"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > New Member Introductions!

Old 06-10-2014, 08:03 PM   #11
Head Chef

Welcome Welcome Welcome ask anything,any time....

Old 06-10-2014, 09:17 PM   #12
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by salt and pepper View Post
Welcome Welcome Welcome ask anything,any time....

S&P.. What size is your underwear?????

Well you did say anything, any time.

Old 06-11-2014, 09:27 PM   #13
Assistant Cook

Thank you all for the warm welcome. I have been reading like crazy and would like to learn to make a meal that doesn't use powdered sauce packets, pre-made ingreients or frozen junk. I think we have enough of that in the last few years. We both have very busy lives....well...me not so much now. Wow...it takes a while to get used to retirement.
Anyway..we live in hicktown Manitoba and any kind of "real" shopping is around a half an hour away. So I really have to plan and that kind of spooks me out a bit.
Well, back to reading and planning my shopping list.
Old 06-11-2014, 09:42 PM   #14
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Hi Sharon. As Zagut said Arf! Arf!. That is welcome in barking dialect. Everyone here is an avid animal lover.
Oh and by the way Addie, my work dog, who retired five years ago is named Adelaide. We call her Addy for short. Small world eh.
Old 06-12-2014, 06:23 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharon B View Post
Oh and by the way Addie, my work dog, who retired five years ago is named Adelaide. We call her Addy for short. Small world eh.
My real name is Adele. But I have been call Adelaide on more than one occasion. A lot of folks think Adele is short for Adelaide.

Sharon, you will notice that the majority of the cooks here do so from scratch. Which means we usually buy fresh produce. Some of us make up our own rubs for meat, some use a prepared rub.

I personally use a jarred pasta sauce. It doesn't pay for me to make it from scratch as I live alone. But I do get a simple marinara sauce and doctor it up. For me, you can never have too much garlic. (My dating days are over.) I even add a few garlic cloves to the boiling water for potatoes. It gives the potatoes a nice soft garlic taste.

We are not against using packaged or prepared foods. We just prefer cooking from scratch if it is financially possible. Fresh veggies can be costly. I think we all try to keep celery, onions and carrots on hand. These three veggies for those of us in the northern hemisphere are used as the basis for flavor in a lot of dishes. Specially soup.

Hang in there and keep reading. You will find a lot of valuable information here.
Old 06-12-2014, 09:32 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Howdy!
Welcome to D.C.!

Hoot is offline   Reply With Quote

« Hello! | Hello! :) »