"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > New Member Introductions!

Old 10-25-2007, 02:24 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Motown Newbie

Hello everyone --

I thought I might get by just lurking in the background, just browsing, reading here and there...

Thing is, though, I broke in my new Kenmore gas range with an apple crisp/crumble, using tips posted mainly on this site, and it came out so good -- really, considering how little baking I've done, it was quite the lovely dish -- that I decided I better become a bit more active here. More interactive, I should say, in the interest of learning much more. Can't live on crumble alone.

So here I am, ready to sop up the wisdom from all you experienced cooks, and ready as well to comment when it seems appropriate.

Now, if I can just make up my mind about whether I really do need a food processor...

Old 10-25-2007, 02:28 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Welcome to DC robgrave.....Glad you decided to join our merry band!

Join in & Have Fun!!!!!!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 02:57 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Hi, robgrave. Welcome to DC. Glad your crumble turned out so well. Stick around with us and you'll have many, many more successes. This is a great place for learning and enjoying great company. We're glad you've found us.
Old 10-25-2007, 03:09 PM   #4
Chief Eating Officer

I am glad you decided to jump in! You will get a lot more out of the site now that you are even more active.

qas for a food processor. I have one and love it. I use it about 4 times a year. There is nothing that I use it for that I could not use other tools to do, but I am happy I have it those 4 times a year.
Old 10-25-2007, 03:26 PM   #5
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
...qas for a food processor. I have one and love it. I use it about 4 times a year. There is nothing that I use it for that I could not use other tools to do, but I am happy I have it those 4 times a year.
OK, GB, you can see where I'm comin' from, I guess. When you've learned to make do without a processor for so long, it hardly seems like an essential. But they do sound like something worth trying, and who knows, it may become as useful to me as my microwave (which I also once wondered whether I needed). Thanks for the encouragement.
Old 10-25-2007, 07:42 PM   #6
Head Chef

Hello robgrave - I too have wondered if I need a food processor - but so far I've decided to do it the old fashioned way. Only once have I seriously thought about a purchase - when I was chopping endless parsley for Tabbouleh but I survived and so did the salad. Enough said.
Oh - glad to have you here - let us know how you like your processor.
Old 10-25-2007, 08:47 PM   #7
Assistant Cook

How much I like it, DaveC, will probably come down to how convenient it is for cleaning. Chopping with a chef's knife may be time-consuming -- especially when skill levels are minimal -- but washing up the knife and board is quick and easy. I'm hoping the KitchenAid 7 cup I've got on order will not be too much of a bother in that regard. It will prove to be entertaining, in any case, at least for a while.
Old 10-28-2007, 10:18 AM   #8
Assistant Cook

So far, so good with my new KitchenAid 7 Cup (talk about fast processing, it arrived at my door less than 48 hours after ordering online from JCPenney).

A solid piece of work, this unit. Once you get the hang of fastening/unfastening the workbowl and lid cover, it is a cinch to use, and cleaning, so far at least, appears to be no problem. I may change my mind about that, however, if I get around to processing more liquid foods. The lower part of the workbowl handle, where the bowl fastens to the base, does make it possible for more liquid stuff to run up into the handle, making manual cleaning almost impossible (or so I've read).

But for now, I'm happy with it. Shredded some cabbage, made a tuna salad in the mini-bowl, and today I'll give it a veggie slicing workout. Smooth, quiet, and counter-top friendly -- heavy enough to stay put, light enough to move around, and small enough to stay out of the way. Good purchase, I'd say. Thanks again to GB for nudging me into buying it
Old 10-28-2007, 10:58 AM   #9
Chief Eating Officer

My pleasure. I am glad it has been a success so far.
Old 10-28-2007, 02:38 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by robgrave View Post
So far, so good with my new KitchenAid 7 Cup (talk about fast processing, it arrived at my door less than 48 hours after ordering online from JCPenney).

A solid piece of work, this unit. Once you get the hang of fastening/unfastening the workbowl and lid cover, it is a cinch to use, and cleaning, so far at least, appears to be no problem. I may change my mind about that, however, if I get around to processing more liquid foods. The lower part of the workbowl handle, where the bowl fastens to the base, does make it possible for more liquid stuff to run up into the handle, making manual cleaning almost impossible (or so I've read).

But for now, I'm happy with it. Shredded some cabbage, made a tuna salad in the mini-bowl, and today I'll give it a veggie slicing workout. Smooth, quiet, and counter-top friendly -- heavy enough to stay put, light enough to move around, and small enough to stay out of the way. Good purchase, I'd say. Thanks again to GB for nudging me into buying it
Hey, Rob, welcome to DC

I couldn't live without my food processor - that's just a little bit of an exaggeration. We love pesto and grow several basil plants during the summer - I just froze about 6 cups of it and made it all in the food processor. I also use it for shredding cucumbers for tzatziki and carrots for several kinds of salads, making salsa, and finely chopping mire poix. That's all I can think of right off the top of my head

For very liquid recipes, I use my blender. It seems better suited, since it's so tall. HTH.