"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > New Member Introductions!

Old 08-26-2008, 05:15 PM   #1
Cook

Looking forward to great cooking fun.

hi to all. i am a medium skill cook in tampa fl. i was often told that i should persue a career in cooking but i feel that i would enjoy it less if cooking were my job. after working on the service and floor side of a number of fine dining resturants and seeing the chefs go into rage mode often, i felt that cooking for friends and family was my best choice. anyone else out there feel the same?

p.s. i have huge respect for chefs at all levels of cusine.

Old 08-26-2008, 05:23 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Welcome to DC....Make yourself at home!

Have Fun!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 05:38 PM   #3
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by sichuan dingdong View Post
hi to all. i am a medium skill cook in tampa fl. i was often told that i should persue a career in cooking but i feel that i would enjoy it less if cooking were my job. after working on the service and floor side of a number of fine dining resturants and seeing the chefs go into rage mode often, i felt that cooking for friends and family was my best choice. anyone else out there feel the same?

p.s. i have huge respect for chefs at all levels of cusine.
If only I could go back to my twenties again. A cooking carreer would be my dream (of course with my current knowledge). I would take a course in cullinary arts from a prestigeous cooking school, then take a teaching course, and become a cooking teacher, or proffesor of culinary arts. That way I could be creative, share my love for cooking, and teach others, all at the same time. Plus, I'd get summers off.
What more could a guy ask for in a job?

Welcome to DC. Whether you aspire to become a proffesional chef, or just the chef of your own kitchen, there are a great many here who can help you learn anything you could ever want to know, about nearly any subject. Of course, the advise ranges from sage to silly, depending on who's giving it, what the question is, and the mood of the person giving it. But it's never boring, always freindly, and always will give you something valuable to walk away with. There's a great group of people here. Enjoy.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 12:31 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Welcome!!!!! I've seen that rage you speak of - I like my mild-mannered home kitchen

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 01:33 AM   #5
Cook

people here are wise kind and care about making good food. if you are new here like me keep posting, learn, love and eat well.
Old 08-27-2008, 09:22 AM   #6
Chief Eating Officer

Welcome to the site. I feel the same as you although I have never worked in that setting so have not seen the rage first hand. As a hobby I love it. As a job I think it would lose its charm very quickly.
Old 08-27-2008, 12:01 PM   #7
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
Welcome to DC!

Having been in professional kitchens for 16 years now, I have seen more ten my share of NON professionals, and it is all part of the bizz...how ever, not all places are like that. The sense of urgency is always there, but if you treat people well, they work well for you.
Old 08-28-2008, 11:10 AM   #8
Sous Chef

Hi and welcome to DC!! I'm in the same boat (only much older) I got interested in cooking a few years ago (thanks food network!!) and I enjoy it,an am told that I have a knack for it. However, I do it on my terms-that is to say what I want and when I want.

Like anything else there is a huge difference between a hobbyist and a professional, and I am always amazed at the knowledge, skill and creativity that the pros possess. It is truly an art form.

Luckily, we have DC!! People here (pros and amateurs alike) are always willing to help out. If you ask, someone here knows and will help you out.

Once again, welcome!! We're glad your here
Old 08-28-2008, 11:13 AM   #9
Master Chef

Welcome to DC! (Love the avatar by the way!) Pull up a chair and make yourself at home as Uncle Bob would put it!