Marmalade without soaking in water?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

awarsha

Assistant Cook
is it absolutely necessary to soak oranges or other citrus fruit for such long periods (24hrs - 2 days) in water in order to cook them as marmelade?
I have ordinary lemons and oranges, not seville ones, and want to make a dark chewy bitter marmelade, quickly if possible.
why is this long soaking and water changing recommended so often in most marmelade recipes:rolleyes::ermm:

Welcome to DC!!

Here's a microwave recipe for marmalade (untried). Makes 3 cups (metric = 250mL)

3 large oranges
1 lemon
water
3 cups sugar, warmed

Wash and cut the fruit in half, then juice, reserving skins. Measure juice into a jug and top up juice with water until you have 3 cups of liquid. Cut the rind into very fine strips and place in a 4 litre microwave safe dish. Pour juice/water mixture into dish with rind. Cover and cook on high for 20 to 25 mins (based on 750W oven). Place sugar into a 2 litre dish and cook on high for 60 to 90 secs before adding the sugar to the marmalade. Stir well, then return to microwave on medium-high for 30 mins or until marmalade has set. Pour into sterilised jars and seal.

This recipe doesn't mention removing pith but I wouldn't leave too much pith on the rind as it can make it bitter.

HTH

thanks

I'd certainly try it out but my microwave oven cranked out 2 weeks ago and the lemons just came off my tree and are waiting.I'll use it next time.:cool:
About the pith - I tasted a thick chunky chewy dark brown marmelade recently, the pith was the source of all the fun. thanks a lot though for being the first to welcome me in. Rivka:chef:

I'll have another look for a stove top method and see if I can find something quicker. While it is years since I watched my mother cooking marmalade, I really don't recall it taking two days, but I could be wrong. I'll post again if I come up with anything.

Back
Top Bottom