"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > New Member Introductions!

Old 11-02-2013, 09:42 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

In a cooking rut/slump

Has anyone else been in a rut when it comes to cooking? I've been at this for 33 years, cooking for my family. We have 5 children, only 2 live at home now.They both have their own lives, college, jobs and social activities. I still love to cook, but there are stretches that I just don't feel like it.

Old 11-02-2013, 10:11 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
First, welcome to DC.

Now...when it comes to a rut, we've all been there. What to do about it?

In my estimation, just regroup and try something different. I raised 8 children and sometimes I felt as though I was running a mess hall. Then as the numbers reduced, I gained some breathing space and became a little more relaxed.

I also thought about looking into more variety. Having said that, I then began to plan my meals around a "beef-pork-chicken-fish-veal-meatless-leftovers" menu. I took that concept and ran with it. Given this idea, I had 6 days of meal bases that would pep up my meals.

Hang in there. It won't last forever. You'll get ahead of the game again.

Old 11-02-2013, 10:36 PM   #3
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Oh yes, Shrek (the spousal unit) eats a very small variety of meals now, no fun cooking anymore. I've learned to cook for me and he either eats or he fixes his own.

Time to start thinking about all those things you wish you could have tried when there were too many mouths to feed. Expand your basic stock to include some new spices, etc., find new recipes. Our dinner threads are great places to start.
Old 11-02-2013, 11:28 PM   #4
Proud American

Welcome to DC, farmertrish!

You shall find very many of the recipes here to entice and to do of differently. Many of these are of the simple ingredients but to the different dish.

I am sure you shall find of your way away of this rut in here, and we shall help you also.

With love,
~Cat
Old 11-02-2013, 11:38 PM   #5
Head Chef

No such thing as a rut. It's called sick and tired! Tell someone else cook for you!
Old 11-03-2013, 04:12 AM   #6
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by salt and pepper View Post
No such thing as a rut. It's called sick and tired! Tell someone else cook for you!
+1,i just go out to eat if i don't feel like cooking...job done!
Old 11-03-2013, 05:48 AM   #7
Head Chef

Ooh get you mung bean
Old 11-03-2013, 06:24 AM   #8
Head Chef

I wouldnt say Im in a rut, but sometimes I get sick of cooking the same old things over and over. That being said, I can go about 2 months without repeating something, but after 20 + years, I guess it all gets common over time. I try to go to different ethinc restaurants to introduce myself to new dishes, or more importantly, new flavor profiles which will motivate me to experiment, buy new spices ... or whatever it takes to recreate the new things I like. I find the food shows usually rehashing the same old crap over and over. It was entertaining for awhile, and sure I still watch and get new ideas, but for me, I think the best way to get inspired is to go out to new restaurants, new markets and find new things.
Old 11-03-2013, 06:25 AM   #9
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravy Queen View Post
Ooh get you mung bean
gotta be done hun,gotta be done...........!
Old 11-03-2013, 06:35 AM   #10
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry_stewart View Post
I wouldnt say Im in a rut, but sometimes I get sick of cooking the same old things over and over. That being said, I can go about 2 months without repeating something, but after 20 + years, I guess it all gets common over time. I try to go to different ethinc restaurants to introduce myself to new dishes, or more importantly, new flavor profiles which will motivate me to experiment, buy new spices ... or whatever it takes to recreate the new things I like. I find the food shows usually rehashing the same old crap over and over. It was entertaining for awhile, and sure I still watch and get new ideas, but for me, I think the best way to get inspired is to go out to new restaurants, new markets and find new things.
with you on both points larry,cooking shows were a major part of my tv "diet".never watch them now unless the programme includes visits to the country of origin or the food producers themselves.that bit is still interesting to me & some of the scenery etc can be stunning.same with inspiration from eating out.went to a new indian restaurant near me.had a lamb shank curry.the shank was presented vertically with a "chefs hat" on the bone.the idea is that you grip the hat & gently pull.the meat was that tender that the bone came out clean as a whistle leaving the shank fillet on the plate.can't wait to try that at home

Tags
cook, cooking