Is a vegan foodie okay with yall?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I do not think it is any of our business what people who join the forum eat. we are not into medical advises here, we're here to share recipes and cooking tips. ;)

Exactly, CharlieD...we are here for food, fun and information. I enjoy making vegan meals every once in a while and pride myself on doing a good job. While I'm NOT vegan, I have been using more vegetables, rice and beans and making fewer meat purchases. All part of eating healthier and trying to get myself in shape.

Hey! Of course vegan foodies would be welcome... Vegan food is still food, right? ;) And food in it's purest form...
I'm always looking for new vegan meal ideas, as I've decided to go into more of the vegetarian lifestyle myself as of lately...
Any good meal ideas?

Exactly, CharlieD...we are here for food, fun and information. I enjoy making vegan meals every once in a while and pride myself on doing a good job. While I'm NOT vegan, I have been using more vegetables, rice and beans and making fewer meat purchases. All part of eating healthier and trying to get myself in shape.

Well said! This is the way I feel right now too. And I do well for awhile, then the urge to bake some Cinnabons hits. I guess I could have one, and then bring the rest in to work. And more recipes FTF!

Greetings all,

I thought I'd piggy back on this. I too am a vegetarian (have been for a long time). I cook meat for entertainment purposes though (Family/Friends).

If people are willing I'd love to share some vegetarian recipes and not so vegetarian recipes. This forum looks like a lovely place.

Well said! This is the way I feel right now too. And I do well for awhile, then the urge to bake some Cinnabons hits. I guess I could have one, and then bring the rest in to work. And more recipes FTF!

:LOL: I'm well known for baking 12 types of cookies, all in one day and not eating a single one...but they love me at work!

All this talk about vegan cooking and I'm ready to head to the store for ideas...I'm thinking a vegan lasagna would be really good tonight!

Here is a really easy one pot meal (well two for the brown rice but I usually cook brown rice in rice cooker or oven).

INGREDIENTS:
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 cloves garlic (crushed/chopped)
1 medium onion (diced)
2 tablespoons curry powder
1 tablespoon Salt
1 cup small red lentils
3 cups water
2 bay leaves
1 cinnamon stick
1 400g tin tomatoes chopped
1/4 cup coconut milk
1 Lemon
440g Canned Pineapple Pieces (in natural juice)

This works best in a wok but a large sauce pan will work. Use oil to fry onion and garlic for 2 mins. Then drop in the pineapple until it slightly caramelizes and the onion is translucent. Add curry powder and salt and let stew for a few seconds before adding the lentils. Stir the lentils for about a min before adding the water. Add water, cinnamon and bay. Bring entire mixture to a boil and stir occasionally. Let simmer for 20 mins at which point you add the tomatoes and allow to cook at a simmer for 10 more mins. At this point the Dal should be able to pour but not soupy. Add the lemon juice and coconut milk and remove from heat. Serve over brown rice and top each serving with a slice of lemon.

All this talk about vegan cooking and I'm ready to head to the store for ideas...I'm thinking a vegan lasagna would be really good tonight!

I have made 2 kinds before... one with mushrroms, onions, , garlic, and peppers (green, red, yellow, and orange). saute mushrooms in some OO then add the rest to saute a bit... layer with the nooldles and with shredded mozzarella, sliced provolone,and sliced whole milk mozerella. I use fresh basil, oregano and thyme when I can.

The other is the same but uses zuchinin and yellow squash and onions.

Also - FYI another post - both soy beans and Quinoa are considered to be complete proteins.

I have made 2 kinds before... one with mushrroms, onions, , garlic, and peppers (green, red, yellow, and orange). saute mushrooms in some OO then add the rest to saute a bit... layer with the nooldles and with shredded mozzarella, sliced provolone,and sliced whole milk mozerella. I use fresh basil, oregano and thyme when I can.

The other is the same but uses zuchinin and yellow squash and onions.

Also - FYI another post - both soy beans and Quinoa are considered to be complete proteins.

I also layer a white sauce with shredded carrots...I'm also partial to thin sliced broccoli and spinach in my lasagna. So many good veggies, so little room in the pan.:LOL:

I also layer a white sauce with shredded carrots...I'm also partial to thin sliced broccoli and spinach in my lasagna. So many good veggies, so little room in the pan.:LOL:

I have tried broccoli but I didnt like the texture of it in the lasagana. O hadn't thought of spinach, which is silly since I use it in my stuffed shells.

I am looking forward to some Vegan recipes. 1) I am Orthodox and we fast from meat and dairy for 40 days before Easter. 2) I am trying to control my cholesterol by diet. My cholesterol is really high so I have to eat a vegan diet to control it. I have terrible side effects from the medicine.

I just made some chili with tvp which I use quite a bit.

I have tried broccoli but I didnt like the texture of it in the lasagana. O hadn't thought of spinach, which is silly since I use it in my stuffed shells.

Try just the tiny broccoli florets steeped in the white sauce and save the larger stem pieces for broccoli cheese soup. Okay, now I'm all hungry again...:pig:

I experimented with some zucchini and eggplant a few nights ago, and my meat-lover-husband LOVED what happened in the experiment! :) I haven't posted the recipe in my blog yet, but here's what I threw together:

Ingredients:

1 eggplant
3 zucchinis
3 cloves of garlic, minced/finely crushed and chopped
juice of 1 lemon
1/2 medium red onion
1/2 cup bulgur (medium grade. bulgur must be put into a bowl,and soaked in 1 cup warm water for about 1 hour, OR you can microwave it at 45 second intervals. It usually takes me 2- 45 second intervals to get it to the proper texture. Once soaked, drain the bulgur by taking small handfulls and squeezing out the water, and putting the squeezed bulgur in a seperate bowl.)
1/4 cup fresh basil, finely chopped
1/4 cup feta cheese (not vegetarian, but you can substitute this obviously for vegetarian cheeses....)
extra virgin olive oil (1 tbsp, and 2 tbsp.)
dash salt and pepper

Method:

-cut the eggplant in half, then slice each half into 1/4 inch slices.
-lay out in large bowl/plate in layers, sprinkling a dash of salt over each layer to soak up any oils from the eggplant.
-put a frying pan over medium heat, and cook the eggplant slices on each side for about 5-10 minutes (until golden brown and shrivled)
-set aside in a bowl/plate lined with paper towel.
-peel and slice zucchini into 1/4 inch slices.
-slice and chop the red onion.
-place the first tbsp of extra virgin olive oil into the pan, and cook the zucchini and onion with 1/2 of the lemon juice until the onion turns golden.
-in a seperate bowl, mix the cheese, basil, garlic, salt & pepper.
-pour the zucchini mixture into the bowl with the cheese, and stir well.
-add the bulgur, add the other 1/2 of the lemon juice, and stir well again.

To serve:
-line 2 bowls with the sliced eggplant.
-pour the zucchini bulgur mix into each bowl.
-garnish with some freshly chopped basil.
-enjoy! :)

One vegetable I love in a lasagne is zucchini, because it can be cut very thin length-wise and behaves well in a lasagne. Well-drained spinach is fantastic as well. My mom was a really good cook, but I always thought that I hated vegetable lasagne as a kid, because it seemed so watery. It looks like cutting the vegetables you include really thin length-wise is the trick.

Okay, so I am starting to exhaust the very small supply of recipes I've already written (I've posted 5 or 6 on these forums), and now I am at the point where I am ready to write some new recipes. I have a lot of ideas of my own, but am wondering if there were any special requests. "I've always wanted a recipe for vegan rack of lamb with mint jelly." "Hmmmm.... give me about 5 years and once I figure it out, I will start my own company, it will become a closely guarded business secret and I will send you to my online site to buy it..." Actually, I'd just like to test the waters to see what you guys are interested in.

My mom was a really good cook, but I always thought that I hated vegetable lasagne as a kid, because it seemed so watery. It looks like cutting the vegetables you include really thin length-wise is the trick.

I saute or roast those veggies with lots of water before putting them in my lasagna. Because there's nothing I like better than biting into a thick slice of portobello mushroom. And the carmelization you get from roasting adds another flavor dimension to the vegetable lasagna.

I always loved meatloaf and sheppards pie growing up...
I couldn't figure out how to get a similar texture to the meat in these dishes, but figured out that if you use kidney beans (cooked, or from the can, rinsed and drained) in the place of the meat, it turns out great! Especially when adding things like onion, tomato, spices, etc.

I actually made a "sheppards pie" style dish with kidney beans and spices (to taste) as the "meat", and instead of potatoes I used some cauliflower tossed in a lemon juice-e.v olive oil-mustard-cayenne pepper. You can even sprinkle it with some grated cheese in the last 5 minutes of baking, and it turns out so savoury..

There's really almost no limits with vegetables. ("Almost". lol...)
For that lamb idea, try getting different kidney bean/bulgur combinations.. bulgur holds things together pretty well, as do bread crumbs. Keep experimenting, you'll come up with a "faux lamb" in no time!

I always loved meatloaf and sheppards pie growing up...
I couldn't figure out how to get a similar texture to the meat in these dishes, but figured out that if you use kidney beans (cooked, or from the can, rinsed and drained) in the place of the meat, it turns out great! Especially when adding things like onion, tomato, spices, etc.
I often use bulgur to simulate the texture of ground beef.

good food is ok with me it doesnt matter if itis a vegan , veg or non veg

I often use bulgur to simulate the texture of ground beef.

For sure!!! I use bulgur in a lot of the dishes I make, that stuff is great! I was surprised to find that I can also make fruity dishes with it... That's one of my favourite grains! :) I will try that as a ground beef substitute in burgers, perhaps..

I just picked up some bulgur and I have a lot of green lentils. I think I am going to try making another lentil loaf this weekend!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom