"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > New Member Introductions!

Old 04-16-2007, 12:02 AM   #11
Senior Cook

Hi StirBlue,

Have you ever tried making a healthy smoothie for breakfast or lunch?

The way I introduced my students when I conducted an 8 week seminar was every week to demo a new food item for them to sample.
The demand was there and then my friend and I conducted monthly raw food uncooking classes. We would have about 22 people in attendance each paying $30 for a food prep class and then a sit down meal afterwards served on real dishes, real flatware, and cloth napkins. Everyone enjoyed it but it was labor intensive since many of the recipes were very gourmet and we worked on the program starting with food shopping on Tues. am until we had the food show on Fri. pm.

StirBlue, I could send you a few recipes in about 2 weeks. Tomorrow AM some workers are coming to tear up the ceramic floors in the kitchen and then install and finish hardwood. It'll take a good week and a half or two before I am back to normal (whatever normal is!). I may not have access to my computer or recipes for awhile with everything torn up. We have to vacate the house for a few days so......if you are not in a big hurry, I am willing to share more with you if you are willing to wait.

Old 04-16-2007, 12:47 AM   #12
Head Chef

I can certainly understand remodeling projects. It is much more than the extent of being inconvenienced, it's more like being temporarily displaced. There is definitely no hurry. We have carpet in our kitchen! It has been rather odd to get used to but then when you drop something, it usually does not break. Even odder yet, we don't have that many spills??? Smoothie's are very popular in our area. I have not made a health food shake in a long time. We have made many fruit smoothie's of course. As for lunch it has basically been what is called a tomato frizzell smoothie. When my son was conditioning for sports he absorbed many high protein vanilla shakes along with a well balanced diet. Since my younger son took some culinary classes in high school he is much more open to new foods. I use many herbal medicines and like to steep a pot of tea. I wish you well with your remodeling venture and will look forward to your return to DC in a couple of weeks.

Old 04-16-2007, 12:57 AM   #13
Senior Cook

Spa Water

Here is a hot day thirst-quencher you might like.

Spa Water
1 quart cold water
1/2 cucumber, peeled and sliced (seeded or non-seeded "english" cucumber)
3 slices of lemon

Put the ingredients in a pitcher and stir.

I got that one out of "Small Changes Big Results" by Ellie Krieger
Old 04-16-2007, 01:02 AM   #14
Senior Cook

StirBlue, thanks for your understanding.

And Jessica, thanks for the recipe, sounds good!
Old 04-16-2007, 01:13 AM   #15
Head Chef

I think we are going to enjoy Spa Water. Thanks
Old 04-16-2007, 09:17 AM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessicacarr
Here is a hot day thirst-quencher you might like.

Spa Water
1 quart cold water
1/2 cucumber, peeled and sliced (seeded or non-seeded "english" cucumber)
3 slices of lemon

Put the ingredients in a pitcher and stir.

I got that one out of "Small Changes Big Results" by Ellie Krieger
Susan, I make this same water. The only difference is I use several sprigs of fresh mint versus the lemon. I let it "marinate" for a few days and let me tell you - that is SOME refreshing water. Thanks for posting this - it is a perfect summer thirst-quencher!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 09:35 AM   #17
Executive Chef

Both versions sound super.

Do you strain the cukes/lemon and or mint out of the water, or do you fish the cuke out with a fork and munch on it? I've never heard of this before but it sounds sooo refreshing for hot summer days.

That was a silly question....I'm sure either way is great. rofl
Old 04-17-2007, 03:27 AM   #18
Senior Cook

Half Baked,

I only recently learned of it,
but when I make it I will make it in a pitcher, leave the cuce and lemon in, pour it in a glass while the cuce and lemon/mint stay in the pitcher. :)
Old 05-13-2007, 01:39 AM   #19
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by StirBlue
Do you have some raw food menus. During the super hot days, I would like to have something to serve besides Gatorade.

For StirBlue,

It's been a couple of weeks since I promised to get back to you on this question. Been busy having hardwood floors installed, granite countertops, etc. Thanks for your patience.

Anyway, here is an idea or two for you. Why not try a fruit smoothie? Let your imagination be your guide. In a high powered blender (I use a VitaMix) add some frozen fruit, sweetener (honey, stevia, raw dates) , liquid (water, soymilk, rice milk), banana(makes it creamy). If you want it to be really healthy you can add some protein ie., Greek yogurt, raw almonds, almond butter, cashew butter, tahini (raw sesame butter), peanut butter and/or raw flax seeds (for your Omega 3's). You might want to toss in a few ice cubes. Also add a little vanilla for flavor.

Another idea: Try a raw soup. In the high powered blender add some fresh greens (ie. romaine, never iceberg), onion, garlic clove, water, seasoning, carrot, tomato, gr. or red pepper, parsley. Whirl in blender until smooth. This is just an idea jogger. Add whatever you have on hand or whatever suits your fancy. If you whirl a few minutes it takes out the chill from the "soup" by slightly warming it. Refreshing on a hot day!

Either of these concoctions can be a quick meal. Use your imagination!