Just Retired

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dippydiner

Assistant Cook
I have retired and my husband is still working. I like to cook, but prefer healthy low fat options for recipies with nutrition information. Have trouble passing up good desserts tho. Watching my food budget (go up!). Looking forward to the forum and hope that I have something to offer in return.
Recently made a "potato lasagna" that called for fresh fennel which I couldn't find. I live in Iowa. Where would I find this and is it as pungent as the spice fennel?
Dippydiner:pig:

Don't know about Fennel

But welcome Good to have you! Surely someone here knows about what you are looking for, lots of knowledgeable people around DC.:)

Last edited:
:)Welcome DD .Fresh Fennel can be hard to find sometimes but you could probably substitute some crushed fennel seeds instead.Personaly I dont care for fennel but then I dont like black licorice which is what it tastes like to me.

welcome dippy.

i think when you say "the spice fennel" you're referring to fennel seeds, either whole or ground. they taste very similar to a fresh bulb of fennel, but are usually much stronger in the licorice flavor, as jpmcgrew mentioned. sort of like how coriander seeds taste a lot like cilantro leaves.

you could use a little of them to get the fennel-ish flavor, and i'd add blanched celery to approximate the texture of the bulb.

hope this helps. :chef:

Fresh fennel bulbs may alternately be labled as Sweet Anise, but it's the same herb. They are grown in California, and are normally available from October until May.

It looks like this --->
23030634.jpg

Hi, dippydiner. Welcome to DC. Fresh fennel is difficult for me to find, too, in my rural area. It can be a taste that you either love or dislike. Although, I love the flavor fennel seed gives to Italian sausage and Italian sauces.

Hope you plan to stay with us and become part of our global family. We're glad you've found us.

Thanks to all for the welcome. Found buckytom and caine replies especially helpful. Will give the celery idea a try along with some crushed fennel seed.

Back
Top Bottom