"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > New Member Introductions!

Old 01-06-2007, 08:41 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Red face In Kansas, can't find what I am looking for

I moved to Kansas 6 years ago from Chicago, and I love living here, except.....there is no food here )except for the bbq.)

So I have been trying to recreate all of our family favorites here at home. I cannot find smoked butt in any store I am ever in. I don't even know if it is called smoked butt, but that is what Grandma used to call it.

I also cannot find any decent mexican or pizza. So while I am here, I am going to be looking for good mexican and pizza recipes, or resturant recommendations.

Talk to you soon
CJ

Old 01-06-2007, 09:17 PM   #2
Executive Chef

Welcome to DC Cent96. Not sure about the smoked butt. Is there a butcher nearby that you could ask? As far as pizza and mexican foods, check out the ethnic forum for ideas and or do a search in that forum for specific questions.

Old 01-06-2007, 10:23 PM   #3
Assistant Cook

Hi CJ. I am new also. I am from Kansas. I have lived here most of my life. I live in Overland Park. Where do you live? There is more to Kansas than BBQ. I'd be more than happy to give you some restaurant recommendations and even some recipes.
Old 01-07-2007, 09:58 AM   #4
Assistant Cook

Thanks Amber

I am in Spring Hill, just south of Olathe. Thanks for your reply. We have really been focusing on adjusting to our surroundings. We have found a couple of places where we have been pretty happy. We go to La Mesa off of 135th street for Mexican food. And we have been going to Rosatis for pizza, but it is always cold by the time we get it home. It is good though. Any recommendations you have would be great. And feel free to set me up with any recipes you want to share!

Talk to you soon
Christine
Old 01-07-2007, 12:11 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Cent96...

Is the "smoked butt" you are looking for a stand alone dish, or as an ingredient in other recipes....??
Old 01-07-2007, 02:17 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Cent96, you can make your own smoked pork butt if you have a stovetop smoker. We have one and have made some of the most delicious smoked pork butt.

As for moving to an area that seems to have limited food/cuisines, we moved to this area (very rural western Kentucky) after 30 years in Washington, DC. Can you say "culture shock?" At first we were disappointed about what we perceived as limited availability of lots of things we were used to back East.

As it turns out, we just weren't looking hard enough or deep enough into our area resources. It became a challenge and quite an adventure at times, but we've adapted very well and can now create nearly any dish we prepared back in the D.C. area.
Old 01-07-2007, 06:15 PM   #7
Assistant Cook

Thank you Katie

Thanks for the advise. I will have to look for a stovetop smoker. Take care
Old 01-07-2007, 06:25 PM   #8
Executive Chef

being as you're from Chicago and all, no place is going to have satisfactory pizza for you but Chicago, you realize that, don't you? I mean the rest of us got things we call pizza, and many are mighty fine and tasty, but they are not a Chicago deep dish pizza. As for your smoked butt, look for a real butcher or meat purveyor and you'll find it.
Old 01-08-2007, 11:47 AM   #9
Master Chef

A pork butt is also called a shoulder in some places.
Old 01-08-2007, 12:01 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

A pork shoulder is a primal cut..that includes the front leg and a portion on top of the leg...the top portion is the "Butt" portion...the lower is used for "picnic" hams...However as jennyema stated..the terms are used interchangeablely...The Boston Butt is what most folks slow cook for pulled pork etc...a fresh "picnic" can be slow cook and pulled as well but will be a different texture and somewhat a different taste....