"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > New Member Introductions!

Old 03-28-2011, 07:43 AM   #11
Head Chef

Welcome

Old 03-28-2011, 11:10 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Welcome to DC Ann from South Dakota.
It's a great place to get inspired & learn.

Old 03-29-2011, 06:58 AM   #13
Executive Chef

A big "howdeeeee!" from the Ozarks. (Think Hee Haw! ) On second thought...

I'm only 58 but I'm a retired newspaper photographer/graphic artist.

Welcome, and I look forward to your ideas.
Old 03-29-2011, 07:06 AM   #14
Executive Chef

Hello, and welcome.
Old 03-31-2011, 11:37 PM   #15
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to Mark Webster
Welcome to dc Ann
Old 03-31-2011, 11:59 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by annrast View Post
Thanks for the welcome. Right now I'm trying to get all of my recipes (on scraps of paper, magazine clippings, printouts from online sites, etc) into MacGourmet software. I'm pretty much on my own in learning how to use the software since I can't get to a user forum there. Developer is the only one who can help and he doesn't respond quickly. I also made up my own cookbook almost 20 years ago so that I could keep all my family's favorite recipes close at hand and not lose them. I'll need to go through that and get those recipes included as well. Surely is a lot of work!
Welcome to DC, Ann. I can definitely relate to the work involved. Since getting involved with DC I've got so many new recipes to try and new ones created with the input of others here. It's a very inspirational site where someone comes up with a good sounding idea, others add their twists, and suddenly more recipes to try.

I finally made mine into hard copy printouts, so I could take them into the kitchen with me and to make notes of what worked, what didn't and what to try with it next.

I'm looking forward to getting to know you.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 08:53 AM   #17
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post

I finally made mine into hard copy printouts, so I could take them into the kitchen with me and to make notes of what worked, what didn't and what to try with it next.
Thanks for the welcome. That's pretty funny that you made hard copies of your recipes. I'm doing just the opposite by putting all of mine on the computer with the app for my new iPad--which I will take into the kitchen. I've had various methods over the years: a card file, a family cookbook I made up over 20 years ago, several file folders of recipes I've never tried. I'm eager to get all of these things together in one place and start working on the the recipes I've never tried.

I have coffee-hour duty at church about every six weeks so I like to take some interesting dishes there. Everyone looks forward to seeing what I'll bring next. Sometimes they're good, sometimes they're really good, and sometimes not so good.
Ann
Old 04-01-2011, 09:14 AM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by annrast View Post
Thanks for the welcome. That's pretty funny that you made hard copies of your recipes. I'm doing just the opposite by putting all of mine on the computer with the app for my new iPad--which I will take into the kitchen. I've had various methods over the years: a card file, a family cookbook I made up over 20 years ago, several file folders of recipes I've never tried. I'm eager to get all of these things together in one place and start working on the the recipes I've never tried.

I have coffee-hour duty at church about every six weeks so I like to take some interesting dishes there. Everyone looks forward to seeing what I'll bring next. Sometimes they're good, sometimes they're really good, and sometimes not so good.
Ann
I finally gave up on my card file. 3X5 just isn't big enough. I printed out one of the member's recipes once and it was just so handy to make notes on changes/substitutions, what worked, what didn't, each time I made the recipe, that I tried using it, and i just keep separated by ones I want to try, ones I'm working on, and the tried and trues.

If I had the luxury of a kitchen large enough that I could have a computer in it, maybe I'd keep my recipes there, but I really like having a piece of paper with all the info on it that I can carry around the kitchen when gathering my materials, especially handy are the notes I add, like - make sauce thinner, try using sherry, would be good with fish.. so that the next time I make the recipe, I'll try the recipe another way.

I don't understand how someone can use a recipe when the recipe is on the computer. It just gives me visions of flour and assorted sticky things on my keyboard.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 09:25 AM   #19
Executive Chef

Quote:
...I don't understand how someone can use a recipe when the recipe is on the computer. It just gives me visions of flour and assorted sticky things on my keyboard.
I keep all of my recipes on my computer... BUT I print one off each time I use it for the first time. When I'm through, the printed recipe, with hand-written notes, goes into a plastic sheet protector and then into a recipe notebook.

The computer helps me stay organized, provides a quick reference as to what I have or don't have, and is a means of backing-up all of my recipes, new and old.

It doesn't have to be a "this OR that" but a "this AND that" kind of system.
Old 04-01-2011, 10:10 AM   #20
Assistant Cook

Quote:

I don't understand how someone can use a recipe when the recipe is on the computer. It just gives me visions of flour and assorted sticky things on my keyboard.
I agree with a computer. The iPad is a whole new thing! No crevices for flour or anything else. Just wipe it clean with a microfiber cloth--I have a stack of cleaning cloths that my cleaning lady uses every week so having a clean one available is no problem. The MacGourmet software is really good and I can put whatever recipe I find from the internet and "clip" it to the program. Any notes can be added including revisions, suggestions, wine notes, anything at all. Sync it with the iPad and I'm good to go. If you get the iPhone app, you can even take all your recipes with you wherever you go, including the shopping list.