"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > New Member Introductions!

Old 10-27-2013, 08:18 PM   #1
Cook

Red face Let The Vetting Begin...

Hello there. I'm Carl, Cat's friend from college. She invited me to join here and I finally made it! Y'all won't believe what happened to me last night, but here goes...

First, Cat actually calls ME! She sounded so bubbly and happy I thought maybe her mom and her aunt gave her permission to date me.

NOT!

She invites me to join. That's what she was so happy about! So, I'm trying to get the laptop tether to my phone to work, she's barking orders on how to find this forum, what to do, and I've just barely gotten online when she says, "Are you in the website yet?"

Geez! I'm like, "Geez, Cat, give me a minute, willya?" So she laughs at me and says, "Oh, you boys are so slow of things!" (She really talks funny, and we love it!) I finally pull up the website, try to join, and she's gone off in another fourteen directions of who's who, who does what, blah, blah blah, and I totally screw up my first application. I wait for the email and it doesn't come. Cat's really wound up by this time, so she tells me to try again. Obviously, I did.

This time, she's reading some posts to me as I am trying to spell my email address correctly (for the third time) and something totally got her attention. Somebody used the word "vet," like in "vetting" a political candidate. She sounded like she hit a wall. She goes, "What is this vet? I do not know of this. I vet my dog and cats, yes? Do they think you are an animal? I do not know of this. This is very odd."

Y'all probably won't believe this, but it's so like Cat to do that when she gets whacked by something she doesn't know. After I stopped laughing, I explain what's meant by the word (verb) "vet." She goes, "Well, so. You must be very much of yourself, so they will approve of you for me."

I promise I'll behave, and finally I get in. By then, with Cat going off on another tangent about seeing her aunt kissing her boyfriend and how gross that was, I am really tired and I promise her I'd post my intro tonight.

So, here I am. I'm really glad to have something to share with Cat. I like to cook, and I've had some tastes of Cat's cooking. She's an awesome cook. We're not really dating but her aunt and her mom said they'd let me come over, so that's a start. So, that's where we're at now.

Carl

Old 10-27-2013, 08:23 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Aww. Welcome Carl! Yes, our Cat can be a handful, but we love her anyway!

So glad you were able to join us! If you have any questions, please feel free to ask, we're a really nice bunch here!

Old 10-27-2013, 08:29 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
What Dawg said, plus 1!

We're so happy to have you with us and, you've garnered some points with us with your great sense of humor.

Hang out with us and learn what a nice place this and how much we care about our dear Cat!

Come on down and join in the fun!!!
Old 10-27-2013, 09:21 PM   #4
Cook

Thanks! I've seen some posts. My mom met Cat once, and she likes her.

You're right about liking Cat. She's a little different but she has her own ways and that's pretty cool!

I'm here to join in. My cooking question is why when I microwave anything with bread on it, like sausage biscuits or defrosting bread, why do I have tough spots?

I follow the directions, but it still ends up with tough places. Any ideas?

Carl
Old 10-27-2013, 09:41 PM   #5
Certified Pretend Chef

Hi Carl. Bread gets dry and hard when it's microwaved too much. Microwaves tend to have hot spots and those are where the problems occur.

If you want to defrost bread slices, moisten a paper towel and wring it out as much as possible. Wrap the bread and microwave it for 15-20 seconds. Times will vary with the power of the microwave.
Old 10-27-2013, 10:46 PM   #6
Cook

Ok, thanks. I'll try that.

Carl
Old 10-27-2013, 10:51 PM   #7
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Hello Carl and welcome to DC!

May I ask where in the US you are from? I live in Montana. Take care of our Cat, we kinda like her a bit, even if she has a problem with vampires and farts.

Oh, and remember I am an Ogress and not nice at all...
Old 10-27-2013, 11:55 PM   #8
Cook

I'm from Tupelo, Mississippi. Cat said I could be honest here, so I was sent off to college here because I didn't like my mom's new boyfriend. He's a jerk, and Cat listens to me when I get PO'ed with him.

I'd like to take care of Cat if she'd let me, but she's kinda independent. So, I just support her. I watch out for her and her car on campus when she's there.

I'll remember you're an ogress. I'm not here to hurt Cat. I'm here to share this forum she talks about all the time and I like to cook. I don't get many opportunities to cook but now that I'm allowed to see her at home, the plan is to help me learn more about cooking.

I've been reading a lot of Cat's posts. She opens up to y'all. I didn't know about most of the stuff she posted.

Vampires? I'm sure she's used to them. From what I understand, her family home is close to Dracula's castle. She thinks farting is the funniest thing people do.

Aren't you the one who calls your husband "Shrek?" Yep, I recall that. Cat told me.

I won't make the Ogress mad.

Carl
Old 10-27-2013, 11:55 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Welcome Carl.
Old 10-27-2013, 11:59 PM   #10
Cook

Thank you.

Carl