"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > New Member Introductions!
Old 01-17-2008, 06:57 PM   #1
Assistant Cook
Smile Merle H

I live in Christchurch New Zealand and have recently retired at the age of 72 as a PA to a construction firm. Been married for 50 years and we had a family of 5 daughters. I made a recipe book of old tried and true recipes for each of my daughters and granddaughters and was truly amzed at the re-action from them all. They loved it. It was a book of good nourishing recipes for a family. With so many TV type dinners on sale a lot of young people do not seem to know the basics. One remark I treasure was from a teen-aged grandson who told his Mum that Gran made spaghetti Bolonaise without buying a bottle of 5 brothers!.
Would like to hear from people who have old family recipes from other parts of the world.
Cheers Merle

Merle H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 07:10 PM   #2
Executive Chef
Welcome Merle,I dont have old family recipes but others here do. I think you will like it here. Alot of good things happen here.

"It's so beautifully arranged on the plate - you know someone's fingers have been all over it." - Julia Child
jpmcgrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 07:11 PM   #3
Sous Chef
Well, as I don't have a family, I don't have any secret recipes to share. In any case, I just wanted to welcome you to DC!
If you ate pasta and antipasto, would you still be hungry? ~Author Unknown
jeninga75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 07:20 AM   #4
Executive Chef
Welcome to DC Merle! When I left home, I just raided mum's recipe cards and wrote out the recipes that I liked or meant something to me. Unfortunately, mum tells me (some ten years later I might add) that some of those recipes weren't the ones she actually used, and even worse, when I have gone to make a couple I have discovered that they don't actually have all the details and that some of them acted more as memory joggers for her!!!! So, as I had more cook books than she did by the time I left, I just look for new recipes!!
Too many restaurants, not enough time...
Bilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 07:23 AM   #5
Executive Chef
Welcome to DC, Merle. Congrats on your retirement, and I hope you post some of those family favourites!
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
Loprraine is offline   Reply With Quote