticks...Now, for that lovely fish. I began picking at it and finally got a good sized bite..oh, it was superb. I ate some more of it and then noticed this blacky-brownish stuff on my chopsticks. I was peering at it from all directions and the Japanese men were dying laughing. It was the fish guts! They hadn't cleaned it..it had gone from the ice straight onto the grill [oh PETA where are you? At least whack it first.] Finally one of the Japanese took my chopsticks and called for a clean set and showed me how to eat it without getting any of the guts...I gave them the eyeballs! Had a wonderful time with those two guys and neither of us understood a word the other was saying.:-p

Alix said:
LOL, thanks BJ. And I asked because my sister lives in Roebling. I want to visit her again soon (when I can afford it :rolleyes: ), so maybe I will be able to meet some more new friends while I'm at it.
Well, I love company, even if Julia Child Kitty has a different concept of the word.... Just let me know when you'll be in town! :)

DS: we don't scare easily. The curiosity was natural. Our arrival must've seemed like an invasion of sorts... and "the troops" are still dribbling in! Anybody seen Scotty????? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom