Need help with gas grill purchase

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sopko1

Assistant Cook
Hi all
In Pittsburgh here.

Looking at getting new gas grill.
looking at $400-$700 range.
any input on the Charmglow model that Homne Depot sells?

Go for a Weber. For the price you are looking to spend you will not go wrong with Weber. They make an excellent grill.

Welcome to DC Sopko1!! I can't help you with your purchase as I don't use a gas grill. There are those hear that do, and can provide you with some great information. Sometimes it takes time. So be patient and your question will get answered. In the mean time enjoy DC and welcome!!

Enjoy!

ps Ya may want to look at Weber gas grills too!

Thanks

GB & Uncle Bob thanks for reply.

Yes do know about the Webers, they are great.
However, looking at (and causing confusion) of possible sear unit.

Anyone ever use one of these on a gas grill or are they mostly gimmick?

The grill looking at has a sear unit (since we love steaks rare, and ahi tuna seared and others) that thought might be nice.
Comes w/rotisserie as well.

The brands that consistently have a very good recommendation are Weber, Duchane and Vermont Castings.

What exactly is a sear unit? A gas grill, without anything extra, is perfectly set up already to sear foods. I sear tuna on my gas Weber all the time. I like my tuna as rare as you can make it, while still having a nice sear on the outside.

My Weber has cast iron grates and the temp gets up into the 600 degree range so there is plenty of heat to create a good sear.

Thx guys
Gives me more to think about.
Only reviews you see on Home Depot are the good ones I guess.
The sear unit is infrared, like the rotis.
main burners give 40K BTU but guess that not that important.

Seems the Home Depot/Lowe's brands are mainly high on show and not great for actually grilling.

Should definitely go for SS box and grates??

SS is nice to look at and it you are concerned with looks then by all means go for it. To me, it is not worth the extra $.

For grates I like porcelain-enameled grates. They clean up very easily and really hold onto the heat for a great sear.

Whatever your final decision, keep it out of the weather! Either underneath a carport/shed etc, or invest in a cover designed for the particular model!

Have Fun & Enjoy!

Uncle Bob said:
Whatever your final decision, keep it out of the weather! Either underneath a carport/shed etc, or invest in a cover designed for the particular model!

Have Fun & Enjoy!
Actually, I do not agree with this. Yes keeping it out of the weather will most certainly not hurt, but depending on the grill you get it may not be necessary.

My father has had a Weber gas grill for about 15 years. It is out in all its glory with no protection. He has never used a cover on it. He lives in MA so the weather goes from 100+ degrees in the summer at times down to -10 or lower in the winter. Rain, sleet, hail, snow, you name it and this grill has seen it. He has never had to replace a single piece and it works as well as the day he brought it home.

I have had mine for about 3 years. The first year I did use a cover, but after that decided it really did not do anything so I stopped using it. I have had no problems at all.

My Weber has been outdoors year-round since 1999, 8 years. Rarely covered.

I actually suspect that covers trap moisture in the grill and promote deterioration.

Thanks all

My decision point comes now at: (for my Big 4-0 B-Day gift)

1) Weber with nice cast grates and forego the rotis, larger space, sear unit, stainless grates

or

2) Charmglow with drawers (for utensils, plates), sear unit, rotis, ss grates and box

not sure if the Charmglow lesser model (w/o sear) would get as hot as Weber to quickly do steaks rare, tuna seared. So that was reason for maybe getting the sear unit.

decisions...decisions...

Last edited:
My only experience was with a Ducane many many moons ago. It rusted out in 5 years. So did my brothers. It's good to know they make somethings better than they use to.

Sopko1 said:
Thanks all

My decision point comes now at: (for my Big 4-0 B-Day gift)

1) Weber with nice cast grates and forego the rotis, larger space, sear unit, stainless grates

or

2) Charmglow with drawers (for utensils, plates), sear unit, rotis, ss grates and box

not sure if the Charmglow lesser model (w/o sear) would get as hot as Weber to quickly do steaks rare, tuna seared. So that was reason for maybe getting the sear unit.

decisions...decisions...

Definitely the Weber. Charmglow is not in the same league as the Weber

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom