My first post, a quick question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

intensecooking

Assistant Cook
I'm a passionate foodie who just recently discovered this space. I've been on opening teams for a couple restaurants in Manhattan and I was wondering, what do people think is the next best city for foodies after Manhattan? Or maybe someone thinks another city is better than Manhattan? Let me know.

By the way, if you have a second, please check out my new cooking resource <link removed>. I'm very open to recommendations and criticism about it. Thanks and happy fooding!

Last edited by a moderator:
intensecooking said:
I'm a passionate foodie who just recently discovered this space. I've been on opening teams for a couple restaurants in Manhattan and I was wondering, what do people think is the next best city for foodies after Manhattan? Or maybe someone thinks another city is better than Manhattan? Let me know.

By the way, if you have a second, please check out my new cooking resource <link removed>. I'm very open to recommendations and criticism about it. Thanks and happy fooding!

If this is not a bot, then San Francisco or Miami would be two places.

obviously, people from various regions will no doubt have their ideas based on likes and dislikes, but assuming you mean within the USA, I'd second San Francisco. (However, Chicago, LA, Seattle, DC, Boston, Dallas, Austin, Miami, Philly, Phoenix/Scottsdale, etc etc etc all have so much to offer.)

If you ever get a chance to come Downunder, Melbourne is the go. It's not my city I live in the bush), but St Kilda Rd has some magnificent restaurants. :)

definitely not a bot...

don't worry, no bots here

so for all y'all who replied, what are some of the big restaurant names and owners that i should check out? in manhattan, we have drew nieporent who opened nobu, danny meyer, who opened eleven madison park, steve hanson who opened fiamma osteria, and laurent tourendel who opened the BLT group.

San Francisco:

Gary Danko - Gary Danko's
Hubert Keller - Fleur de Lys
Thomas Keller - The French Laundry
Traci des Jardins - Jardiniere
Alice Waters - Chez Pannise
Bradley Ogden - One Market and Lark Creek Inn
Ron Siegel - The Dinning Room at The Ritz Carlton

In Manhattan, I would say Eric Ripert of Le Bernardin, Daniel Boloud of Restaurant Daniel, Thomas Keller of Per Se, Marcus Samuelsson of Aquavit, and Charlie Palmer of Aureole are the top 5 chefs.

If you're talking about pure diversity, then Miami. If you're talking instead about top Chef's, Chicago would be up there. Here's a few:

Charlie Trotter - Charlie Trotter's
Kevin Shikami - Restaurant Kevin
Rick Tramonto - Tru

question about the iron chefs

I was wondering if the Iron Chefs from the original Iron Chef Japan show were legitimate chefs. Did Sakai or Chen Kenichi or the Italian chef ever have their own restaurants or were their careers made on the show?

intensecooking said:
I was wondering if the Iron Chefs from the original Iron Chef Japan show were legitimate chefs. Did Sakai or Chen Kenichi or the Italian chef ever have their own restaurants or were their careers made on the show?

Most of them were top chefs in Japan long before the show came out. The only two that were relatively new to the scene were Kobe and Morimoto. Still, both of them made a name for themselves in the industry before they were ever on the show. The show just helped every Iron Chef's popularity explode.

Back
Top Bottom