Needing Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fran777P

Assistant Cook
hi to all ...well i guessd im the new kid on the block ... and i desparetly need some help.. as i speak my hubby has sheep tounges boiling on my stove:sick: and apart from eating them just boiled .. i was wondering if anyone out there in chefland has any idea what can be done with them to make them more appealing .... some where wayyyy back in my memory bank i seem to remember my Grandmother making them into some form of jellied meat but i cant seem to find any receipies .. CAN ANYONE HELP PLEEEASE:flowers:

we should have this one licked in no time, fran.

someone will be budding with answers.

what, has the cat got everyone's :-p

Welcome to DC!!

There is an offal thread in the forum which may provide that instanteous bit of info. I only recall my mum loading the tongues into a ceramic pudding basin with a saucer on top weighted down to get them pressed. There was obviously some liquid in there as they came out with jelly but I couldn't tell you what was in there. Love tongues!!

Thankyou to Bucky, Bilby, and David, for answering me and the warm welcome, its always great to meet nice people

Regards Fran

Hi and welcome to DC Fran. I remember going to someones house one time and she served sliced tongue sandwiches. I ate it to be polite, but I had a hard time getting it down. I think it was just the idea of what it was.:-p

Welcome and condolences, Fran. I remember the time newlywed DH made onion pie for the first time, drove me and the cat right out of the apartment. Be glad.....if he's at least willing to cook offal (similar to awful) then he might learn to help you out with other dishes...be kind, gentle, and.......oh, heck, I can't really say what I want to..will you really eat this stuff?

Hi Expat ....... lmao no way im going to eat what im trying to make, this is for my hubby who has absolutly no taste and dead taste buds.
Regards Fran ....... lol im still laughing at the thought

sheep tongue recipe

I've never tried this recipe---but it has good old basic ingreds, so it could work. (Frankly, I'm not sure anyone could "mask" them enough!):-p

read

Ingredients: Sheep's tongues, bacon, beef, onions, herbs, spice,
eggs, butter, flour.

Cook three or four sheep's tongues in good stock, and add some
slices of bacon, bits of beef, two onions, a bunch of herbs, and a
pinch of spice. Let them get cold, flour them and mask them with
egg beaten up and fry quickly in butter. Serve with Italian sauce

:chef:Sounds as though bilby's got you 'covered'---Welcome to DC...I've eaten tounge in a gumbo before...good luck - have fun:)

As a kid I spent several awiles in a hospital, in NYC. Nothing too serious, a bunch of surgeries, and I am none worse for the experience. Thanks to the folks who took care of me.

But every other meal was tongue. Not spiced or interesting, just boiled beef tongue cut into thin slices and served almost cold.

As I grew older I would hear that Kosher delis could make tongue sing. Have been in many Kosher delis but cannot order the tongue.

Kosher delis have a way of making things taste great, but I cannot do it.

We all have our food foibles, and I suppose this is one of mine.

I ate deer meat in every form and fashion for the first year of my marriage......my caveman killed it and brought it home for his woman to cook......can't even be in the same room with it today.......just ate too much of it......just like chicken pot pies.......4 for a $1 back then. Today I urp when going by them in the grocery stores........

For "expatgirl" My life mirrors yours---my husb came home with a deer the first year we were married, and I welcomed it because we were in school and so poor. But, Oh! After I cooked that ENTIRE deer, I swore I'd never eat venison again----and I still have not!

For "expatgirl" My life mirrors yours---my husb came home with a deer the first year we were married, and I welcomed it because we were in school and so poor. But, Oh! After I cooked that ENTIRE deer, I swore I'd never eat venison again----and I still have not!

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:Amen....hallelujia to that!!!!! Glad to know that I'm not the only cavewoman who suffered eating the same meat for a year and boy did I become very proficient with the meat tenderizer hammer............we were on such a tight budget that I had to write down when I even bought a piece of 1cent bubblegum.........my hubby once chewed "me" out in the middle of the grocery because expensive tomatoes had been placed in the grocery cart......then "I" turned around and it was a complete stranger and the tomatoes were in HER cart..........he was totally embarassed....... and she didn't slug him:LOL::LOL::LOL:

The only time I have had tongue was beef tongue diced up in a burrito, I did not care for it but DW loves it. I stick to the steak...

For some reason I keep seeing this image of me cooking a whole tongue and suddenly it starts talking back to me, mostly complaining that I am not cooking it right...

Then there's the talking cow thing from Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy...

i just saw an episode of bizarre foods with andrew zimmern, and he had the most delicious looking beef tongue sammich at a deli here in nyc. it was thinly sliced and really marbled; it looked fantastic in a tasty/fatty way.
i'll have to see if i can find out where he got it and try it for myself.

:wacko::wacko::sick::eek:To all the wonderful people who answered me ........ i have cooked the darn tounges .. to my disgust, hubby has eaten them and and i think he enjoyed them but i dont think he would have dared say if he did'nt after all the trouble i went to .. i have to say to expat ... you gave me something to giggle about to take my mind of what i was doing while i was PEELING THE REVOLTING THINGS........ ohhhh i did feel crook

Any way Thankyou All

Fran x x x x x x x

Just to inform: I am NOT Fran 777p or whatever that handle is. I am "readncoffee"

Sorry if I disappoint.

Back
Top Bottom