"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > New Member Introductions!

Old 04-23-2015, 04:54 PM   #11
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jevans98 View Post
I thank all of you who replied, i really appreciate it.
The product/products that i want to create are a range of utensils that are easy to clean and dont get food stuck in gaps, not utensils that are used to clean other utensils.
Secondly, what i mean by my problem is that i find that the way some utensils are fitted together can be quite fiddly and i feel that it doesnt need to be fitted like that. For example i find many of the knives, larger spoons, graters have fittings that are two akward to get at.
I will try and post some pictures to show what i mean.
I also understand that most people use washing machines, i actually use one where i work but still encounter this problem, however i still feel this is an issue but i may be wrong.
Thanks again for the replies
I think you are wrong.

I've had no problem washing up items like mashers and graters and the other items you mention. Typically I do not bother the DW for these items.

Sounds like a solution searching for a problem.

Old 04-23-2015, 05:02 PM   #12
Assistant Cook

I personally experience this problem daily so its not a solution searching for a problem, i was just interested in finding out whether others experience this as well

Old 04-23-2015, 05:10 PM   #13
Senior Cook

When you say you want to "create" these utensils what would you do then? Patent them?
Do you have the $ to manufacture them?
Sell the patents? Are you in a position to finance the tens of thousands of dollars to get patents on them? Check out what Ikea is doing with their kitchen product line. Also 'Lee Valley'.
I'm certainly not trying to dissuade you from you achieving your goal.
Just asking the obvious questions.
Best of luck moving forward.
Notice how the existing kitchen utensils are made.
The only reason they are made this way is b/c it's the cheapest way. The machinery used to make them in China and India is fifty years old and the hourly wage for a worker is like 25 cents. That's why Wal-Mart can sell them for next to nothing. Moving cheap common kitchen utensils into a higher purchase price is a VERY tough sell. Only 'Kitchen Boutiques' will sell them and even then they'll want to buy your utensils for nothing.
Old 04-23-2015, 05:15 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jevans98 View Post
I can see two potential places for the potato masher where food can get stuck and difficult to clean. Up in the small crevice where the metal goes into the handle and around where the two pieces of metal are riveted together.
Old 04-23-2015, 05:16 PM   #15
Assistant Cook

Money, knowledge and other aspects of business are not an issue. I have researched into whether other companies do this sort of thing however have not found anything specifically like what i want to do, maybe theres a reason for that but i dont know, i just wanted to get a bit of feedback as to what peoples opinions on the idea were.
Old 04-23-2015, 05:17 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by puffin3 View Post
When you say you want to "create" these utensils what would you do then? Patent them?
Do you have the $ to manufacture them?
Sell the patents? Are you in a position to finance the tens of thousands of dollars to get patents on them? Check out what Ikea is doing with their kitchen product line. Also 'Lee Valley'.
I'm certainly not trying to dissuade you from you achieving your goal.Just asking the obvious questions.
Best of luck moving forward.
You aren't?
Old 04-23-2015, 05:19 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I don't think companies are doing this specifically. I think a number of companies do it because it makes sense. I try to pay attention when I buy stuff and avoid the stuff with dirt catcher places.

Now, if someone would just design oven doors so food and liquids wouldn't fall between the two panes of glass in the window, I would be pleased.
Old 04-23-2015, 05:21 PM   #18
Assistant Cook

The two places that you are describing are exactly the types of thing i mean. I find that other products contain these sort of features too and i feel like its just over complicating the designs. This is probably to make the process cheaper but thats just a guess. I feel like the products can be made without these features and thats what im looking into. I appreciate the positive feedback
Old 04-23-2015, 05:40 PM   #19
Executive Chef

I don't have problems cleaning the items put forth. I would be concerned that you will end up with "Only $19.95 plus shipping and handling, but wait, if you order now we will give you another one free, just pay shipping and handling!", on some obscure cable T.V. ad. Now if you really want to "float my boat", come up with something that will clean my dies/cutters for the pasta machine, mandolin and sausage making equipment!
Old 04-23-2015, 06:36 PM   #20
Master Chef

I've never had a problem cleaning a grater or a masher either via hand cleaning or a dishwasher.

How would you alter them to make them "easier" to clean?

Remember, performance is probably the most important aspect of a kitchen tool.