I just found this website -- WOW!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lefsemaker

Assistant Cook
;) I love to cook. My grandparents came from Norway in the early 1900's and so norwegian cooking is a big feature in my life. I don't usually make potatoe lefser at any other time of the year except Christmas, however, every so often I get a "hankering" for some and just have to make a few -- there is no LAW that says one has to make 50 at a time (as we do at least twice for Christmas). If I have a few mashed or boiled potatoes left from a meal it is always tempting to use them to make lefse -- especially now that I am a "retired person". I live in NW Ontario where blueberries, raspberries, rhubarb and other fruits rule. It is -38 C as I type this introduction today -- Feb. 11/07. In the summer we have a lot of hot days -- 30 C is not that unusual, so I live in the land of extremes. Besides cooking I love all crafts -- oh yeah, one little thing that gets in my way occasionaly is that I am legally blind. You don't have to see well to cook, but embroidery and especially "Hardanger" require the use of a visor with a heavy duty magnification aid attached -- it works. I came to this site looking for a recipe for flour lefse. We aren't familiar with it as my grandmother was from the Lilehamar region of Norway and grandpa was from Fresvik -- just north of Bergen. Potato lefser is the primary type of lefser made as potatoes grow very well in these areas. I look forward to being active on this site.

Welcome to the site Lefs,
I'm sure someone will beable to help with the flour lefs. We have so many wonderful home cooks and chefs here. And I'm sure they will be asking you for directions on potatoe lefs you make.

kadesma:)

img_399027_0_3e78f0b4f8bcb5dd7a490146e7f5871a.gif
and welcome to DC, lefsemaker!! I hope you will share lots of fun and maybe some special Norwegian recipes with us!! So you have your roots in Lillehammer!! Wow, the Olympics that was held there 13 years ago was one of my all time favourite Olympic games, I have lots of good memories, though I could only see them via television!! I hope I will be able to visit the country some day, it seems to be a beautiful place.
In any case, we are so happy to have you here!! Have fun!!

Welcome, I am so glad that you found us. I know you will like it here. Great recipes and the best members anywhere.:)

Thank you all for your welcome. I know I will love this site already! I was very fortunate to be in Norway for the '94 Olympics. My son and (who was in High School at the time) had hosted an exchange student the previous year with the intention that Brian could work more on his norske and do an exchange in Norway the following year. He got "cold feet" so we decided to go to Norway for the last week of the Olympics and stay for a further three weeks. He was given a leave by the High School and provided with a video camera for our tour. His "homework" was to prepare a 30 min. video that would be shown in the four classes he was enrolled in -- quite a challenge! Our exchange student's mtoher insisted that we stay in their home (in Hamar) so we got a good immersion into family life in Norway. It was a terrific tour -- I can't really call it a holiday as we did so many things that were educational in nature! Since then I have had two more exchange students from Norway in our home -- one from Trondheim and one from Oslo. We had the opportunity to travel to Trondheim by train and meet the next exchange student before he came to Canada. It was fantastic. I want to go back -- actually if I was 20 years younger I would emmigrate -- I was very impressed with the country and we only saw it in winter :)
Brian was able to ski down the olympic runs (after the Olympics were over) with our former exchange student and then go telemark skiing when we were in Trondheim. His video was spectacular and greatly appreciated by many in our small community.

I love to cook and have a couple of good norwegian cookbooks. However, most of my recipes are family favourites. There is a "rule" -- to be a "god jul" hostess (good Christmas) there must be a minimum of seven types of cokies on the plate that you put out for guests. There are 7 norwegian cookies on our plate, plus a few other recipes that I have learned/modified over the years. I'm not very good at following a recipe -- a recipe gives me an idea of the ratio of ingredients and process, then I do it "my way". It drives my son crazy (he's a really good cook) so I have had to sit down and develop a "cookbook" for him (and my niece and nephew). Its just homemade, printed from recipes I have typed onto my computer, but I do get a lot of requests from others -- especially other 2nd or 3rd generation norskers who can't find their family recipes. I look forward to meeting others from around the world on this site.

Thanks for sharing the story, Lefsemaker!! It must have been a wonderful experience, especially for your son, to share the live moment when the Olympics were on!! And he got to ski on the same course where Kjetil Andrè Aamodt glided down just days before... how cool is that!!:-p

It is so nice that you keep your Norwegian heritage alive, and keep it close to your heart and life. So, we are waiting for some Norwegian cookie recipes!!:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Well, uffda!! good to hear from a fellow Norwegian - I've never seen an 'r' at the end of lefse....interesting. I'm with you, I could eat it year round, but I hold myself back. ; )

Oops -- I'm not sure why I was putting an "r" on the end of lefse -- it doesn't belong there! Ah, well, I'm still learning. I will post some of the Christmas cookie recipes, however, they may not be a whole lot different then the ones on the "Sons of Norway" site, or some of the other sites that include recipes for ethnic food. As for the moment, I am going to sleep. Thank you for your responses.

"Sons of Norway" site," - there's a Sons of Norway website???????

For heaven's sake - my dad was president of his chapter, I don't know how many times over the years! Never missed a Lutefisk dinner - as my husband gagged.

i'm off to search for the website...;)

Welcome lefse. I am also new here and am a fellow Norwegian.
I grew up making rosettes, lefse, and potato dumpings every Christmas with my great granny and granny. Potato Dumpings is a tradition that my family has continued over the years- just wouldn't be Christmas Eve without them!!
Thanks for sharing, always fun to meet a fellow Norwegian.

Back
Top Bottom