Learning how to cook, I love this site!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DunnoHow2Cook

Assistant Cook
Hello!

I'm a single woman in my 30's and I'm not a good cook. In fact, I'm a terrible cook. I've yet to turn on the stove since moving into my new home months ago. I'm tired of take-out, it's not good for my wallet or my thighs :pig:.

I stumbled onto this site and I love it!! I've learned so much in just half an hour of browsing here. You all seem to be extremely nice and helpful and I'd love to become a part of this community.:chef:

We would be happy to have you join us!

Welcome!! This is a great place!

What's the first thing that you want to learn?

Glad to have you, Dunno. Just dive in and start asking questions and, don't forget, the only stupid question is the one you don't ask.

You'll have fun and learn lots here, plus you'll gain countless new friends.

Cooking is not that difficult. For me it is very satisfying to make a large meal and have everyone like it.

I would find it difficult for me to have the drive to cook if I was alone. If you are just cooking for your self or a date then I would start with something like sandwiches, chicken breasts, or fish. All of those have good recipes that can be made in smaller batches. Soups, stews, and casseroles would make you lots of food that would most likely require you to freeze if you wanted to eat it all.

Pay attention to your cooking when you are cooking. Some meals are more forgiving than others.

I wish you luck in your quest to make delicious meals.

Welcome.

Welcome, DH2C, you'll get all the help you need here. Kind of like one-stop shopping.

JoeV

I'll take this time to step in and say Welcome, and disagree with D & S just a leeetle beeeet. I cook for myself and have no problem finding the drive, but then, I really love to eat :LOL: Plus it helps living in a little town where the take out is quite limited.
Don't let living alone slow you down from making something that catches your eye.

welcome, dunno. always good to see a fellow new yawkuh on board.

just so you know, there should be a sign under the banner that reads "abandon all hope of being skinny, ye who enter here".

I'll take this time to step in and say Welcome, and disagree with D & S just a leeetle beeeet. I cook for myself and have no problem finding the drive, but then, I really love to eat :LOL: Plus it helps living in a little town where the take out is quite limited.
Don't let living alone slow you down from making something that catches your eye.

Ditto... well except the little town thing.. just change that to "the hood"

Cooking for yourself can be very rewarding... more so than eating takeout and frozen dinners for sure... plus its always good to have the skills to impress on hand you never know when they may come in useful.

Welcome!!! and one helpful hint......clean up as you've finished using a utensil,pot or whatever, so you won't have a mess.....has stood me in good stead for many years.
p.s.....I make very tasty soups in the microwave.....then you can fill small containers and freeze them......

Thank you. I am overwhelmed by the positive responses. I will attempt to make baked ziti this weekend. I'll let you all know how it turns out!

Thank you. I am overwhelmed by the positive responses. I will attempt to make baked ziti this weekend. I'll let you all know how it turns out!

I make baked ziti all the time and here is how I do it -

box of ziti noodles
1 large jar of storebought marina (I use Muir Glenn)
2 C shredded moz cheese
1/2 C sour cream
fresh parm (about 1/4 cup?)
1/2 lb hamburger
1/2 lb Italian sausage
1 onion, chopped
1-2 garlic cloves, minced

Preheat oven to 375.
Boil water and cook about 1/2 the package of ziti noodles (from a one lb. box)
In a large saucepan, brown the hamburger and sausage, about halfway through cooking add the onion, continue to cook until the onion looks done - drain grease and add chopped garlic. Stir well. Add marinara and simmer on low for 5 - 10 minutes.

Once pasta is done, drain well.

Spray your baking dish with Pam spray - I use a deep oval shaped casserole pan, but any pan with deep sides will do.

In the bottom of the pam, ladle about 1 cup of the sauce. Place half of the ziti noodles on top of the sauce. Sprinkle half of of the moz cheese onto the noodles and then smear all of the sour cream on. Place about half of the remaining the sauce ontop of this. Then add the remaining noodles, top with remaining sauce and sprinkle with all of the remaining moz cheese and parm cheese.
Cover and bake at 375 for 30 minutes or until hot and bubbly looking.

Makes enough for 6 generous servings.

Welcome!
You have joined a group of knowlegable people, always ready to help, and not just with cooking questions. You will soon feel like you know really are friends. I even try to put faces to the names. There are some really attractive folks around here.

Back
Top Bottom