"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > New Member Introductions!

Old 05-22-2016, 09:13 AM   #11
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Turned the family underwear pink, including his dear wife's expensive bras.
Well I am not Rick, but I do feel his pain. I did that myself.

See most guys can just roll into any Marshalls and buy underwear off the 'slightly used maybe defective' rack. I found out in the laundry fiasco, that one does not want to interfere with a woman's favorite bra. They are not like other pieces of clothing.

Old 05-26-2016, 08:16 PM   #12
Senior Cook

Himself has good ideas

Himself, who does only grilling and reheating in this house, is hooked on videos by James Townsend and Son. His business is basically supplying historical reenactors with the goods they need to carry on, but he has hundreds of cooking videos on Youtube.[/QUOTE]

Good videos. Figuring out how to cook an old recipe is difficult as they don't give you nice stuff like, well, measurements, techniques, temperatures, or times. It takes an understanding of kind of what they were after?

I posted somewhere here in joking about my grandmother's cooking, as she tended to freeze meat as soon as she got it, thaw it, boil it in salt, and serve it with potatoes and cabbage. But that was how one cooked in the blitz in London, 'cause you didn't know if you would have a kitchen.

Re eanactors can be an interesting bunch, I know a bunch of SCA and Civil War types, in fact I make a lot of hardtack every year for the Gettysburg meet.

Really to be honest, people in the past ate shite. But there are some awesome recipes that have been lost. Check out Dariana Allen's Forgotten Secrets of Cookery for instance.

I mean we don't eat some of the parts of animals that were considered delicacies, in the past, because ideas have changed, how messed up is that?

Cheers!

TBS

Old 05-27-2016, 12:31 AM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

I have a paperback book put out by The Farmer's Almanac published in 1986. It is call Colonial Cookbook. In it are several recipes that James Townsend has on his site. One that caught my eye was Indian Pudding. Every Friday when I was in the third and fourth grade, it was on the menu. I tried it once and immediately spit it out. I have no desire to ever try it again.

Between the recipes the colonists brought to this country with them, and what the Native Americans taught them using the natural wild foods available, the early colonists ate pretty well.
Old 05-27-2016, 12:48 AM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Everyone just loves to hear about how you spit out your food Enough already.
Old 05-27-2016, 02:21 PM   #15
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I have a paperback book put out by The Farmer's Almanac published in 1986. It is call Colonial Cookbook. In it are several recipes that James Townsend has on his site. One that caught my eye was Indian Pudding. Every Friday when I was in the third and fourth grade, it was on the menu. I tried it once and immediately spit it out. I have no desire to ever try it again.
James Towndsend is a good reenactor. He is well known in that community. It both doesn't surprise me either that it wasn't right to modern taste, nor that a elementary school kitchen didn't execute it properly. (hate to say it, they probably just put the name on something they were turning out anyway)
Old 05-27-2016, 03:59 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by erehweslefox View Post
Let's get Medieval!
That's a quote from Tomas Torquemada, right?
Old 05-27-2016, 05:13 PM   #17
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Loin_of_Beef View Post
That's a quote from Tomas Torquemada, right?
Only when applied to a cut of beef.