I need some help.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Longhorn Nurse

Assistant Cook
Hello everyone,

I have always enjoyed cooking although never had to cook in large quanities which has now changed. I returned back to college a few years back to get me doctor of nursing practice and live in a medical society with about twenty other students. We had to let our cook go and had some problems finding a new one so I volunteered to do the cooking which I have been doing for a few weeks. The budget for food $350.00 a week and after all is said and done I mostly have to throw in a little of my own money. Classes start back on Monday and the time I have been having to cook has been alot more than I thought it would be.

I buy most of the food at a wholesale club and search through the weekly sales ads. I only cook four dinners a week although it seems like my whole day is consummed with shopping and cooking. Can someone please give my some ideas to streamline the cooking and some quanity cooking ideas so that I can start cooking in larger quanities and freezing things for future dinners?

Thanks for your time

Look for boneless skinless chicken thighs. Cook them all however you like, and save portions to use in rice dishes, salads etc.

I use a smoker for mine and will smoke them.

20 people eating 4 dinners cost $350; that's ............. about $4 something per dinner? Hmmmmmmm...I have to think about this one. Your time is worth something too.....

Here's a thread to get you started:
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f17/does-anyone-do-freezer-cooking-17865.html

another easy one:
French Dips

In a freezer bag, put a 3-4 lb. roast (whichever's on sale that day), along with a chopped up onion, about 2-3 Tbsp of your favorite mustard and then some pepper, thyme and a little salt to taste. Take the air out of it as best as you can and freeze.
On serving day, put the frozen roast into a crock pot, along with up to 1 full box of beef broth (I use Wolfgang Puck). Cook on low 8 hours or so. Fork shred the meat. Serve by splitting french rolls and scooping meat into them, along with a slice or two of good white cheese & a couple of tomato slices. Use little ramekins to serve the dipping broth.

------------

Along the same lines (easy!)
Spicy Pork Sandwiches

Do the same as the French Dip recipe, but here's what you put into the bag: 3 lb. boneless pork roast, 1 jar (liquid as well) of sliced pepperoncinis, 3 Tbsp. oregano.
Cook & serve just like the French Dips, but no need for dipping broth.

Think cheaper cuts of meat, lots of starches and try to buy local vegetables while they are still in season.

Meatloaf
Burritos
Sweet & Sour meatballs
Tacos
Bologenese sauce

Pulled pork sandwiches
Pork stew

Beef stew
Chili

Roast whole chickens
Don't wait for thanksgiving to roast turkeys, either.
Roast hams, especially fresh ham, although a smoked ham is great.

Serve a salad at every meal, or soup....nothing simpler than chicken noodle soup, especially if you are roasting chickens.

Serve potato, pasta or rice with each meal. Serve a vegetable.

Dessert can be as easy as fresh fruit or as economical as fruit cobblers...

Let's try it this way ... how many meals per week are you trying to prepare for 20 people on a budget of $350/wk?

Since UTMB is in Galveston - you should be able to get some good deals on fresh seafood ...well, except for in the aftermath of a hurricane :mad:

Back
Top Bottom