"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > New Member Introductions!
Click Here to Login

Old 07-09-2017, 09:35 AM   #1
Cook

Introduction!

Hello all! I made a couple of recipe posts and thought I had better post here as well.

I am a home cook, my great grandmother introduced me to cooking when I was very young. I have been cooking since I was probably 6-7. I am a single father to two boys, one away in college and one that is 11. I also live right next door to my parents and since my mother hates to cook I always cook supper for all of us, "slunch" on the weekends.

In addition to cooking I also love coffee/espresso (For espresso folks I have a La Spazialle Mini Vivaldi and Mahlkonig K30 Vario) PC gaming (gaming rig:Core i5 6600k @4.4, Asrock Z170 Gaming k6, Corsair RM850, G. Skill Ripjaws V DDR4 3200 16gig, EVGA GTX 1080 Ti Founder's edition, CM Storm Stryker white, Mushkin Enhanced Reactor 1tb SSD,CM Hyper D92, 48" curved 4k screen) yes, I am a geek hehe.

I have also recently picked up a new passion, biking. I decided to get serious about it so I bought a 2016 Jamis DXT comp hybrid bicycle. I started riding about 6 weeks ago and I could barley ride 2 miles. On Friday I rode 17 miles which is my personal best. Weighing in at over 388lbs when I started (yes, I love to eat as well as cook). I finally started losing weight last week and when I weighed this morning I was at 374. I was planning on attempting 20 miles this morning, but discovered a split in my front tire.

I love to cook and I do some baking as well. I have some great recipes that I have developed or received from family that I will share as I have time. I live near Omaha and I am almost 40 (ouch, hard hearing that!). I am divorced and will probably stay single. I am currently trying to decide on a new career after leaving the financial industry after 12 years of working for one of the biggest firms in the world. In the past I have been a cop and state trooper, 911/police/fire/rescue dispatcher and sold cars.

I like most foods but two things I can't stand in any form is anything that has a sweet vinegar like sweet pickles, rice vinegar or any other recipe that combines sugar with vinegar. Horseradish is the other thing that turns my stomach.

I look forward to being a part of this community!

Edit: I forgot to mention, when I am sharing my recipes the measurements on non baking items are estimates. I was taught by my Great Grandmother and she never measured anything. I don't either for the most part other than baking. If something is way off please let me know!

Old 07-09-2017, 10:18 AM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

Welcome to DC.

Old 07-09-2017, 10:38 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Hi and welcome to Discuss Cooking That's quite an introduction. Congrats on your weight loss.

Just FYI, regular rice vinegar has no sugar in it. Seasoned or "stir-fry rice vinegar" have added sugar and salt. I only buy the regular. If I want to add something, I can do it myself
Old 07-09-2017, 10:53 AM   #4
Head Chef

Welcome to DC and kudos on weight control...

Ross
Old 07-09-2017, 11:16 AM   #5
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Hi and welcome to Discuss Cooking That's quite an introduction. Congrats on your weight loss.

Just FYI, regular rice vinegar has no sugar in it. Seasoned or "stir-fry rice vinegar" have added sugar and salt. I only buy the regular. If I want to add something, I can do it myself
It does not have any sugar, but it is very sweet and not palatable for me.
Old 07-09-2017, 11:21 AM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossman150 View Post
It does not have any sugar, but it is very sweet and not palatable for me.
Ah, okay. I'm a vinegar fiend - I love all kinds 😍
Old 07-09-2017, 11:32 AM   #7
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Ah, okay. I'm a vinegar fiend - I love all kinds 😍
As long as its not sweet I am too! Not sure why, probably just because of my absolute loathing of sweet pickles hehe. To be honest though, the only time I have had rice vinegar was on cucumbers and onions, there is always the possibility that someone had added sugar...
Old 07-09-2017, 11:44 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossman150 View Post
As long as its not sweet I am too! Not sure why, probably just because of my absolute loathing of sweet pickles hehe. To be honest though, the only time I have had rice vinegar was on cucumbers and onions, there is always the possibility that someone had added sugar...
I was just telling someone about the quick pickles I like to make to go with stir-fries: sliced cucumbers with rice vinegar, a bit of soy sauce, a little toasted sesame oil and sesame seeds to finish. Yummy
Old 07-09-2017, 12:01 PM   #9
Sous Chef

Welcome! Its good to see another Nebraskan.
Old 07-09-2017, 12:02 PM   #10
Head Chef

Welcome to DC

Josie

Tags
introduction