I would like your feedback on a potential project

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The two places that you are describing are exactly the types of thing i mean. I find that other products contain these sort of features too and i feel like its just over complicating the designs. This is probably to make the process cheaper but thats just a guess. I feel like the products can be made without these features and thats what im looking into. I appreciate the positive feedback

I have a plastic potato masher with no rivets and my dishwasher cleans it and my grater with ease. I'm not sure you've researched the market thoroughly. And I think puffin3 asks good questions.

I have a plastic potato masher with no rivets and my dishwasher cleans it and my grater with ease. I'm not sure you've researched the market thoroughly. And I think puffin3 asks good questions.

Exactly.

There are plenty of one piece mashers and graters,etc. already on the market that have nowhere for gunk to hide.

Plenty of companies are are way ahead of Jevans98 on this.

And puffin did sort of hit the nail on the head with his/her questions

I've never had a problem cleaning a grater or a masher either via hand cleaning or a dishwasher.

How would you alter them to make them "easier" to clean?

Remember, performance is probably the most important aspect of a kitchen tool.

Soaking in hot soapy water usually takes care of any stuck food products. Or at least soft the food so that a good hard spray with your sink hose should release the food. If it doesn't, then it is a badly designed product.

As a rule, products that are badly designed end up in your local Dollar Store. Or on a TV ad which end up with the name of "as seen on TV". Famous last words. "Oh you know what I mean, as seen on TV?" America's famous last words.

Sure there are products that will trap small food pieces. For those that do and can't be cleaned with ordinary effort, the manufacture will hear from the consumer and they will either redesign it or send it to the Dollar Store to get some of their money back, then close their doors. :angel:

Soaking in hot soapy water usually takes care of any stuck food products. Or at least soft the food so that a good hard spray with your sink hose should release the food. If it doesn't, then it is a badly designed product.

As a rule, products that are badly designed end up in your local Dollar Store. Or on a TV ad which end up with the name of "as seen on TV". Famous last words. "Oh you know what I mean, as seen on TV?" America's famous last words.

Sure there are products that will trap small food pieces. For those that do and can't be cleaned with ordinary effort, the manufacture will hear from the consumer and they will either redesign it or send it to the Dollar Store to get some of their money back, then close their doors. :angel:

You nailed it, my friend !!

In her original post, she never mentions manufacturing. All she is doing is fact gathering. The only aspect she spoke of was that of design. She didn't even mention what she would with the designs. And further down the original poster dismissed her questions with her answer. All she said was she was thinking of a business idea. She never mentioned at any time what she would do after her fact finding venture.

If in the event she comes back with plans for what she found out, and plans to go further with her findings, then that is the time to ask those questions. Just sitting down with a paper and pencil trying to redesign the wheel, doesn't cost anything except for the paper and pencil. :angel:

Both my crisscross and squiggly "S" shaped hand mashers are the most common used tools in my kitchen when I want to mash something. But then again I usually cook for one, and have no need for a processor to do that for me. A box grater works for me as well...they all go in the sink full of soapy suds when I'm done with them, let them soak a bit, wash, and easy peasy.

But that is just me. :LOL: I don't want a bunch of gadgets cluttering up my limited kitchen space and clean them afterwards.

I'm with Taxy....give me something that can clean between my oven windows and I'm good. :LOL:

Last edited:
Both my crisscross and squiggly "S" shaped hand mashers are the most common used tools in my kitchen when I want to mash something. But then again I usually cook for one, and have no need for a processor to do that for me. A box grater works for me as well...they all go in the sink full of soapy suds when I'm done with them, let them soak a bit, wash, and easy peasy.

But that is just me. :LOL: I don't want a bunch of gadgets cluttering up my limited kitchen space and clean them afterwards.

I'm with Taxy....give me something that can clean between my oven windows and I'm good. :LOL:

When I moved in here, my stove was spotless, including the window. I used to kill myself trying to keep it clean. So since they do not give us self cleaning ovens, let them worry about it. I have enough stuff to keep clean in my kitchen as it is. :angel:

In her original post, she never mentions manufacturing. All she is doing is fact gathering ... Just sitting down with a paper and pencil trying to redesign the wheel, doesn't cost anything except for the paper and pencil. :angel:

So what? They're good questions. IMO, the title of the post - "potential project" - implies more than simple fact gathering. There's not much point in such an exercise if you don't intend for it to go somewhere. It would also be a waste of our time.

Last edited:
In her original post, she never mentions manufacturing. All she is doing is fact gathering. The only aspect she spoke of was that of design. She didn't even mention what she would with the designs. And further down the original poster dismissed her questions with her answer. All she said was she was thinking of a business idea. She never mentioned at any time what she would do after her fact finding venture.

If in the event she comes back with plans for what she found out, and plans to go further with her findings, then that is the time to ask those questions. Just sitting down with a paper and pencil trying to redesign the wheel, doesn't cost anything except for the paper and pencil. :angel:

Once again Addie, the OP is a he, not a she. I find it very curious he is so non specific with his requests, especially as a first time poster requesting a dialog. Maybe it's just me, but Red spam flags certainly went off in my camp.

I think you are wrong.

I've had no problem washing up items like mashers and graters and the other items you mention....
Sounds like a solution searching for a problem.
^This^

Jevans98, I have a masher just like yours. It was my Mom's in the 1950s. I use it regularly, and neither Mom nor I have encountered problems with stuck food. I suggest instead of trying to reinvent the wheel, you clean up your item immediately after using it. No time right then, you say? Serving guests, you say? OK, then put the masher into the empty pot you mashed to potatoes in and add water to cover. Or put a drop of dishwashing liquid and water into a dish pan and soak the masher while eating. The soaking, and bit of arm motion with a scrubbing brush, will keep your masher (and every other kitchen tool) clean as can be.

^This^

Jevans98, I have a masher just like yours. It was my Mom's in the 1950s. I use it regularly, and neither Mom nor I have encountered problems with stuck food. I suggest instead of trying to reinvent the wheel, you clean up your item immediately after using it. No time right then, you say? Serving guests, you say? OK, then put the masher into the empty pot you mashed to potatoes in and add water to cover. Or put a drop of dishwashing liquid and water into a dish pan and soak the masher while eating. The soaking, and bit of arm motion with a scrubbing brush, will keep your masher (and every other kitchen tool) clean as can be.

And ^this^.

Once again Addie, the OP is a he, not a she. I find it very curious he is so non specific with his requests, especially as a first time poster requesting a dialog. Maybe it's just me, but Red spam flags certainly went off in my camp.
+1 We'll see if the thread starter returns shall we?
"I'm thinking of business project that would allow anyone to flick a switch on a wall and the room will light up. Any thoughts?".

Back
Top Bottom