"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > New Member Introductions!

Old 01-18-2007, 10:58 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Unhappy I'm NEW and need help! I HATE my glass stove top!

Good morning

I need suggestions and/or solutions from anyone out there!! I recently bought the Rachel Ray non-stick cookware set with the porcelain-enamel coating. It's beautiful and I can't wait to start using it! However, I was reading the warranty and care manual, where it specifally says "we do not recommend the use of porcelain enameled cookware on ceramic/glass stovetop." So I love my new cookware and I hate my stove top. Unfortunately I am renting this apartment and unable to replace the stove.

So I was wondering if anyone knew of a type of stove top extension, if that even exists. Basically something like a raised gridle to place over the entire stove top. I don't want to exchange my cookware for something to compliment my stove, when I don't even like it!

Suggestions please!
Boomhauer

Old 01-18-2007, 11:11 AM   #2
Executive Chef

Welcome to DC! Glad you found the site.

Unfortunately I can't help with your stove top question.

Old 01-18-2007, 11:17 AM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef

Hi, welcome to DC.

I'd return the cookware and get something you can use in your current situation.
Old 01-18-2007, 11:49 AM   #4
Hospitality Queen

oh Boom, what an awful predicament! There's gotta be something out there to help....
Since you're renting, is there any chance the owners would let you put your stove into their storage or the garage, if you were to purchase your own piece (and take it when you leave?)

BTW, welcome to the DC family.
Old 01-18-2007, 12:31 PM   #5
Executive Chef

Welcome to DC.

As a renter, you don't have many options re replacing the stove. I would return/exchange the cookware for something that will work with what you already have.
Old 01-18-2007, 12:57 PM   #6
Senior Cook

I too would return the cookware, depending how long you plan to stay
there. I had a glass top stove and really did not like it, not to even
put more of a damper. I had a very difficult time getting the top cleaned,
even when I used the suggested cleaning cream.
Old 01-18-2007, 01:42 PM   #7
Master Chef

Sorry - but I'm also a member of the "I Hate Glass Stovetops" club.

When we were looking at new electric ranges back in '97, the store had the manuals for every range model, & every single glass-top model said not to use cast-iron cookware or woks. Needless to say, that canned it for me. I was also leery of my cats not realizing it was range (because of the smooth top) & possibly jumping up & getting burned.

As far as your particular situation, I guess it's going to depend on 1) how much you like the cookware, & 2) how long you think you'll be renting in your current spot.
Old 01-18-2007, 02:01 PM   #8
Head Chef

I use my Le Creuset dutch oven on my glass stove top a lot. You just have to be careful not to drag it across the top or (heaven forbid) drop it on it.
Old 01-18-2007, 02:13 PM   #9
Master Chef

Dont return it. USe it. Unless they gave an actual reason why you shouldn't use it. Did they ?

Like Llou, I've used LeCreuset and heavy cast iron skillets on a ceramic top stove for 10 year and they work great.

They are heavy and you need to make sure to handle them carefully so you don't damage the cooktop, but to my knowledge there is no other reason to even think twice about.

RR's cookware is a lot lighter so should present even less risk.

Stove mfrs sometime say not to use cast iron, etc. but that's generally because they have to pay under warranty if the cootop is broken or damaged.

I have never heard of any performance/safety reason why this cookware can't be used. And certainly not seen any in my oen personal experience.

Edited to add that I used to HATE any electric stove but moved into a house w/out a gas line and a (then) new ceramic top stove. I LOVE IT! It's easily the best performing stove I've ever used, save professional stoves in cooking school or my friends' Vikings. Give it a chance and maybe you'll change your mind.
Old 01-18-2007, 02:25 PM   #10
Master Chef

Unfortunately, in this case the original poster is a RENTER. It's not her own stove, & if something happens that she was warned ahead of time might happen, she could easily end up with having to buy her landlord a brand-new glass-top range.