I would like your feedback on a potential project

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jevans98

Assistant Cook
Hi everyone
I have been planning for a while a new business idea as it has been a big problem of mine and hopefully one you have all experienced before. I often experience that with washing up etc. i struggle to get all food and dirt out of small gaps that i feel are unnecessary. Do you experience this too? I am planning a range of easy clean kitchen utensils but i would like your feedback as to whether this is something you would be interested in or any other constructive feedback.
Thank you for your time

Hello and welcome to DC.

You'll have to be a little more specific about "utensils" "small gaps" "unnecessary"

I am confused, too

You are making "easy clean utensils"

Easy to clean utensils?

Utensils that are used to clean something?

There are both food and dirt in these unnecessary gaps? Gaps in what? Like a counter?

Welcome to DC. What Andy said. Can you give us an example? The majority of homes here have automatic dishwashers. So we need some examples of what you are referring to.

And do stick around. We love new members and this is a fun place to come to every day for sharing information and just laughs. :angel:

Hi everyone
I have been planning for a while a new business idea as it has been a big problem of mine and hopefully one you have all experienced before. I often experience that with washing up etc. i struggle to get all food and dirt out of small gaps that i feel are unnecessary. Do you experience this too? I am planning a range of easy clean kitchen utensils but i would like your feedback as to whether this is something you would be interested in or any other constructive feedback.
Thank you for your time
I use a stiff washing up brush for that.

I thank all of you who replied, i really appreciate it.
The product/products that i want to create are a range of utensils that are easy to clean and dont get food stuck in gaps, not utensils that are used to clean other utensils.
Secondly, what i mean by my problem is that i find that the way some utensils are fitted together can be quite fiddly and i feel that it doesnt need to be fitted like that. For example i find many of the knives, larger spoons, graters have fittings that are two akward to get at.
I will try and post some pictures to show what i mean.
I also understand that most people use washing machines, i actually use one where i work but still encounter this problem, however i still feel this is an issue but i may be wrong.
Thanks again for the replies

image.jpg

I can't think of specific examples off the top of my head. I do occasionally come across kitchen tools and equipment and even some plates that cause me to say, "Whoever designed this obviously doesn't have to clean it."

I thank all of you who replied, i really appreciate it.
The product/products that i want to create are a range of utensils that are easy to clean and dont get food stuck in gaps, not utensils that are used to clean other utensils.
Secondly, what i mean by my problem is that i find that the way some utensils are fitted together can be quite fiddly and i feel that it doesnt need to be fitted like that. For example i find many of the knives, larger spoons, graters have fittings that are two akward to get at.
I will try and post some pictures to show what i mean.
I also understand that most people use washing machines, i actually use one where i work but still encounter this problem, however i still feel this is an issue but i may be wrong.
Thanks again for the replies

I think you are wrong.

I've had no problem washing up items like mashers and graters and the other items you mention. Typically I do not bother the DW for these items.

Sounds like a solution searching for a problem.

Last edited:
I personally experience this problem daily so its not a solution searching for a problem, i was just interested in finding out whether others experience this as well

When you say you want to "create" these utensils what would you do then? Patent them?
Do you have the $ to manufacture them?
Sell the patents? Are you in a position to finance the tens of thousands of dollars to get patents on them? Check out what Ikea is doing with their kitchen product line. Also 'Lee Valley'.
I'm certainly not trying to dissuade you from you achieving your goal.
Just asking the obvious questions.
Best of luck moving forward.
Notice how the existing kitchen utensils are made.
The only reason they are made this way is b/c it's the cheapest way. The machinery used to make them in China and India is fifty years old and the hourly wage for a worker is like 25 cents. That's why Wal-Mart can sell them for next to nothing. Moving cheap common kitchen utensils into a higher purchase price is a VERY tough sell. Only 'Kitchen Boutiques' will sell them and even then they'll want to buy your utensils for nothing.

Last edited:
Money, knowledge and other aspects of business are not an issue. I have researched into whether other companies do this sort of thing however have not found anything specifically like what i want to do, maybe theres a reason for that but i dont know, i just wanted to get a bit of feedback as to what peoples opinions on the idea were.

When you say you want to "create" these utensils what would you do then? Patent them?
Do you have the $ to manufacture them?
Sell the patents? Are you in a position to finance the tens of thousands of dollars to get patents on them? Check out what Ikea is doing with their kitchen product line. Also 'Lee Valley'.
I'm certainly not trying to dissuade you from you achieving your goal.Just asking the obvious questions.
Best of luck moving forward.

You aren't? :angel:

I don't think companies are doing this specifically. I think a number of companies do it because it makes sense. I try to pay attention when I buy stuff and avoid the stuff with dirt catcher places.

Now, if someone would just design oven doors so food and liquids wouldn't fall between the two panes of glass in the window, I would be pleased.

The two places that you are describing are exactly the types of thing i mean. I find that other products contain these sort of features too and i feel like its just over complicating the designs. This is probably to make the process cheaper but thats just a guess. I feel like the products can be made without these features and thats what im looking into. I appreciate the positive feedback

I don't have problems cleaning the items put forth. I would be concerned that you will end up with "Only $19.95 plus shipping and handling, but wait, if you order now we will give you another one free, just pay shipping and handling!", on some obscure cable T.V. ad. Now if you really want to "float my boat", come up with something that will clean my dies/cutters for the pasta machine, mandolin and sausage making equipment!:ROFLMAO:

I've never had a problem cleaning a grater or a masher either via hand cleaning or a dishwasher.

How would you alter them to make them "easier" to clean?

Remember, performance is probably the most important aspect of a kitchen tool.

Back
Top Bottom