I'm new, looking forward to new ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Heidi

Assistant Cook
Greeting,
I am 45 years old and want to be a great cook! No, I just want to enjoy my meals and have family time at the dinner table. I need some new ideas for easy great meals. I work full time and often cook on the weekends for the rest of the work week. Any suggestions on spices that add flare. Currently I am familiar with garlic, salt, pepper,lemon pepper , onion and thats about it. Have been cautious with different spices. I need some spice combinations that work together. Hope I don't sound too boring.

Hi Heidi!
7.gif

Welcome to DC.:chef:

Welcome Heidi,
so happy to have you join us..There are many people who will jump right in and help with ideas you can use..Go to the general cooking questions forum and post a note there. Someone will surly drop in and help soon.

kadesma:)

Hello Heidi!
I couldn't agree with you more: family time at the dinner table is super important!
You can ask us anything and you'll get so many answers you'll become addicted to this site like we are:ermm:

First and foremost, make sure to take advantage of our search feature. Click on search, then "advanced search". Type in whatever you're looking for. It's easiest if you search by title only, or you may end up wading through a little too much chit chat:rolleyes:

Here's a great search to try - look for "freezer meals" - I think it will really benefit your family!

We're all so glad you're here, and when you're here, you're family!

welcome heidi.

sheep herding in the mountains must not leave a lot of time for in depth cooking procedures, but you'll find a ton of info here to help you make delicious stuff for your family. how's grandpa, still grumpy???

(sorry, :bounce: couldn't resist, too much tea tonight.)

some fairly safe and tasty herbs/spices that i like are rosemary, thyme, parsley, sage, cilantro/coriander, oregano, marjoram, savory, allspice basil, and bay. the best part about cooking is finding your own blends that put your signature on the dish.
give us what you are thinking of making, and we'll give you the spice combos that we like.

img_219336_0_046a93180fe1cd356fdc309cf22767c7.gif

Hi Heidi welcome to DC! You're going to love it here! Personally I threw caution to the wind ages ago when it comes to herbs and spices :mrgreen: It's so fun to experiment, you never know what'll taste good where (I love to add cinnamon to my rice pilafs for example, or coriander to chicken soup).

Welcome Heidi!! Glad that you have found DC!! I hope you are going to have as much fun as we do!!

WTG for having decided to have a little more adventure with herbs and spices, you will be surprised how much they will enhance with your recipes!! Do not be shy, but some of the strong spices can overpower other ingredients, so until you get used to it just add by small pinches, then taste as you go rather than pouring spoonfuls into the food. Experiment, experiment, experiment, that is the key and the way to learn the way about cooking and how to use your spices!! Here are a few suggestions for you to start with, if not complete...I hope it will give you some idea.

You have a good start, garlic and onion would help just about any dish to be interesting and attractive, at least in my opinion.:mrgreen:

Now, if you like pasta, or anything with Italian flavour, basil(though fresh leaves are much better if available, the dried flaked one in a bottle will also do) and oregano are must.

For Indian and middle eastern, african food, garam masala, coriander seed, cardamom, turmeric, cumin, ginger(also fresh one is recommended over the powders)

Nutmeg adds a nice touch to anything cooked with bechamel or creamy sauce.

Rosemary is a wonderful companion to roasted potatoes, as well as roasted meat, especially pork.

Bay Leaves are also indispensable for anything that will be simmered in liquid for some time, like sauces, risotto, stew etc. Gives your recipe a lovely twist. (don't forget to discard the leaf before you dine...)

Cinnamon is also wonderful for desserts, or to add some surprising twist to other dishes.

Back
Top Bottom