Living in Fast Forward

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BigDog

Head Chef
Okay, so I'm not exactly new here, but it's been a while. The last time I was here (other then the few times over the last couple days) was I don't know when, probably a year ago? Maybe more? Why so long? Time, or more pointedly, the lack thereof.

So, what in the world has been occupying my time? Where do I start?

First, the job. 9-1-1 is a busy call center, even busier in the largest city in the state, Minneapolis. Last year we handled over 400,000 incidents (not calls) for police service. That does not include incidents for Fire and/or EMS. We answered about 1.5 million calls last year. That's averages to 4,110 calls per day, and averages to 171 calls per hour, with an average of 6 or 7 people answering. Also, along with the job bit, is the mandatory overtime. I was "held" over 9 times in the month of May. It would have been more except they have policy against that!

Second, as alluded to in another topic re: pets, we had to put our oldest cat down because she got FIP, which is 100% fatal. That was an emotional roller coaster, particularly because it was so sudden.

Third, we were researching and looking into a business opportunity for DW. As it were, it was a lot of work all for naught, as it turns out the venture did not pan out. I guess it's not all for naught, because we wouldn't have known if we didn't check it out.

Fourth, this year we had to suck it up and get a new car. Yes, this is a good thing, but when you've been living with no car payments, it's sometimes difficult to see where that payment is coming from. We "traded" my 1994 Mercury Grand Marquis gas hog that needed a lot of work for a 2006 Chevy Malibu. Much improved.

Fifth, we also decided rent was getting too high, we had nothing to show for it, and bought a townhouse. We got a great deal, and from a repair standpoint (it was a foreclosure, as most are at least here in MN that were in our price range) some cleaning, minor wall patching, and paint is all that is needed. We're about half done with the paint and wall cleaning. There are other items we'd like to do, but they aren't priorities, and since we haven't found the money tree, they'll get done in due time.

Sixth, we decided to get a new kitten. The cat that remained after we put the oldest down was seeming to long for feline companionship. Now she longs for (as do DW and I) the kitten getting her distemper shot (very soon based on age) and spayed/declawed (front only). DW and I have battle scars for our sweet furry little one, and I've had to referee a few matches amongst the feline species as well.

Seventh, last but not least, I am attempting to promote - I tested for dispatch and passed, and will be interviewing next week supposedly. I've all but thrown out my desire to be a cop (I have one application out). I'm still pursuing a culinary venture as well but as previously mentioned, I haven't found the money tree yet. I kind of have to get going there because one of my coworkers wants me to cook for his wife's birthday party hosting 100 or so people.

Wow. That's a lot, and longer then I expected. I do hope to participate more here. I know I said that before, and probably now that I said it again it won't happen, but I'll try.

Now I'm off to make brunch and watch the Steve Wilkos show.

BigDog... I remember you from when I first joined. Sounds like a whril wind of stuff going on there! Glad to hear you are well and living life as they say! Sorry about your kitty, and congrats on the new one.

Welcome back BigDog!!!

Thanks, guys. I missed the fun and friendship here as well.

Now I must go, because Mittens, our new kitten, lovingly referred to as The Tiny Terror or T3, seems to think fingers typing on the keyboard are better served being attacked and chewed on by kittens!

Welcome back, BigDog! Congratulations on you new kitten, townhouse, and car!

Thanks for sharing your life with us!

(nice avatar! ;))

Lee

Good to see you BigDog!!!!!!!! You have been busy! Drop by every now and then and just say hi. Keep us informed for all work changes and chewed up furniture!

Life in a fast lane, eh Bill? I have also been rather scarce around here but it's nice to come back and catch up now and then, isn't it. My best wishes to you and your family with all the stuff you guys are going through... fond greetings to your kitties, too, from me and Oliver:)

Thanks all. So far so good in being here a bit more, but only time will tell. Nice to see lots of names active that I don't recognize!

Back
Top Bottom