Irene P

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Irene123

Assistant Cook
Hi everyone,I,ve just joined,I am about to start a Wedding Cake business making cakes at home and decorating them,can anybody tell me if I need any liecences to do this.thankyou.Irene

Irene,
It probably depends on what state you are in for the licensing stuff. Welcome to the site and good luck with your cake business!

Hi Irene. Welcome to the site. Definately..check with your state. Most stateswon't allow you to sell foods that have been cooked in a non licensed kitchen. Most home kitchens can't be licensed. I would hate to see you do well...then have someone stop your business....where you would be faced with finding new alternatives. I wish you the very best of luck!

KAYLINDA said:
Hi Irene. Welcome to the site. Definately..check with your state. Most stateswon't allow you to sell foods that have been cooked in a non licensed kitchen. Most home kitchens can't be licensed. I would hate to see you do well...then have someone stop your business....where you would be faced with finding new alternatives. I wish you the very best of luck!

Actually I used to have a neighbor that had a baking business that she ran out of her home. I don't know if she had a license.

Welcome! I know you will love it here. It is great, and people are helpful and personable. But let me warn you, as I have others…this is addictive! :)

Welcome to DC Irene,
Best of Luck on you cake baking venture.

kadesma:)

Thanks everyone for answering,its great,I,m so glad I found you all.Irene

Well, Irene, there are two approaches to this:

1) If you want to set up a formal business and advertise and all that, then you need to check your state, county and city laws. You will probably need a health permit, a licensed kitchen, an assumed name certificate (the name of your business), a tax ID number, and be in compliance with zoning laws.

2) There is the "under the table" approach to get started. This is just where you are baking cakes for friends, or friends of friends, who asked you to do it for them - and they are offer to pay you for your time and materials. It will not be a legal business per se .... but there are a lot of food providers that got started as "cottage industry" enterprises and then moved up to be legal when they got off the ground.

Jazz Foods puts out a book, costs about $100, that helps answer a LOT of questions about starting your own food business.

You might also check with your local Small Business Administration - they can give you advice about what you need to do.

Back
Top Bottom