My Origins

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mr_Dove

Senior Cook
I thought it might be wise to post a bit about myself since there appears to be another user with a similar username to myself. I thought I would explain a bunch to dispell the idea that we are related.

I'm a 30 year old man. My parents were (and still are) hippies in the most extreme form of the word. I grew up on a commune with people named Whispering Pine, One Pine, Grey Wolf, etc. I won't reveal my first or last names here but my middle name is "Morning Dove" (yes, my mother spelled it wrong. The bird name is spelled Mourning Dove but I'm sure mom was high when I was born)

Anyways, I've been Dove for as long as I can remember. My parents never used my first name and in fact I didn't know that Dove wasn't my first name until my teenage years. During high school one of my professors took to calling me Mr. Dove. It kind of stuck with me after that and has been my nickname ever since. MrDove has even been on my license plate for several years.

My mom wasn't around much when I was young so I had to fend for myself and feed myself with whatever was available in the kitchen. I have been the primary cook in my household since I was about 12 years old.

My wife's name is Robyn, which has been the source of many jokes since they are both bird names. We got plenty of bird houses and bird clocks at our wedding.

So, that's about all I think I'll include for now. Sorry for any confusion for people that I might be stalking Dove or otherwise trying to make trouble.

I'll admit that my name is very unusual and is an endless source of interest for people that I meet.

On a side note, I even have a web site at www.mrdove.net Nothing about cooking there though. A bit about some other hobbies and lots of pictures.

For curiosities sake, here's a picture of my dear hippie dad. He's a rastafarian, built his home with his own hands and lives 100% off the land, raising all his food (meat, fruit, and veggies).

family17.JPG

Thank you for taking the time to tell us a bit about yourself. It was very nice of you. I am sure you will be happy here!

That is a fascinating history Mr. Dove! Thanks for sharing that. OK here is my question. Feel free to answer or not answer. I have known some hippies in my time and it seems that their children are usually the opposite of them. Is this the same with you or would you consider yourself a hippie. I am a neo hippie or at least some people would consider me that. I was born too late to be a hippy from the 60's (I am probably about your age), but I think a lot of the ideals that the 60's hippies held are very honorable. I love the music too. I followed the Grateful Dead and Phish for a long time among many others. Are you or your parents into those types of bands? OK enough questions from me for now. Welcome to the site. Make yourself at home :)

Groovy story!

The house reminds me of a yurt.

My screen name comes from a 60's song by Bob Dylan.

My husband has an old friend who is much like your Dad. He hunts deer with a bow. Turkeys too, but has never gotten a turkey yet. He can clear the land, build a house with the timber. Garden, herbs, trap, hunt, build. So I would probably think your Dad was cool!

Yes, i find your story awesome! I think your baby is gorgeous too! Im taking that as your baby! lol And, i too love the Hippy Era. I was too young to live as a Hippy, but even if i could then, my dad wouldnt have allowed it!! He was a Babtist minister. But, i am very much like a hippy in my mind. I liked the hippy movement. I wish we could have another hippy movement!! No BRAS LADIES!!! BURN'EM!!:LOL: J/K!!!! And, i love to see men with long hair!!:LOL: lol! Welcome Aboard Mr. Dove!! I'LL BE LOOKING FORWARD TO YOUR RECIPES!

Your baby is absolutely beautiful. :) TY very much for sharing your story with us. I have a feeling that you could write some very interesting stories about your life in the commune. AND I bet you have learned some very interesting recipes too. Please feel welcome here and share more of your stories with us. AND of course we would love to see more pictures of your baby. :)

cute baby!:)
so is your Dad a phishhead or is he a deadhead? he seems like a cool dude. a lot of my friends are phishheads or hippies and are awesome people. i used to love going to phish shows before they broke up.
i'm glad you came to the site! welcome!

AWWW:-p Thanks for sharing Mr. Dove!!

Beautiful kiddos!!
Though it sounds as though your growing up years were not easy, it seems you turned out well anyway.
Welcome to DC!!! Here's a little color for you:)
17.gif

Welcome to the group. We're glad you're here!

You have a very nice looking family!

Bienvenue, MrDove. Thanks for sharing your site/life with us. Were you on a Mormon mission to Bolivia (I noticed a reference to an Elder)?

BTW, plenty of other pepperheads here, so you should feel right at home!

Back
Top Bottom