"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > New Member Introductions!

Old 01-05-2012, 02:40 PM   #11
Master Chef

Welcome: At 56 years of age, I am still spending 3 hours shoveling my driveway, and walkway to my house after a good snow, and the plow buries my driveway, without a break. If I can do that, I'm not old yet (of course a twenty year old can shovel that same real estate in about an hour and a half). So don't be calling yourself old at 55. I don't want to hear it.

Man, I wish I had that 22 year old body back. The things I could do back then were nearly superhuman.

Oh, you weren't supposed to see that.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 03:20 PM   #12
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutmegger1957 View Post
(I think there's an uncooked, thawed out chicken in the refrigerator.................

-Nutmegger1957
You "think"?? there is a uncooked,thawed out chicken in your refrigerator??
There's an area you should apply a bit more attention too. Knowing what you have and planning meals a few days ahead based on your fresh, non perishable, and frozen ingredients assures a well managed kitchen, optimizing the freshness of meals, and reducing waste and spoilage which will help you save money and enjoy your cooking and eating experience all round....

Welcome.

Old 01-05-2012, 07:14 PM   #13
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
Welcome: At 56 years of age, I am still spending 3 hours shoveling my driveway, and walkway to my house after a good snow, and the plow buries my driveway, without a break. If I can do that, I'm not old yet (of course a twenty year old can shovel that same real estate in about an hour and a half). So don't be calling yourself old at 55. I don't want to hear it.

Man, I wish I had that 22 year old body back. The things I could do back then were nearly superhuman.

Oh, you weren't supposed to see that.

I am a therapist in a skilled nursing facility, old to me keeps getting older as I age (close to 40 now) As far as I can see, you all are youngsters!
Old 01-05-2012, 11:37 PM   #14
Master Chef

You know you're getting old when that 70 lb-pull compound bow you shot with so much ease, even with only a 20 percent let-off, makes your shoulders hurt hwn you just look at it. In fact, it starts to look more and more like an angel's harp, rather than a wickedly powerful hunting weapon.

You know you're getting old when one chili dog and an eight ounce glass of milk fills you up.

You know your getting old when your kids can out-everything you.

You know you're getting old when you fondly remember riding on an aluminum flying saucer-sled, attached to a 75 mph snowmobile with a cotton rope, and fear creeps into your mind rather than an intense desire to jump on the sled.

You know you're getting old when you can no longer get into the driver's seat by jumping through the driver-side window.

You know you're getting old when fishing an upper peninsula stream is hard work (ok, it's hard work for the twenty year olds too, but it wasn't for me.).

You know you're getting old when you can no longer lift your DW up in your arms and carry her to the 2nd floor bedroom.

You know you're getting old when that 2 story drop to the ground that you made twice in the same day, with nary a bruise, except to your ego, makes you think of the broken body parts that would occur under the same conditions today.

But I can still shovel snow, non-stop for three hours.

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Old 01-06-2012, 07:38 AM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
You know you're getting old when that 70 lb-pull compound bow you shot with so much ease, even with only a 20 percent let-off, makes your shoulders hurt hwn you just look at it. In fact, it starts to look more and more like an angel's harp, rather than a wickedly powerful hunting weapon.

You know you're getting old when one chili dog and an eight ounce glass of milk fills you up.

You know your getting old when your kids can out-everything you.

You know you're getting old when you fondly remember riding on an aluminum flying saucer-sled, attached to a 75 mph snowmobile with a cotton rope, and fear creeps into your mind rather than an intense desire to jump on the sled.

You know you're getting old when you can no longer get into the driver's seat by jumping through the driver-side window.

You know you're getting old when fishing an upper peninsula stream is hard work (ok, it's hard work for the twenty year olds too, but it wasn't for me.).

You know you're getting old when you can no longer lift your DW up in your arms and carry her to the 2nd floor bedroom.

You know you're getting old when that 2 story drop to the ground that you made twice in the same day, with nary a bruise, except to your ego, makes you think of the broken body parts that would occur under the same conditions today.

But I can still shovel snow, non-stop for three hours.

You know you are getting old at 53 when your 75-yr old skip (curling) asks if you have asthma because of all the sweeping you are doing. A good response is "if I had asthma, I'd be using my inhaler by now" or "where's the oxygen tank?"
Old 01-07-2012, 04:30 AM   #16
Assistant Cook

"Chicken" scares me a bit........mostly because of the "Chicken Police" and all that. I guess I'll just dive in at some point.

I was thinking of perhaps a Chicken Pot Pie, or a Meat pie with Pork (a tradition in our "French" home) as perhaps my first dish.

Meanwhile, now that my "Joy Of Cooking 75" has just arrived, .........Griddle Cakes this morning!!!! (With Sausages).

-Nutmegger1957

-Nutmegger1957
Nutmegger1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 06:10 PM   #17
Master Chef

Try using that chicken in some eggrolls, or maybe make chicken caciattori. You can do it!

Old 01-08-2012, 07:38 AM   #18
Assistant Cook

Chief Longwind........I'll take your suggestions under advisement. I too "shovel" my driveway and walkways. At 55, I like the therapeutic value.

-Nutmegger1957

-Nutmegger1957
Old 01-08-2012, 07:39 AM   #19
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocklobster View Post
You "think"?? there is a uncooked,thawed out chicken in your refrigerator??
There's an area you should apply a bit more attention too. Knowing what you have and planning meals a few days ahead based on your fresh, non perishable, and frozen ingredients assures a well managed kitchen, optimizing the freshness of meals, and reducing waste and spoilage which will help you save money and enjoy your cooking and eating experience all round....

Welcome.
Yeah, ...........I knew there was, but.........since I have not taken over the meal planning yet, I'm still functioning under her meal plans. So "what's in the refrigerator and so forth, is still an exploration thing for me.

-Nutmegger1957

-Nutmegger1957
Old 01-08-2012, 07:53 AM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

You could always roast the chicken...that is easy. And, you do have to do something with it, it doesn't keep that long in the fridge.

Tags
cook