Is a vegan foodie okay with yall?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't know, I eat more vegies, than I ever did back in my soviet days, but i am less healthy. I think we simply eat too much and move too litle, way too little. I used to walk at least 3-4 miles a day, now I do not walk at all and I am not alone.

Hi there, Charlie! I know what you mean there... Lack of exercise can totally destroy one's health. When it comes to exercise, it hardly matters what we eat if we aren't moving. If you did not sound so far away, I'd have you join me at the gymn. You'd probably take a look at me and say, "and you just eat plants?" and I would say, "Yes, and I love my plants. Them's good eatin'."

Neah, I do not have problem with people who eat plants only. What I am saying is that modern conveniences are also our biggest problem. Here I get out of the house and hope into my car. There I had to walk to catch the bus, from the bus I had to walk to work, same on the way back. Without even thinking of going to gym, I was forced to exercise. Also the amount of food available is amazing. Now and then you see some movie clip or hear a joke how a foreigner fainted in a store seeing what’s on a shelf. It is true. The first time I walked in a grocery store, I was paralyzed, I couldn’t move, I could not believe that something like that was possible. It is a good thing of course, but we over doing eat, I mean over eating.

Neah, I do not have problem with people who eat plants only. What I am saying is that modern conveniences are also our biggest problem. Here I get out of the house and hope into my car. There I had to walk to catch the bus, from the bus I had to walk to work, same on the way back. Without even thinking of going to gym, I was forced to exercise. Also the amount of food available is amazing. Now and then you see some movie clip or hear a joke how a foreigner fainted in a store seeing what’s on a shelf. It is true. The first time I walked in a grocery store, I was paralyzed, I couldn’t move, I could not believe that something like that was possible. It is a good thing of course, but we over doing eat, I mean over eating.

I could not agree more...

Well, some people " eat to live" others " live to eat".
My wife has the smallest portions in the world, doesnt get excited over food. Me, on the other hand, I love shopping for food, cooking food, tasting new things, creating new things...

That's a good point too, Larry. I certainly would not be here if I merely ate for sustenance and enjoyed no further. I imagine that for all of us here, food is an art and pleasure, both in preparation and eating.

There was a musical artist in the 1800's who contrived a musical style where one would play a musical note only once before all notes on the scale were played... only then could that note be repeated. In artistic form, that's how I would describe veganism. That's actually the way I look at raw food: To me, raw food is the abstract art of the food world.

We have all kinds of folks here. I am a vegetarian but cook meat for others as an example... I also think we have a couple of raw food fans here.

I enjoy watching TV food challenge contestants (no matter what show) struggle with the occasional vegan meal restrictions! :LOL:

And I'll do that too, not being vegan or even vegetarian, but I'll get an urge to make a particular meal vegan, just for the fun of it, and for the practice

I do have friends who are vegetarians that I'll have over for a social occasion, and I don't want them to have to bring their own food, which many vegetarians and vegans are becoming accustom to doing these days. To me, that's the sign of a rude host or hostess, when they are unwilling to accommodate the dietary needs or desires of an invited guest. Planning on just giving them salad doesn't - Hack It!

So, I try to be prepared.

Not meaning to gross froggy out, but on the flip side, I think I would instantly put on my 'ignore list' a new DC member who claims to eat no vegetable matter, only meat, raw at that. Am I harboring a double standard?

I can't imagine anyone's having an issue with a vegan on a food forum. On the other hand, people who say, "Y'all" could be in trouble! :LOL:

Welcome to DC.

I can't imagine anyone's having an issue with a vegan on a food forum. On the other hand, people who say, "Y'all" could be in trouble! :LOL:

Welcome to DC.

Being from New York, I didnt think people actually said "Y'all" . I thought it was just one of those stereo typed movie things, until I took a trip to Atlanta. As I was leaving the hotel, the person from behind the desk said " Have a nice day. Y'all". Totally ,made my day. Big culture shock for me. I gotta get out more from under my rock!!

For whatever its worth, ive tried several of Vyapti's recipes with great success. Actually, i made the chickpea salad today ( which ive made in the past). I had it on crackers, my wife on a sandwich. If your vegan ( or not) I strongly recommend visiting his site and trying out a few recipes.

I think by avoiding eating animal meat you cut off the most valuable branched chain amino acids. You can obviously eat food supplements but I don't think it will replace the natural meat. Regards.

Madeja:

Thanks for your opinion. There aren't any essential amino acids in meat that can't be obtained elsewhere or produced by our own bodies. Additionally, animal products contain cholesterol and saturated fats, which are absent in many plant foods. The only vitamin I've found it necessary to supplement is B12.
In regards to these boards, I am here mostly to share some recipes that go along with my lifestyle and learn from others' cooking experiences. I neither wish to debate my lifestyle, nor convince anyone here that my lifestyle is the one they should live.

Madeja:

Thanks for your opinion. There aren't any essential amino acids in meat that can't be obtained elsewhere or produced by our own bodies. Additionally, animal products contain cholesterol and saturated fats, which are absent in many plant foods. The only vitamin I've found it necessary to supplement is B12.
In regards to these boards, I am here mostly to share some recipes that go along with my lifestyle and learn from others' cooking experiences. I neither wish to debate my lifestyle, nor convince anyone here that my lifestyle is the one they should live.

Also I have read that carnivorous animals have 10-20 times the acids required to digest animal protein in their stomachs. An interesting thing to consider. That is not to say that I don't eat meat, I just try to eat less of it.

Poor, poor plants, my hart goes out to them.

Eat Meat, save Plants.;) :LOL:

Welcome to the forum. Actually I love vegans, the less meat somebody else eat, the more of it is left for me.

True, dat! More for me!:ROFLMAO: Seriously, though- everyone is welcome here. I look forward to sampling some of your vegan recipes.

I think by avoiding eating animal meat you cut off the most valuable branched chain amino acids. You can obviously eat food supplements but I don't think it will replace the natural meat. Regards.

I do not think it is any of our business what people who join the forum eat. we are not into medical advises here, we're here to share recipes and cooking tips. ;)

Back
Top Bottom