"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > New Member Introductions!

Old 01-18-2007, 02:30 PM   #11
Master Chef

Yep. That's true. But that's the case with any kind of cookware that she uses and drops on the stove. She asked specifically about RR Cookware's warning.

There is nothing inherent in RR's cookware, that I know of, such that it cannot be used on the stove.

Anything dropped on a ceramic cooktop -- a pot, a can of soup, a heavy knife, a full beer -- could break it and she would have to pay. She won't be any safer with a different type of cookware.

Old 01-18-2007, 02:33 PM   #12
Executive Chef

I've used glass top stoves with all kinds of cookware. If the cookware can't take the glasstop it wasn't made very well. If the glasstop can't take the cookware, It's because you scraped it across the top, a no no with any pan on a glasstop.

personally, I've gotten tired of TV chefs inventing poor cookware when fine cookware exists out there. Yes it costs big money, it's made well and will last.

Anyway, the only cooktop with real reservations is induction which only works with magnetic metals.

Old 01-18-2007, 02:41 PM   #13
Head Chef

I'll stick with my old fashioned electric coil type stove!!!!!!!! Like Breezy says, cats don't always know if it is a flat top. I would check like someone else said and see if the landlords would let you put in your own stove (if you can afford it and don't want to give up the cookware). Otherwise, just be real careful.
Old 01-18-2007, 02:55 PM   #14
Master Chef

Putting in a new stove to accomodate a set of cookware seems to me. Even if it was somehow bad to use it. Just MHO.
Old 01-18-2007, 03:13 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
The only "caution" RR's cookware may be referring to is a potential reaction the enamel on the cookware may have to contact with the heat from the glass surface. The first thing that came to my mind was bubbling enamel on the outside of the cookware.

I'm not a fan of glass cook surfaces, but that is what I immediately thought of since the cookware is enamel-coated. Of course, it's probably applied to the cookware in a fashion that shouldn't make a difference since there is other enamel-type cookware available. Has been for years without trouble, to my knowledge.

I think I'd try to contact the RR cookware people and see if they can give you a more definitive answer to your dilemma.
Old 01-18-2007, 03:14 PM   #16
Senior Cook

You can get a one or two burner electric coil.

Amazon.com: $25-$49 - Countertop Burners / Electric Cookware: Kitchen & Housewares

I had a single one, very inexpensive and it worked fine.
Old 01-18-2007, 03:20 PM   #17
Master Chef

KatieE - that's a good idea. I'd hate to be the renter who had to get into an in-depth argument with my landlord about why it wasn't "my" fault that I broke the range top. The aggravation factor & $$ alone wouldn't be worth it to me.
Old 01-18-2007, 03:29 PM   #18
Master Chef

I'd be really really worried about cookware's enamel that is going to bubble on any kind of stove. If it's going to bubble on a ceramic stove what's going to happen to it on a gas stove over direct flame?

In my experience, there isn't much of an argument about whose fault it is if the cooktop is damaged no matter how. It's in the tenant's apartment and is their "fault" unless some act of God is involved or if it was damaged by intruders. If they drop a Farberware skillet on it and break it, then they are responsible. If a friend drops a bottle of wine on it, they are responsible. If RR's cookware melts all over it, they are responsible.

If it does melt or disfigure on any kind of stove, it shouldn't be sold, IMO.
Old 01-18-2007, 04:44 PM   #19
Executive Chef

Jennyema!I also love my ceramic cook top.
Old 01-18-2007, 04:51 PM   #20
Hospitality Queen

Boom, Jenny's got some great ideas!

I'd too call the RR toll-free to see if there's any other info regarding the glasstop. Also, the fact your landlord didn't say you could not use this type of cookware leads me to believe that he/she did not say it to any tenant before you. Who's to say that the previous tenant didn't use enamel pans?