Just saying hi

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shellys

Assistant Cook
I've been viewing several cooking/food forums and have a gut feeling about this one, seeing as how there are sub forums that are what my life is about.

I'm a 64 year old man living in beautiful Carmel Valley, CA. My current profession is as an edible landscape consultant/garden coach. I also was the owner/chef of a small restaurant (Shelly's Kitchen) in Carmel Valley, CA from 1975-1988. I grew most of the produce for it, also used my own chicken and duck eggs for baking and was the first non smoking restaurant in our county (and elsewhere?). There were no farmer markets back then so I grew every unusual and different colored flesh vegetable and fruit that I could find. At one time, we had 175 varieties of fruits growing here. Lots of work!!!

Used to spend lots of time with the California Rare Fruit Growers and the North American Fruit Explorers organizations.

Back in the day way back when, I was a crisis and family therapist but retired from that in the early 1970's to become one of the first househusbands, staying home to cook, clean and nurture our son. (That was also one marriage ago.) Lots of undeserved publicity in newspapers and magazines, including Time.

I cooked every day for my first family as well as my current one, which consists of me and my wife, Alice.

I still cook every day for Alice, and our friends as well as maintain my modest career teaching others how to grow and landscape with plants that produce food, how to preserve and use the food in the kitchen, and how to create outdoor rooms with fragrance, beauty and nibbles.

I have lots to say and, hopefully, learn from and contribute to the forums. I have been active on audio/video forums and, most recently, on a bbq forum, as I use 6 grills/smokers. Running out of room for more, though. :)

Unfortunately, I will be starting my fruit tree pruning season in two weeks (I prune about 1000 fruit trees a year) and may not have time and energy to be very active here until it ends in early March (but also may find being here daily as the refresher that I need.)

But I expect to start new threads and to get into lots of old ones and revive them, adding my $.02 for what its worth. I also like to post lots of photos so am looking forward to that as well.

Shelly

Hi Shelly! Welcome to the group! Add those 2 cents we are all here to learn!

Glad to have yoU!!

Welcome aboard, Shelly! Thanks for sharing some of your history with us - I hope to learn more about edible landscaping.

Sounds as if you quite the forward thinker! :)

Lee

Thanks for the warm welcome.

I thought that I was active in my bbq forum with more than 1000 posts but you folks with many thousands and tens of thousands of posts are the glue of the forum, for sure.

I posted elsewhere my technique for cold smoking salmon as well as my smokebox that I use.

Here's one of my menus from the restaurant. Yes, $8.50 for soup, salad with homemade dressing, homemade bread and choice of 8 entrees, vegetables and fruit. No dessert unless you ate all your vegetables, as it says. :) Ah the 1980's!!!!!

Shelly

Attachments

• Scan10001.jpg
    Scan10001.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 205
Hello Shelly,
I was hunting for a method to make home smoked Lox and found your post. Can you direct me to the page where you have pictures of your smoker and lox?
Thanks much,
MiGente

Back
Top Bottom