Introducing myself, & posing a canning question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Guinevere

Assistant Cook
Hello out there! My name is "Guinevere" and I have been cooking seriously for only about 9 years. I'm pretty much a self-taught cook/chef, although I did pick up a lot from working under a well-known chef as a waitress. I love experimenting with different kinds of foods, although I haven't ventured too far into Chinese, Thai, or Indian cooking yet, due to all of the spices involved. And I'm more of a "savory" than a "sweet" cook, meaning I prefer to leave the dessert-making to someone else! :LOL:

My latest venture is canning. In fact I have my first question to pose to the forum. I've been told by people whose families have canned for generations, that it's not necessary to pressure can anything (including the low-acid meats and vegetables) for more than 20 minutes at 10 lbs of pressure, as long as it's cooked thoroughly first. They say that pressure cooking for too much will leave you with a jar full of mush. However, all the recipes I read in books or on the internet say to cook for much longer, in order to kill off all the bacteria.

It just makes me wonder because now we're hearing not to cook turkey with the stuffing in it because of the bacteria issue, when people have been cooking this way for generation after generation and yet you never heard about anyone getting sick that way. (At least I haven't :huh:.)

I know it's probably good to err on the side of caution, but I was wondering if any of you forum-goers had some wisdom to impart this novel canner.

Thanks & bon appetit!

Guinevere :chef:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom