Live to Eat!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

che'mark

Assistant Cook
Food is our greatest art. From the music of the pots and pans, the clatter of knives, and the sizzle of food on the stove to the smells arising from roasting meats and simmering stocks. The beauty of a perfectly planned and cooked meal carefully plated and presented for the best visual effect. The texture and flavors finally rounding out a work of art that pleases all the senses at once.
I'm not going to brag about my skill as a cook because I know there are those among you far better than I will ever be. I'm a woodworker by trade, a stair builder. But once I'm home I become Che'Mark! I'm all about better tasting food. Sometimes it costs more but on many things I will not compromise. Sometimes it costs less, I'm not fooled by television adds. I don't even have a TV, I'd rather spend that time in the kitchen toying with recipes and practicing dishes I plan to serve guests in the future. Oh, and I waste a lot of time here at the computer seeking out new recipes and talking about food with anyone who will stop and chat about European Cheeses, Brown eggs vs. white and which recipe is the best. I'm located in Florida but have been doing a lot of recipes from the UK lately. Tonight I will be making a Bakewell Pudding for the first time. A simple, elegant and (hopefully) delicious dessert that dates back to medieval times. If anyone has tips or tricks on this or a favorite recipe please offer it up.

bon appetit
Che'Mark

Everyone knows the only difference between brown eggs and white is the color :LOL:

Welcome.

Technically probably true, my overall experience with eggs has been that the worst eggs I've ever had were white and the best were brown. Maybe it's all farmer and maybe it's all chicken. I occcasionally question what 'everybody' knows.
Thank you folks for the welcome!;)

Speaking of eggs, what about that Bakewell Pudding? Have you got a favorite recipe? Have you ever heard of it? I certainly hadn't. I'm going to just pick a random recipe from the internet and see what happens.
What ever I do it's gonna start with a Pillsbury pie crust and it's gonna get a lot of brown eggs in it. Somebody gave me almonds sweeetened like praline pecans for christmas and I will grind those for it. Er...what's caster sugar?

Welcome to DC.

I have no recipe for the Bakewell pudding, but I have a few for it's cousin the Bakewell Tart, actually gathered when I was in Bakewell, not to far out of Sheffield.

I've yet to figure out exactly what the difference is, some of the recipes I saw called themselves 'Pudding or Tort' but I was told that there was indeed a difference and it's the pudding the lady has put me up to making. I'm off to the kitchen now to break some eggs.

It's like a Kodak moment when this thing comes out of the oven! All puffed up and golden brown. The egg and almond mix was somewhat drier than I imagined it would be and not quite as sweet. I'd probably be run out of Bakewell for the mess I just made of this fine old recipe. It was beautiful and delicious though and since nobody I know has any idea what it's supposed to be like I think I will be able to add it to the dessert menu.

I spoke to my English friend last night and she tells me that the difference is in the crust. A shortcrust makes it a Tart and a Puff Pastry makes it a pudding. Recipe I looked at wanted 4 hours to make the puff pastry from scratch, a good book was one of the ingredients for the waiting time while the dough chills between layers or whatever is involved. Is there a frozen version that would line a little 7 inch pie plate? I seldom go into that part of the store but will look around today while I'm marketing.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom