Intro - belated

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dave the baker

Sous Chef
I really wasn't thinking when I sent my first "thread". I'm Dave. I live in so cal, San Diego actually. I've been cooking and baking for many years and enjoy it immensly (spelling?). I do a lot of experimenting and usually the recipes turn out edible, if not exactly what I was hoping for. I've invented and collected thousands of recipies of all sorts over the years and would be happy to share with one and all.

Currently my sister and I are compiling a "family" cookbook; recipies from Mom, Dad and all. This project may take forever as new contributions roll in and I have to format them to fit the book.

One major project: I'm trying to duplicate the rye bread made by the Vienna Bakery in Fremont, NE and used for sandwiches at Irv's Deli in the same town. It's a big, round loaf with a soft crust, no seeds and a smooth, medium texture, not heavy. No heavy molasses taste either. Any and all suggestions will be welcome, and I will be happy to share any of my recipes with y'all.

Thanks,

Dave

Welcome Dave. When I was a wee child we had a baker by the name of Greenblatz
who made the best pumpernickle bread I have ever ate, itt was a sour dough and I have tried for years to dup that taste. Ive come close a time or too but no cigar. So I share your frustration. I have a very detailed (4 pages) formula for a clasic rye bread that features just the rye flavor no seeds and it sound like it might be what you are looking for. If interested PM and I will do my best to type it out for you.

Welcome, Dave. I'm relatively new to bread baking but an old hand at cooking. I have not built up the nerve yet to attempt rye breads, but they are on my Bucket List out on Sumday Isle.

JoeV

Welcome to DC dave!! San Diego - beautiful city you've got there!!

Since I'm about 15 miles from Fremont, NE, I'll do some checking for you!

Back
Top Bottom