Mr Hot Curry Lover Here :D

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HotCurries

Assistant Cook
Hey peeps,

Just registered, found this place from a friend. I got to much time on my hands with serious case of the flu so thought I'd register.

I'm J, from the UK. I love to cook hot Indian curries. I also like cooking traditional English food and some Chinese.

I've actually been looking for oriental and foreign dishes that are cooked by tribes such as Miao, Han and Mexican civilisations like Mayas etc. I'm probably crazy lol, but I love challenges and love to try new foods.

Anywhooo I'll probably see you all around the forum. No doubt I'll be asking lots of questions and try to answer as many as possible.

It has to be the sunday roast. A nice joint of beef coated in honey and mustard with fluffy buttery potato and carrot mash, green beans, a yorkshire pud with a nice red wine sauce.

I also like corn beef hash, shepards pie with crispy melted cheese on top, gammon with apple, pineapple and of course the egg :p

Far to many to list.

Also, Please give us your Recipe for English Hot Curry!..

oh, wait , I think you have a link on your post..

If you want Texas American Mexican recipes.. I will gladly share!

Eric, Austin Tx.

Hey peeps,

Just registered, found this place from a friend. I got to much time on my hands with serious case of the flu so thought I'd register.

I'm J, from the UK. I love to cook hot Indian curries. I also like cooking traditional English food and some Chinese.

I've actually been looking for oriental and foreign dishes that are cooked by tribes such as Miao, Han and Mexican civilisations like Mayas etc. I'm probably crazy lol, but I love challenges and love to try new foods

Anywhooo I'll probably see you all around the forum. No doubt I'll be asking lots of questions and try to answer as many as possible.

Welcome to DC.
Hope your Flu gets better soon.

Josie

Also, Please give us your Recipe for English Hot Curry!..

oh, wait , I think you have a link on your post..

If you want Texas American Mexican recipes.. I will gladly share!

Eric, Austin Tx.

Yeah sure, send some my way :D Something HOT! and very spicy. I love anything with lots of spice.

Hi and welcome to DC.

Is that guy that ate the hot pepper in the video you? It's beyond me why anyone chooses to be in such pain with food.....to each his own though. :dizzy:

Hi and welcome to DC.

Is that guy that ate the hot pepper in the video you? It's beyond me why anyone chooses to be in such pain with food.....to each his own though. :dizzy:

No, not me. I put it up to demonstrate how hot the Bhut Jolokia is. I do use the Bhut Jolokia in my dishes though. The recipe I put up is one of the common ones I cook, but I do cook other dishes with the Bhut Jolokia, I'll put up more soon.

The only thing that lets the recipe down is using the pre made paste, but it saves a lot of time. You get some real nice flavours using a Madras paste too.

I believe a lot of restaurants use a pre made paste. I'd love to know what Brick Lane uses in their Phals because they claim to use 30 or so different chilli's.

Even people in India don't really cook with the ghost pepper, the brave souls who enjoy it take nibbles of it while they eat their curries. I grow them, and also love hot food and make curry several times a week, but your recipe calls for way too much heat for my tastes. I can't imagine anyone being able to eat that comfortably...

Even people in India don't really cook with the ghost pepper, the brave souls who enjoy it take nibbles of it while they eat their curries. I grow them, and also love hot food and make curry several times a week, but your recipe calls for way too much heat for my tastes. I can't imagine anyone being able to eat that comfortably...

I've never really thought about growing them. What conditions are needed to grow them at home? I'm in the UK.

When I first started making curries a Madras was hot to me. I slowly moved to a Vindaloo and once I got comfortable eating that I moved to a Phal. When I cooked them at home I could never get them hot. It wasn't until I spoke to a few Indians at university that I started experimenting with hotter chillies.

My mouth is used to the heat now. A good Phal still makes me sweat when they are made properly (only 1 restaurant I know that makes a decent one). And the curry in the recipe always gets me going, but I enjoy eating it. Most people wouldn't eat a teaspoon from it. It's a quick and easy recipe as opposed to some of the complex ones that exist.

We have a 4 year old that accidentally dipped his finger in a bowl not knowing what it was. He was in tears :(

The morning after is a problem though. I can't eat it on a week day unless I want to call in sick at work the next morning.

Last edited:
I think Timothy grows the hot stuff too.

Last edited:
I've never really thought about growing them. What conditions are needed to grow them at home? I'm in the UK.

When I first started making curries a Madras was hot to me. I slowly moved to a Vindaloo and once I got comfortable eating that I moved to a Phal. When I cooked them at home I could never get them hot. It wasn't until I spoke to a few Indians at university that I started experimenting with hotter chillies.

My mouth is used to the heat now. A good Phal still makes me sweat when they are made properly (only 1 restaurant I know that makes a decent one). And the curry in the recipe always gets me going, but I enjoy eating it. Most people wouldn't eat a teaspoon from it. It's a quick and easy recipe as opposed to some of the complex ones that exist.

We have a 4 year old that accidentally dipped his finger in a bowl not knowing what it was. He was in tears :(

The morning after is a problem though. I can't eat it on a week day unless I want to call in sick at work the next morning.
I grow chilies in the UK.For a few months the infinity chili grown in Grantham Lincs was the hottest in the world with a scoville rating of 1,176182 the trinidad scorpion butch t is the hottest at present with a sco of 1,465700.
Garam means heat Marsala means spice, Garam Marsala does not have chili in it, black pepper is added to create the heat.
To understand the "local" UK Indian Restaurant method of cooking "curries" ie brick lane ect you must use the batch cooking technique.
The Phal is unique to the UK.
I love to cook a good ruby on friday night, but better still is eating the left overs for brekkie the next day.;)
Hope you get rid of the bug soon my wife and I have had it for about 5 days.
Hot C.Where do you live in the UK.:)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom